Killie v Motherwell

• Replies 265
  • Created
  • Last Reply
On 3/2/2019 at 18:31, Rugbypark said:

Very good Motherwell support today. After seeing the Hamilton support at Aberdeen of 36, it got me looking at the populations of the towns. Firstly, it surprised me Hamilton was 53k, 7k higher than Killie and much bigger than Motherwell. I believe you would normally add Motherwell and Wishaw together which makes their total bigger than Hamilton. Why is there such a big difference in the fan base of two clubs in the same area, with similar populations? Genuine question.

Thats something thats always intrigued me when this type of chat gets brought up...why would Wishaws population be added to Motherwells, but Blantyre for example, not be added to Hamiltons population?

Motherwell and Wishaw are two completely distinct towns.

On your question of why do Motherwell have a bigger support than Hamilton, I've genuinely no real idea. Historically, we've always been a much stronger club, they had a nomadic period which they've never really recovered from, fan-base wise. 

As a support, we do have fans from all over Lanarkshire and beyond, but the likes of Killie will be exactly the same in that regard. For a town with a population like Motherwell, I think the Club doesnt do too badly at all.

Accies support feels like it dwindled massively, even after their itinerant years. I'm sure during that period, they practically filled the South Stand for a cup game (the Quintongo game) which it is all but impossible to imagine now (that game may have been a one-off as it was as close to Hamilton as they had played for a while).

When you see the relative states of Accies and Airdrie in terms of support - both areas of similar population and demography to Motherwell - it's easy to see how it goes wrong with some shite decisions behind the scenes. 'Well had luck to survive our admin meltdown relatively unscathed and a run of 35-odd years in the top flight makes the biggest difference I guess...

5 minutes ago, Swello said:

Accies support feels like it dwindled massively, even after their itinerant years. I'm sure during that period, they practically filled the South Stand for a cup game (the Quintongo game) which it is all but impossible to imagine now (that game may have been a one-off as it was as close to Hamilton as they had played for a while).

When you see the relative states of Accies and Airdrie in terms of support - both areas of similar population and demography to Motherwell - it's easy to see how it goes wrong with some shite decisions behind the scenes. 'Well had luck to survive our admin meltdown relatively unscathed and a run of 35-odd years in the top flight makes the biggest difference I guess...

I think you have to take into account that fundamentally Motherwell and Killie have the history which our neighbours Hamilton and Ayr United don't. We've both won the league in our history and both won the Scottish Cup relatively recently, and that sort of stuff is what sucks the local fans in. Clubs like Hamilton and Ayr United who have won f**k all, and who never will, don't have these "big events" to attract casual fans along.

I think you have to take into account that fundamentally Motherwell and Killie have the history which our neighbours Hamilton and Ayr United don't. We've both won the league in our history and both won the Scottish Cup relatively recently, and that sort of stuff is what sucks the local fans in. Clubs like Hamilton and Ayr United who have won f**k all, and who never will, don't have these "big events" to attract casual fans along.

It's quite obvious that members of #tb4 would be the big shots in their respective shires.

Your point Fide basically confirms what Craig says. Both Kilmarnock and Motherwell are the current benchmark for non-city clubs (and have a record that a lot of the city clubs wish they had).

Archived