David Bowie

paranoid android

• 1 month later...

Too many songs to say, the fact that one of his best of albums runs to three incredible CDs says it all. The man was a genius. Personally I like Scary Monsters, the live version is superb.

How can this be into it's second page and nobody has mentioned 'The Man Who Sold The World'!

I'm not even a Bowie fan and know that he was a genius!

Also, Under Pressure is about the only bit of Queen, that I listen to.

Yours, ha-ha-ha, tee-he-he

aDONis

Edited by aDONisSheep

11 hours ago, Whitburn Vale said:

China Girl for me......"ooh baby just you shut your mouth",absolutely brilliant and original !!

I've gotta say. I prefer the Iggy Pop version but Bowie's is also really good.

I've always assumed that it's an ode to heroin abuse. I believe Bowie recorded it and made it a hit as Iggy was skint and needed the royalties.

What a lovely way to spend a Saturday evening, I've seen those documentaries before but to be honest I could watch them eternally on a loop such is my love and admiration for the guy. 

The parts of the Last 5 years with the musicians playing the music from The Next Day and Blackstar with Tony Visconti breaking it down at his mixing desk are fantastic, Blackstar in particular is an incredible album, what a wonderful parting gift, i'm about to put it on and sit back and revel in its brilliance.

Thanks Dave. 

42 minutes ago, stevieKTID said:

What a lovely way to spend a Saturday evening, I've seen those documentaries before but to be honest I could watch them eternally on a loop such is my love and admiration for the guy. 

The parts of the Last 5 years with the musicians playing the music from The Next Day and Blackstar with Tony Visconti breaking it down at his mixing desk are fantastic, Blackstar in particular is an incredible album, what a wonderful parting gift, i'm about to put it on and sit back and revel in its brilliance.

Thanks Dave. 

All I will say is that when my Soylent Green moment comes, Life on Mars will be the last thing I ever hear.

• 2 weeks later...

Went to a record fair in Queen Margaret Union couple of months back. Lifted a vinyl copy of Hunky Dory for a look. Anyway talked to the guy on the stall who claimed it was his best album, I countered with Aladdin Sane. Bottom line was he offered me my money back if I didn’t like it. Paid my cash and needless to say it’s been played to death the last couple of months. Can’t believe it took me all these years to get round to listening to it (already have 9 albums). Still think Aladdin Sane is better. Not by much tho.

Mrs. FP and I spent a wonderful couple of hours last night watching Bowie's set from Glastonbury 2000. An absolute joy and I was a bit emotional at the end.
We dug out a few of our fave DB albums and sat till half three this morning getting a wee bit pished on Aldi's finest Malbec and reminiscing.

19 minutes ago, Florentine_Pogen said:

Mrs. FP and I spent a wonderful couple of hours last night watching Bowie's set from Glastonbury 2000. An absolute joy and I was a bit emotional at the end.
We dug out a few of our fave DB albums and sat till half three this morning getting a wee bit pished on Aldi's finest Malbec and reminiscing.

Was a great set.

He really was sum boi.

6 hours ago, Florentine_Pogen said:

Great set, it certainly didn't feel like it was from 20 years ago and to think of all the stuff he left out of the set. 

I poured a large Balvennie and stuck on Hunky Dory then Blackstar and seemed to get something in my eye during the closing track of Blackstar. 

• 6 months later...
3 hours ago, Le Tout P'ti FC said:

Coming up to the fifth anniversary of Bowie's death next weekend.

6 Music have a huge amount of programmes on this coming week. It's quite a selection. Most of it will be downloaded and used to ease me back into the world of work post-holidays.

Bowie's piano/keys guy Mike Garson has put together a line-up of Bowie alumni for an online event to mark the anniversary - you've probably seen it, but it's on Garson's Facebook page if you haven't.