THE INSIDE WORLD OF SCOTTISH REFEREEING

7 hours ago, Ranaldo Bairn said:

Its a Still Game reference.
A Winston Ingram quote.

Cheers. So if GS11 (I dread to think what that signifies) continues to post, we can expect a lot more “Roond ye finport, ye snowflake”.

• 3 weeks later...

Didn't know where to put this so I'll stick it in here.

An A League referee has a mic on for an entire game. This is a 4 minute clip, very interesting. I don't see our refs being as vocal with each other (assistants) during the game, maybe I'm just not noticing it.

Check out @btsportfootball’s Tweet:

3 hours ago, Romeo said:

An A League referee has a mic on for an entire game. This is a 4 minute clip, very interesting. I don't see our refs being as vocal with each other (assistants) during the game, maybe I'm just not noticing it.

Yes, but Scottish (aka Glasgow) refs will never accept it. Imagine the comments the mics would pick-up.

"Ooooh, good tackle Broony. We can stitch the boy's ear back on later"

" When would you like your penalty, Jermain " ?

4 hours ago, Romeo said:

That's superb. I reckon that’s there’s a lot more talking among the officials than we think, but I doubt very much it’s on the scale of that clip. However, we don’t really know. I always get annoyed when guys round about me complain about a late flag from a linesman for a throw in. “That linesman’s only put his flag up once the referee’s given it.” I’m sure that the ref and linesman are in constant discussion about which way to give it, and if it’s dubious they will speak about it before giving a final decision.

1 hour ago, kingjoey said:

That's superb. I reckon that’s there’s a lot more talking among the officials than we think, but I doubt very much it’s on the scale of that clip. However, we don’t really know. I always get annoyed when guys round about me complain about a late flag from a linesman for a throw in. “That linesman’s only put his flag up once the referee’s given it.” I’m sure that the ref and linesman are in constant discussion about which way to give it, and if it’s dubious they will speak about it before giving a final decision.

You're right, theres way more than anyone realises. That's one of the things that annoys me when people complain about the extra officials behind the goals in some competitions "not making any decisions".

Just because they don't have a whistle to blow, or a flag to hold up, doesn't mean they aren't giving constant commentary to the other officials...

Archived