Pars vs Partick

Tuesday night, East End.

Last time at Firhill we were seemingly really pish.

Last at East End we definitely were very pish, but we won as Partick were worse.

This Tuesday I don't care how pish we are as long as we win.

My uncle supports Partick (good guy, very sound) and I'm seeing him on Thursday at my older brother's wedding, so hopefully I can slag him over a Pars win.

We will probably be unchanged, although Louis Longridge in for Connolly would be the only change we'd most likely make (barring injury).

• Replies 148
  • Created
  • Last Reply

You must not like your uncle very much if you keep calling them "Partick" - they far prefer being called "Thistle".

Last couple of wins somewhat take the pressure of this game a little bit. Previously a draw would have been a disaster but instead it'll just be a missed opportunity to move well clear of danger. Between this game and Queens next weekend, we should be aiming for four points minimum.

Avoiding defeat is the most important thing tbf, Partick will see this as a fantastic opportunity to gain on us. 

I'm hoping there players will be gutted at the way they lost but getting beat by County isn't the result that'll relegate them. 

This is obviously huge, next 2 games are Dundee United and Ayr plus we've got a blank next weekend due to the cup so a loss here and we could be detached at the bottom by the time we next play.

Conversely, if we win this and there's a draw at Cappielow then we're 3 points off 5th with 10 games to go.

Hopefully Bannigan is back (though he's a cert to pick up one more yellow card and miss 2 games between now and the end of the season) but I think it might be too quick a turnaround which leaves us with not a lot in the centre of midfield. edit: suppose we could shift Penrice there with Elliott at LB and McMillan at RB (or vice versa), McMillan was signed as a full back after all.

Will bite your hand off (not literally) for a particularly dire 1-0 away win shitfest, with Joe Cardle not celebrating the 87th minute winner.

Reckon we should just carry on shitefesting 1-0 wins for the foreseeable future tbh.
Yesterday was our 10th clean sheet in 25 league games, which is mental given how ropey individuals in our defence have looked at times.
We’ve won the last two thanks to a keeper howler and penalty, so I reckon this one will be an own goal that sees us through.

If we do manage to win the feel good factor will be back at EEP and the promotion play offs are all of a sudden a realistic aim.

13 hours ago, D.A.F.C said:

Surely Thistle’s confidence must be wrecked after Saturday? We need to score early and start fast. Will take any win and possibly a draw is ok.

Could go that way.  I'd hope that Caldwell is smart enough to point to the first half performance with the team, rather than concentrate on the 2nd.  We were woeful in the 2nd half, probably the worst we've been in a while, but that needs to be put out of their minds.  We were blown away by a team that's probably going to win the title.  It's done.  Now we have to play a side that, if we want to survive, we really should beat.  

Or he spent the minutes after the game weeping in front of them, and we're about to get beaten all over East End Park.  Who knows at this stage.

1-0 Pars win. Danny Devine to score the winner.

In all seriousness, he’s been very good since the Raith game. Noticed Shields/Davidson constantly shouting instructions at the defence in the last 2 games and Devine has looked solid. 3 clean sheets in 4 games since Scully came in and Devine has been a big part of that. Now I’ve said that, he’s bound to have a stinker here.

47 minutes ago, CallumPar said:

In all seriousness, he’s been very good since the Raith game. Noticed Shields/Davidson constantly shouting instructions at the defence in the last 2 games and Devine has looked solid. 3 clean sheets in 4 games since Scully came in and Devine has been a big part of that. Now I’ve said that, he’s bound to have a stinker here.

I agree. Devine is far from as bad as most would have you believe.

Huge 3 points up for grabs. Biggest game of the season so far in my opinion.

2 hours ago, CallumPar said:

1-0 Pars win. Danny Devine to score the winner.

He was very shite against County. 

Cup game aside, The Craw has made a decent start. Single-goal defeats to the top two teams is no disgrace, three clean sheets in the last 4 games, got his first home win and away win. Back to back league wins in as long as anyone can remember. If you've been down on your luck then grinding out 1-0 wins or 0-0 away really gets the belief back. In the last few seasons we've been strong in the last quarter as the preseason fitness and conditioning work really starts to tell. Other teams are down to the bare bones and we're usually near full strength. 

Also, when you look at the goals for/against tally it's the lack of goals score that's the issue this year.  Every defender is going to have the odd shocker. Nobody mentions a sloppy goal against if you've scored 3 or 4. In a season where you're not scoring many the defenders can unfairly get it in the neck. 

1-0 again.

30 minutes ago, Shandon Par said:

Back to back league wins in as long as anyone can remember.

Not won back to back since beating Thistle 1-0 in the Friday night game end of September and Falkirk away 0-2 on 6 October. Only three wins since then!

Before the ICT & Ayr games I thought we'd struggle. Taking maximum points from those games is massive and unexpected. I'm worried that we've done the hard bit and now mightn't do the business tomorrow night.

Ach, who am I kidding, we're going up.

2-1.

Archived