BBC Scotland

Enigma

Funny how this whole thing happened because they didn't want to do a Scottish Six and now it doesn't matter because the BBC will be a subscription only rump in a decade.

I really like a lot of the content on the channel but the nine doesn't do it for me. It's a shite time for news as well.

• 2 weeks later...
Funny how this whole thing happened because they didn't want to do a Scottish Six and now it doesn't matter because the BBC will be a subscription only rump in a decade.

Did what it was designed to do, show that 'an independent Scotland couldn't support it's own television service'.
That it was setup by the UK state broadcaster, is completely lost on them.

• 2 months later...
Did what it was designed to do, show that 'an independent Scotland couldn't support it's own television service'.
That it was setup by the UK state broadcaster, is completely lost on them.

It’s completely irrelevant, unless you are implying some big bad London centric conspiracy theory. It’s terrible, and that’s why nobody watches. A rugby player reading the news, and Steven Thompson.

Scrap it now and throw all the money back at BBC 4. Closing that really would be a scandal.

They’re showing DOWN AMONGST THE BIG BOYS, tonight at 9:45, that’s worth sticking in the planner!!!

• 2 weeks later...
On 15/05/2020 at 08:48, Savage Henry said:

It’s completely irrelevant, unless you are implying some big bad London centric conspiracy theory. It’s terrible, and that’s why nobody watches. A rugby player reading the news, and Steven Thompson.

Scrap it now and throw all the money back at BBC 4. Closing that really would be a scandal.

and there we have it folks, the very definition of the cringe.

I watch it often, and I value it.

Some hits, off the top of my head, since it started broadcasting in February last year:

The Nine (not up with C4 News, but nonetheless a good news programme, I will accept JB is not a born presenter).

Guilt.

View from the Terrace.

Inside Central Station.

Real Kashmir.

Being Gail Porter.

Live football.

Good range of repeats such as Tutti Frutti.

It's got next to no budget, but it does some good stuff considering.

On 15/05/2020 at 08:48, Savage Henry said:

The rugby player is pretty good on the radio. That said, I never watch him on that BBC Scotland channel. I think it’s probably fair comment to say the BBC are hoping it fails and they can quietly bin it.

If Rovers are back in the Championship next season, I’d maybe watch some of their away games on the BBC Scotland channel. 

Could they not just merge BBC Alba and the BBC Scotland channel?

The only programme I’d really miss would be  A View From the Terrace and I usually watch this on iplayer anyway.

Edited by Scary Bear

On 01/06/2020 at 11:42, Scary Bear said:

The rugby player is pretty good on the radio. That said, I never watch him on that BBC Scotland channel. I think it’s probably fair comment to say the BBC are hoping it fails and they can quietly bin it.

If Rovers are back in the Championship next season, I’d maybe watch some of their away games on the BBC Scotland channel. 

Could they not just merge BBC Alba and the BBC Scotland channel?

The only programme I’d really miss would be  A View From the Terrace and I usually watch this on iplayer anyway.

ALBA is mostly funded by Scottish Government. Although, I can see that happening at some point in the future.

From a PSB point of view: Gaelic from 12-6, One hour of Scots Programming and rest of it English from 6 onwards.

https://www.bbc.co.uk/programmes/m000jfbm

So much nope in one show, who watches this pish?

My missus watches quite a lot of youtuber type things. She knows it's fairly vacuous (and i reminds her from time to time) but there are undoubtedly parts of these shows that have an appeal for people (not a million miles from love island type programming).

• 3 weeks later...

Unless there's some mad issue around rights, BBC Scotland are now repeating old matches they've already shown. Tonight it's the 1998 Scottish Cup final which they've already shown recently.

BBC will have so many games from Scotland and the national team, so why are they not mining it? Even old Sportscene episodes from the 90s would be good. 

Instead they come across as lazy.

• 2 weeks later...
On 26/06/2020 at 21:33, Arthur Symington said:

Boxing and tennis next week so no old Sportscenes yet alas.

The viewing figures for recent matches have been dire (most not in the weekly Top 15)  so that perhaps has forced a change. The ratings BBC Scotland gets tells you how bad that is. Though it didn't help that the Euro 96 games were on the ITV Hub beforehand.

Or more likely it's too much hassle for them to think about which not-so-obvious matches to show.

Quite simple old runs of Sportscene between 80-86

The golden years before Souness

• 2 weeks later...

Would be good if the could show especially some championship and maybe even league 1 and league 2. Appreciate maybe bit harder to pull all together for the Saturday show but Sunday show could cover in depth premier matches played that day then do a quick round up of goals/incidents across all leagues and look at the tables etc.