Ross County vs Ayr United: Tuesday 26th

• Replies 316
  • Created
  • Last Reply

What's the news on McKay's injury, is he likely to be out long term or just bandaged up and sent out in a couple of weeks?
He looked absolutely up for it last night and a totally overran our defense.....as the hat trick would suggest. 

39 minutes ago, THEHonestman1910 said:

It was hard to tell, I actually thought it hit the Ross county player, but it must've been Adams 

I haven't seen it back on the tv but thought at the time it quite clearly hit an Ayr players hand, i was sat in the East stand.

The forum discussions in the Championship sub forum are FAR more pleasant to participate in and about football too, the shite written by some of the top division clubs supporters is hard to read at times.  Obviously there's the ugly sisters but some of the off topic crap spouted by (some) hibs and st j fans is cringeworthy too.

1 hour ago, THEHonestman1910 said:

It was hard to tell, I actually thought it hit the Ross county player, but it must've been Adams 

You can tell as all the Ayr players in the penalty box claim for it as they just see a hand hitting the ball but Adams doesn't shout for it at all.

16 hours ago, D'Jaffo said:

Well done you’ve picked the one game where every single one of our players were complete shit. You can go watch the game back but to single the partnership of Rose and Adams out in that game to try and fit your narrative is laughable.

If you want to look at their partnership then in the games when the two have played together in defence there’s been 5 clean sheets in 11 games which isn’t as bad as your making out and on only 4 occasions was more than 1 goal conceded. Rangers, QoTS, Falkirk and Ross County.

Our defence might have been culpable at times today but we’ve got the second best defensive record in the league so I’d be focusing on why we’re not creating enough chances in games rather than our backline as it’s clear that’s where the issues have been lying recently.

I’m afraid the defence that played last night does not have the 2nd best record in the league.  You’re also forgetting the last game at Dingwall where we could easily have been 4 down at half time and the Falkirk game at home where we lucky to be only 2 down at half time.  These games all exposed the problem I have with Adams and Rose together - whenever they come under sustained pressure, they drop too deep and invite teams on to us.  

Hard fact is that the defence has been ropey as hell recently.  .  Odd thing is that Muirhead seemed to steady the ship (with some of the more apocalyptic warnings from Falkirk fans thus far proving over the top) making his sudden omission last night all the more strange.  The other problem is the extent to which Bell has faded in recent weeks as he has proved a hugely positive influence on Rose over the last year or so.  

6 hours ago, Savage Henry said:

Ayr look better than Dundee or Hamilton to me.  If you can pip Dundee United - or County - to the playoff final, I'd fancy your chances.

It might well be the case but I think we have allowed our bad form to drag on far too long now.  We would need to get it back to an acceptable level before the season ends and then get through a 6 game slog, just can't see it happening tbh. 

I’m afraid the defence that played last night does not have the 2nd best record in the league.  You’re also forgetting the last game at Dingwall where we could easily have been 4 down at half time and the Falkirk game at home where we lucky to be only 2 down at half time.  These games all exposed the problem I have with Adams and Rose together - whenever they come under sustained pressure, they drop too deep and invite teams on to us.  
Hard fact is that the defence has been ropey as hell recently.  .  Odd thing is that Muirhead seemed to steady the ship (with some of the more apocalyptic warnings from Falkirk fans thus far proving over the top) making his sudden omission last night all the more strange.  The other problem is the extent to which Bell has faded in recent weeks as he has proved a hugely positive influence on Rose over the last year or so.  

Except what you’re saying about the 3-2 Falkirk game is nonsense as they had two real chances and scored 2 goals. Neither of which our centre backs were responsible for. Also if you’re going pick games where the opposition team could’ve scored more then you could mention chances from just about every game this season barring the Dundee United games. Close shaves happen to every team and that’s why it’s important you have a competent goalkeeper and sometimes you get a bit of luck.

And I didn’t say the defence last night had the second best defensive record in the league. I said as a team we do which clearly shows that the issues lie further up the field. We’ve conceded 26 goals in the league this season. Only team to have conceded fewer is Ross County on 25. Only one goal of a difference there and all our defenders have played a part in us being pretty solid this season.

It might well be the case but I think we have allowed our bad form to drag on far too long now.  We would need to get it back to an acceptable level before the season ends and then get through a 6 game slog, just can't see it happening tbh. 

Shades of the 15/16 season in the last couple of months. I can’t really remember how we turned it around that year but it looked like we weren’t going to recover for a while with even Peterhead on course to finish above us.

I’ll be happy with a playoff final that we manage to shithouse our way through like we did with Stranraer.

22 minutes ago, D'Jaffo said:

Shades of the 15/16 season in the last couple of months. I can’t really remember how we turned it around that year but it looked like we weren’t going to recover for a while with even Peterhead on course to finish above us.

I’ll be happy with a playoff final that we manage to shithouse our way through like we did with Stranraer.

We never really turned it around and McCall just talked about peaking at the right time

We beat Airdrie 3-0 on 21 November and were top of the league going well, but then then W 9/21 L 12/21  after that game to the end of the season, the last two were just enough to secure second place.  It is kinda similar as injuries to key players kept us off it and the last result before it going wrong (Airdrie then Dundee United now) in both was probably the most complete performance in both seasons. 

The bravest thing about Billy Mckay was holding his arm together so that his son wouldn’t see how bad the injury was.

Top guy and we’ll certainly miss him. However with the only real option Graham or McManus now I think we’ll see five in midfield and more crosses for Graham.

Get well soon Billy Mckay

Archived