Ross County vs Ayr United: Tuesday 26th

Think Semple could come in for Boyle. Has played three times against Ayr this season for Queens and been excellent.....

He is certainly a CB Shankland has found difficult to play against.

It’s more down to how Queens played that meant Shankland struggled rather than the player himself. If a team cuts off the supply line to a striker then he’ll always struggle and that’s what Queens did.

I’d be surprised if Ross County sat in here as a win will pretty much guarantee them the title.

• Replies 316
  • Created
  • Last Reply

While we've been far from our best in recent weeks, we're still not conceding any goals and are difficult to play against, I also think the recent criticism of Harvie is way over the top and the fact that he's got Robbie in front of him is in fact leaving him more exposed as he's expected to run the channel to get crosses in and back up the attacks but at the same time is expected to be back at FB if the move breaks down.

Smith on the other hand, while a better player, is also getting backed up by whoever is in front of him unlike Harvie.

Basically the whole balance of our team is thrown out when Robbie is played wide left but of course most of us who attend games are well aware of this.

Like mentioned above, if Robbie isn't good enough to get a game in the middle of the park then he shouldn't be near the team and certainly not ahead of any of our wingers such as McDaid, Miller or Cadden.

Semple is a strange one so far.

• Made his debut coming on at half-time vs Alloa at home in the league, he looked untroubled
  • Started away to Dunfermline away and was roasted for 45 minutes by Bruce Anderson, who eventually scored just before HT.  Semple was hooked.
  • He has been playing for the reserves because he was cup-tied for the next three matches.
  • He wasn't in the 18 for Partick Thistle, Grivosti was ahead of him.
  • I guess that he was ear-marked for playing in the reserves tomorrow, but if Boyle is out with concussion then Semple will be back in the squad and I think Grivosti will start. I'd be surprised if Semple leap-frogged Grivosti but it isn't out of the question.

It was assumed that Semple picked up an injury in the Dunfermline game, but I guess that Anderson just taught him a harsh lesson that day on how not to defend a higher line than he was used to at Queens.

The only time that I've seen County deliberately sit in was at Tannadice after they had the lead and picked off DU on the counter.  The co-managers prefer to have the team "go toe-to-toe", which is an expression they often use.  They were pinned back handsomely by Ayr in the second half at Dingwall but it wasn't part of the strategy.

I'm actually quite looking forward to this game as it should be a good barometer of whether we are actually rubbish now or whether it's just that we've really struggled to break teams down who are sitting in.

I hope it's a similar match to the last one at Somerset (without the storm of course) and a good spectacle is put on for the fans as our past few matches have been absolutely horrific as regards a viewing spectacle.

4 hours ago, bunglebonce said:

Semple is a strange one so far.

• Made his debut coming on at half-time vs Alloa at home in the league, he looked untroubled
  • Started away to Dunfermline away and was roasted for 45 minutes by Bruce Anderson, who eventually scored just before HT.  Semple was hooked.
  • He has been playing for the reserves because he was cup-tied for the next three matches.
  • He wasn't in the 18 for Partick Thistle, Grivosti was ahead of him.
  • I guess that he was ear-marked for playing in the reserves tomorrow, but if Boyle is out with concussion then Semple will be back in the squad and I think Grivosti will start. I'd be surprised if Semple leap-frogged Grivosti but it isn't out of the question.

It was assumed that Semple picked up an injury in the Dunfermline game, but I guess that Anderson just taught him a harsh lesson that day on how not to defend a higher line than he was used to at Queens.

The only time that I've seen County deliberately sit in was at Tannadice after they had the lead and picked off DU on the counter.  The co-managers prefer to have the team "go toe-to-toe", which is an expression they often use.  They were pinned back handsomely by Ayr in the second half at Dingwall but it wasn't part of the strategy.

I think Semple was signed as a player who is young and will learn his trade over the next 18months. Similar to Armstrong. 

The club was fully aware he was cup tied so it’s no surprise he has not featured . 

Grivosti played well in the Challenge Cup and deserved to keep his place at Partick.

1 hour ago, rb123! said:
5 hours ago, eez-eh said:
You have to assume that this would have been rescheduled for the weekend if it weren’t for BBC Alba.
b*****ds.

Don't think so because there's a full card of championship games for tomorrow night except for one game.

This is the only game on tomorrow night where neither team has a game this weekend.

I see they are survey drilling at the car park in the ground, must mean some construction starting soon by our absent director mr kirkland

More importantly the same going on over at our nearly new ground the heathfield site, two machines core drilling and markers out all over the area, spoke to the guys working there and they said they were drilling down 5 metres for a survey report.

Anything  going on with the  heathfield ground who actually owns it for example?

31 minutes ago, Lochwood said:

I see they are survey drilling at the car park in the ground, must mean some construction starting soon by our absent director mr kirkland

More importantly the same going on over at our nearly new ground the heathfield site, two machines core drilling and markers out all over the area, spoke to the guys working there and they said they were drilling down 5 metres for a survey report.

Anything  going on with the  heathfield ground who actually owns it for example?

They can start by sorting that wall at the front of the stadium .Looks ridiculous with the plywood and the heras fencing round it .

Doohan

Rose Muirhead Bell

Smith                                  Harvie

Murdoch     Kerr

Moffat 

Shankland     Miller

Subs: Hare-Reid, Higgins, Docherty, Crawford, Cadden, McCowan, Hilton

Baws oot, let’s change it up and have a proper go, none of this Murdoch or Crawford wide and long balls to Moffat and Shankland.

There is absolutely no chance that McCall is going to play two from McDaid, Cadden and Miller away from home, against the league leaders and nor should he. 

Crawford is getting all this grief for his performances 'on the wing' but, as I see it, he's not in there to play as a winger; McCall isn't asking him to hug the touchline, get to the byline etc. In playing left of a midfield two he's in there more to give us an extra mad in midfield to prevent us being overrun.

The width is nominally provided by Harvie getting forward from left-back, which admittedly we've seen less of recently. It was the same approach from McCall when we had Nicky Devlin at right back and the likes of Brian Gilmour or Ross McCrorie were playing right midfield. 

Its clear to see the biggest problem in this team right now isn't Robbie Crawford, or not playing two out-and-out-wingers (which I think would be foolish) but that teams are now much more effective at shutting down Shankland.

Archived