The Pre-El Collsico

4 hours ago, Sarto Mutiny said:

I did a bit of digging last night, and it turns out United have scored more than two goals twice in the league this year. Given the talent in the squad, the lack of goals is a bit concerning.

Still, if we won every game 1-0 between now and the end of the season, I'm sure nobody would complain.

I’m a bit concerned about our lack goal scoring given the talent in the team.  An inability to score more than one always leaves a team vulnerable and we could have paid the price last night.

It is equally concerning that our two rivals for the title* have certainly shown the capacity to score a few in a game.

* without being defeatist I’m close to conceding that we won’t win the league; County are in a strong position and seem to have a winning mentality.  The two head-to-head matches will be vital.

That said I would be far more confident going into the playoffs than in past years.  What would be vital if we can’t take the title is to get second spot to minimise the number of play off games.

• Replies 43
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I noticed it during the game but it's even worse in the highlights and that's the cross into the box in the last few minutes.  The ball gets lumped in and Daniel Mackay heads it away from goal for some reason.  Watching it back, he had time to let it drop and hit it in on the half volley.  A bit of a howler looking back.

Bit late to the party with these comments but here we go...

I felt we were worth a draw. Odd line up to begin with. 442 diamond with Welsh on the right and Chalmers on the left, Trafford sitting deep and Polworth supporting behind a front two of Austin and White. United were all over us right from the off and we struggled to contain them at times. However after the initial rush of United attacks we slowly started to gain a foothold and were able to contain them whilst starting to carve out a couple of decent chances of our although mainly through set pieces with Rooney and then White passing up perhaps our best chances of the first half. Ridgers nearly gave up a comedy goal when he crashed a clearance off an onrushing United player and the ball went spinning back towards the ICT goal but fortunately for us it was just wide.

Second half saw United again start the stronger and they nearly bagged the opener when a cross / shot across goal looked to be heading in before Mckay arrived to batter the ball away. Chalmers then channelled his inner Messi to dance inside a couple of United players and poked a shot towards goal. Not sure how close it was to going in but it seemed to be cleared off the line. Then came the moment that changed the game. I had said to my pal that, as much as I love Donaldson, he is still prone to a brain fart but normally it's something daft like a slack pass out of play for a throw in but this time it was much more costly. With Pawlett having received the ball inside the penalty area Donaldson went crashing through him to try and win the ball, which he did, but you cannot come through the back of an opponent like that. Clark stepped up to send Ridgers the wrong way.

Pawlett then had a brain fart himself when he clattered McHattie when already on a yellow card and he was duly sent off. Doran came on to give us more natural width (obvious joke is obvious) on the wing and he sent in a wonderful cross which was met by Austin (who I had forgotten was on the pitch in the second half) but he couldn't make a decent connection and the chance was easily saved. That was probably our best chance to get on level terms save for a late Donaldson effort which was deflected and had the United keeper scrambling to tip it over. Whilst I felt we deserved a draw it was another case of not creating enough and not taking the few chances we did create.

Despite the odd set up and playing central midfielders on the wings I thought both Welsh and Chalmers did well there, Polworth had a reasonable game as did Mckay. White and Austin didn't really get much service for most of the game and when they did they weren't clinical enough. If that was Uniteds full strength team then that gives me a bit of confidence for Sunday as we, in theory, won't play that same line up / formation so you'd like to think we will be better but maybe I am being overly optimistic (for once).

Archived