Ross County vs Ayr United: Tuesday 26th

• Replies 316
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I’ve usually been one who has backed Crawford to the hill on here, Facebook and SRE. However he’s regressed from last year. He’s lost his drive forward that got him the goals and assists last season, whether he is on the left or through the middle, he gets forward and either passes sideways/backwards or runs into the opposing defence and loses the ball. I’ve not seen anything this season that would make me think a team above us would take a punt on him. 

I can see both sides of the argument with Robbie, as he is one of these players who plays a position but doesn't always stand out individually, however McCall obviously believes he's very important to the dynamic of the team and he knows better than us I'd say.

However, from a fans perspective Robbie doesn't tackle enough as he's got a tendency to shepherd and back off his opponent, his decision making also comes across as pretty poor / negative as he rarely plays a forward pass and he rarely shoots for goal, even though we all know he's more than capable.

Summing things up the word I'm looking for is "frustrating" and when things are going against us it's easy to see why people single him out and get on his back whether it's completely justified or not.......

Any combination of Lewis Spence, Jamie Lindsay, Ross Draper or Don Cowie represents one of the most industrious central midfields in the division.  Having just Mark Kerr and Andy Murdoch there - as good as they are at their own thing - against them to start the match would be a huge risk.

McCall has been using one winger + a midfielder tucked in for most of the season, no?

County have used two wingers in a 4-4-1-1 themselves in the last two matches, but at a pinch Billy Mckay has come deeper into a 4-1-4-1 shape.

What i'm seeing here is that Ross County like to play 4-5-1 here, meaning that they have an extra midfielder to pick up loose balls and winning more 50/50s.

Now the sensible thing here is not to play 4-4-2, teams have sussed us out using that, i'd happily play 3-5-2 to change things up, with mark kerr playing in top of a triangle with Docherty and Murdoch behind him.

If we stick to 4-4-2, it'll the same outcome in the midfield but with Ross County having more quality players.

25 minutes ago, WATTOO said:

I can see both sides of the argument with Robbie, as he is one of these players who plays a position but doesn't always stand out individually, however McCall obviously believes he's very important to the dynamic of the team and he knows better than us I'd say.

However, from a fans perspective Robbie doesn't tackle enough as he's got a tendency to shepherd and back off his opponent, his decision making also comes across as pretty poor / negative as he rarely plays a forward pass and he rarely shoots for goal, even though we all know he's more than capable.

Summing things up the word I'm looking for is "frustrating" and when things are going against us it's easy to see why people single him out and get on his back whether it's completely justified or not.......

He started to add goals and assists to his game last year which was really needed as he’s not a play maker and not a midfield enforcer. I thought this season was the platform for him to kick on as a real good attacking mid, however I don’t think he’s got a goal and not sure he has many if any assists. I think he’s struggling to identify what type of midfielder he actually is and that’s probably part of the problem.

10 minutes ago, callum-ayr said:

He started to add goals and assists to his game last year which was really needed as he’s not a play maker and not a midfield enforcer. I thought this season was the platform for him to kick on as a real good attacking mid, however I don’t think he’s got a goal and not sure he has many if any assists. I think he’s struggling to identify what type of midfielder he actually is and that’s probably part of the problem.

Yes, he also needs to be playing in the middle as all his best performances come from that position but of course from our perspective that would mean shunting a Mark Kerr or Andy Murdoch out wide which we just can't afford to do. It's maybe the role he's being asked to play as he does tend to retain possession pretty well and his passing is pretty good, if very negative at times.

Doohan
         Rose Muirhead Bell
Smith                                  Harvie
             Murdoch     Kerr
                        Moffat 
            Shankland     Miller
Subs: Hare-Reid, Higgins, Docherty, Crawford, Cadden, McCowan, Hilton
Baws oot, let’s change it up and have a proper go, none of this Murdoch or Crawford wide and long balls to Moffat and Shankland.
No chance will McCall do that

Ayr should probably give County a guard of honour before this game seeing as how they probably think they've won the league already.
Should have named this thread 'Champions Elect Ross County vs Play off Chasing Ayr'.

Worked out well for us last season against Raith Rovers.

36 minutes ago, Iain said:

Ayr should probably give County a guard of honour before this game seeing as how they probably think they've won the league already.

We're not close to winning it yet. Avoiding defeat in the next five games would most likely put us on the brink as it features Ayr at home, Dundee United away and Caley away.

20 minutes ago, rb123! said:
2 hours ago, callum-ayr said:
                     Doohan
         Rose Muirhead Bell
Smith                                  Harvie
             Murdoch     Kerr
                        Moffat 
            Shankland     Miller
Subs: Hare-Reid, Higgins, Docherty, Crawford, Cadden, McCowan, Hilton
Baws oot, let’s change it up and have a proper go, none of this Murdoch or Crawford wide and long balls to Moffat and Shankland.

No chance will McCall do that

It’s more or less how we went in the second half v ICT. However I agree we won’t do it as it’s clear as day McCall is too stubborn to try and mix it up. 

1 hour ago, Iain said:

40 minutes ago, rb123! said:

Should have named this thread 'Champions Elect Ross County vs Play off Chasing Ayr'.

Worked out well for us last season against Raith Rovers.

Is this based on the opening sentence of the thread?  "County could effectively kill off Ayr United's title challenge in this one. Or they could lose the nice wee cushion that was established yesterday
I think Ayr have won 3 in 13 in the league; lose tonight and that would be 3  wins in 14  games, with Ayr 8 points behind Ross County and played a game more.
So if County win, given that form and gap, it could be argued that Ayr's title challenge may effectively be over, leaving County and Utd as the two arguable favourites.  
Not saying that would be definitive at all, but it would be arguable (if premature).

Equally,  County could lose and the nice wee cushion that was established over the weekend would be gone, and it remains very much a three-horse race.  As per the opening sentence.

Cant see anything other than that one sentence that could be construed as "WE'RE GONNA THE LEAGUE!!!1!!11!! 
(Trolling in the 'top of the league thread' doesn't count ;) )

The County fans I know are feeling a bit more optimistic after the weekend, after months of being concerned about our form and injuries and how we were going to sustain a title bid without improving. 
But I don't know anyone at County who thinks that's things wrapped up now.

1 hour ago, frankthetank22 said:

I think it's a MUST NOT lose match for County tonight, a draw wouldn't be a bad result.

I'm hoping Draper is fit to return tonight as I'd start with him and Spence in the middle, Lindsay i'd rather use as an impact sub if we're looking for a goal in the last 30 minutes.

Oh No !!!

Please, not another 0-0 draw (although we were beaten 0-1 on Saturday I'm counting it as a 0-0 as Dunfermline would never have scored without the penalty).

Predictions for tonight's game:

Ross County will Dominate tonights proceedings, with Ross Doohan making 5 top draw saves and Ross County hitting the bar 2 times. Ayr will run up the other end of the pitch and get a 94th minute penalty, BBC Alba's footage will cut off, with many Ayr fans scrambling over onto Twitter to check on the last second penalty.    

Other than the 5-0 at Palmerston, I've yet to see us being outplayed by anyone this season, despite some of our poorer results.

I'm also hoping that playing Ross County will in fact suit us as we'll have more space to operate and play a bit of football again, I'm also hopeful that a zippier surface will play into our hands as the recent poor state of Somerset has also been adversely affecting our quality of play.

(Come on guys let me clutch at a couple of straws).........

Archived