Ross County vs Ayr United: Tuesday 26th

An entertaining game of football tonight.
1st half was dire, lets be honest we could've been 4 or 5 down by half time.
2nd half, we picked it up a good bit and really came into it, but if all honesty it probably wasn't enough to get something, i know we couldn't do a thing about the 2nd goal but we should be a bit more resilient for the 3rd, to concede right after is very poor, and a stupid tackle from kerr. Great to see Shankland getting a goal, took it really well. 
Overall, that's us out of the league, the better team with better players won tonight.  

Can’t really argue with that.

Can’t remember the last time I’ve seen as big a team as Ross County. Giants all over the park with Gardyne and Mullin providing a creative spark.

• Replies 316
  • Created
  • Last Reply
An entertaining game of football tonight.
1st half was dire, lets be honest we could've been 4 or 5 down by half time.
2nd half, we picked it up a good bit and really came into it, but if all honesty it probably wasn't enough to get something, i know we couldn't do a thing about the 2nd goal but we should be a bit more resilient for the 3rd, to concede right after is very poor, and a stupid tackle from kerr. Great to see Shankland getting a goal, took it really well. 
Overall, that's us out of the league, the better team with better players won tonight.  
Too harsh on our first half performance imo. An even start and then we were on top for ten mins or so, before county took control.

We definetely improved in the second half, but still kept conceding at the worst times.

1 minute ago, D'Jaffo said:

Adams and Rose don’t work? The same partnership that started the season and were pretty strong until Adams got injured? You’re way off the mark with that one.

Yep, the Adams and Rose that shipped 4 goals in 25 minutes to queen of the south.  We could easily have shipped 5 or 6 tonight.   McCall needs to take some of the blame for picking Adams in the first place.  Almost as bizarre a decision as suddenly throwing Bell into midfield on Saturday when he effectively retired from that position 3 seasons ago.  We clearly have a decision to make with Rose as well.  

Just now, pandarilla said:

Too harsh on our first half performance imo. An even start and then we were on top for ten mins or so, before county took control.

Don't know about that Doohan had 3 really good saves and they smacked the bar, i didn't recall us having a shot in the first half 

Don't know about that Doohan had 3 really good saves and they smacked the bar, i didn't recall us having a shot in the first half 

Shankland had a massive chance. We also had a spell where we built some pressure with some good passing (Crawford and moffat in particular).

Great game, our defending was horrific at times but at least our midfield and attack were linking up again. County played well and deserved their win, Doohan was fantastic and all in all a fair result.

I'd also like to point out to all our doomster fans that we aren't as bad as some are making out and I'm certainly not going to start criticising our players, Manager or writing off our season as finished. 

Whatever happens we've still got good players and WILL continue to pick up points between now and the end of the season..........

4 minutes ago, pandarilla said:
6 minutes ago, THEHonestman1910 said:

Shankland had a massive chance. We also had a spell where we built done pressure with some good passing (Crawford and moffat in particular).

Maybe apart from that chance we still should've been comfortably beaten in the first half 

Yep, the Adams and Rose that shipped 4 goals in 25 minutes to queen of the south.  We could easily have shipped 5 or 6 tonight.   McCall needs to take some of the blame for picking Adams in the first place.  Almost as bizarre a decision as suddenly throwing Bell into midfield on Saturday when he effectively retired from that position 3 seasons ago.  We clearly have a decision to make with Rose as well.  

Well done you’ve picked the one game where every single one of our players were complete shit. You can go watch the game back but to single the partnership of Rose and Adams out in that game to try and fit your narrative is laughable.

If you want to look at their partnership then in the games when the two have played together in defence there’s been 5 clean sheets in 11 games which isn’t as bad as your making out and on only 4 occasions was more than 1 goal conceded. Rangers, QoTS, Falkirk and Ross County.

Our defence might have been culpable at times today but we’ve got the second best defensive record in the league so I’d be focusing on why we’re not creating enough chances in games rather than our backline as it’s clear that’s where the issues have been lying recently.

57 minutes ago, Lochwood said:

That’s them on to there third striker McManus difference in squads and budgets huge

We do have a bigger budget than Ayr, but maybe worth mentioning that Ross Stewart had only played 10 games at this level (9 championship, 1 premiership) and was really brought in from St Mirren's Development Squad.  He's been a very pleasant surprise for us this season.

Which just about offsets Declan McManus, who I refuse to call a striker.

Ayr's record since beating United 5-0 at the end of November:

P 11

W 2

D 4

L 5

10/33 points available

Don't be sad it's over guys, be delighted at the miracle of being in a league so terrible that relegation form over three months was almost good enough to keep you in a title race.

You'll still be in the play-offs at least, which is more than several bigger clubs. I'm sure Falkirk and Thistle would be delighted to swap places.

P 11
W 2
D 4
L 5
10/33 points available
Don't be sad it's over guys, be delighted at the miracle of being in a league so terrible that relegation form over three months was almost good enough to keep you in a title race.
You'll still be in the play-offs at least, which is more than several bigger clubs. I'm sure Falkirk and Thistle would be delighted to swap places.

Thanks

I think

31 minutes ago, Mgc1910 said:

Load of pish.  We’ve stood off the boy at the edge of our own box.  Once again we see the problem with Adams and Rose as a partnership - whenever we come under pressure they drop too deep.  Neither one of them has a clue positionally.  Haven’t seen enough of Muirhead to really judge, but Bell remains the only defender we have who is remotely capable of organising the defence.  The 3rd is just Groundhog Day for me.  We haven’t been able to defend set pieces for 2 seasons.  In fairness to Adams, it was asking far too much to chuck him straight into such a big game.

Not sure this is true. Bell is always liable to make an error in a game. 

- Rose has gone off the boil since his pre-contract. He needs benched for a game or two.

- Adams is just back from injury. 

- Muirhead hasn't put a foot wrong since he signed.

Its probably worth playing Muirhead and Bell to mix it up a bit in our next game.

7 minutes ago, Poet of the Macabre said:

P 11

W 2

D 4

L 5

10/33 points available

It probably says a lot about how well we started that the same form for the last quarter would more than likely see a playoff place, as you say.    That TV game at EEP at the end of March all of a sudden looks like it could be a big game for 4th place.  

7 minutes ago, Poet of the Macabre said:

P 11

W 2

D 4

L 5

10/33 points available

Lol,  that's fucking  awful. Didn't realise it was that bad.

Thought Doohan and Moffat were great for Ayr first half, second half the whole team picked up when going forward with Miller very dangerous.  Can see why we went for him in the window, shame we missed out to you guys.

Great game, and a huge victory for us, but that's 8 goals conceded in 4 games - our 442 gets us goals but is porous as f**k.  A minor complaint while we're winning, but a bit annoying that we cant seem to find a balance between the months of brutal football, and the current goalfests every game ( I do prefer the goalfests though).

Good to see Cowie back from injury, but by that point we'd already lost Stewart and McKay to injury.  Never known a season like it for injuries!

So aye, overall great to win, but concerns about defence and injuries, as per all season.

5 minutes ago, D'Jaffo said:

Absolute bantz that we’re still top 4.

How fucking shite are the rest of the c***s in this league.

Quite. Starting to seem like we lucked out quite a bit with how many teams woefully underperformed first half of the season.

Archived