Sons vs Rovers

• Replies 185
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Let's face it, we'd have snapped your off for 4 points out of 6 from East Fife away and Raith at home. The inability to see out the last few minutes last night was the frustrating thing.

Jim Duffy appeared to be raging with Brennan heading down the tunnel last night; yet watching those highlights I can't see the keeper at fault for the late equaliser. If anything it's midfield's fault for allowing the cross to come in or the central defence for allowing Nisbet an unchallenged header.

Flanagan was raging again to be subbed. Twice now showing remorse to the management when being subbed. Anyone think some players are not fully committed to mcglynn ?

They spent the next 5 minutes arguing with each other as well. The lad Flanagan looked like he was having a right go at him from the bench.

Lyness should have done better for the first and again for the second.

Defending for both goals was also comical. Clear your lines, it’s not rocket science yet happens week in week out, what do we actually work on in training ?

I’m an avid mcglnn fan through and through yet the last few weeks have broken me.

January was the time to put right the defence and here we are again dropping points due to the inability to simply clear our lines.

Despite sitting too deep at times we seemed to have got through it but we failed to defend well at Raith second. From losing the bell in the corner cheaply, barr just knocking it out, allowing quick throw in and then failing to pick up and stop cross. Finally henk losing nisbet . 

Add to that doms miss looks worse on highlights 

all in all a fair result I suppose 

2 hours ago, Bring Back Paddy Flannery said:

They spent the next 5 minutes arguing with each other as well. The lad Flanagan looked like he was having a right go at him from the bench.

It was pleasing to see Flanagan subbed - earlier he'd looked a very useful player indeed.

A real sickener to only take a point, given Raith seemed to have run out of ideas and DT passing up that glorious chance was scarcely believable.

If clearance can be obtained for McLean by the weekend, and he's match fit, then I'd be inclined to throw him in at the expense of Henk - the big man's positional sense is less than convincing at times.

Second goal is absolutely pish from Gillespie. 

Dumbarton didn't score from 40 yards, they were shots from the edge of the box that can result in goals when you don't clear your lines. Basic defending in putting laces thru the ball for the first and seeing out the throw in for the second. 

Doesn't take anything away from the quality of the strike but we are absolutely dreadful at the back. 

48 minutes ago, CALDERON said:

Second goal is absolutely pish from Gillespie. 

Dumbarton didn't score from 40 yards, they were shots from the edge of the box that can result in goals when you don't clear your lines. Basic defending in putting laces thru the ball for the first and seeing out the throw in for the second. 

Doesn't take anything away from the quality of the strike but we are absolutely dreadful at the back. 

The one thing to say is, our goals required more quality than the ones we gifted you guys last night. Which is frustrating for us. Some of the goals we have scored in the last few weeks have been top finishes but we continue to allow teams to score easy goals against us.

I agree with Calderon keeper at our first . Gillespie at second but how would you feel if your defence lost a 92nd minute goal like the one we lost.????

Fair comment - what a difference your team is compared to the 5-1 drubbing we gave you earlier in season

12 minutes ago, squeezeboxson said:

The one thing to say is, our goals required more quality than the ones we gifted you guys last night. Which is frustrating for us. Some of the goals we have scored in the last few weeks have been top finishes but we continue to allow teams to score easy goals against us.

Yup. We've scored some amount of really good hits from long range this season, but very, very few close range scrappy goals like Flanagan's opener. 

If we had somebody who could just pounce on ten rubbishy defensive mixups (I'm thinking a guy like Leighton McIntosh for example here) then we'd be pushing for the top four imo. 

On the positive side we took a more than deserved point last night despite not being fantastic, and looking pretty leggy at times. That wouldn't have happened a few months ago.

7 minutes ago, RR35 said:

Fair comment - what a difference your team is compared to the 5-1 drubbing we gave you earlier in season

Stevie Aitken does not like this.

12 hours ago, Ding Dang Doo said:

Is anyone really surprised by this? I'm all for giving managers a chance but the problems in our team are so obvious and McGlynn seems oblivious to them. Added to that this constant changing of keepers and I've lost all faith in him.

Never thought he was the right guy when he was brought back and the board only did it to appease the fans.

With you

It was pleasing to see Flanagan subbed - earlier he'd looked a very useful player indeed.
A real sickener to only take a point, given Raith seemed to have ran out of ideas and DT passing up that glorious chance was scarcely believable.
If clearance can be obtained for McLean by the weekend, and he's match fit, then I'd be inclined to throw him in at the expense of Henk - the big man's positional sense is less than convincing at times.

I thought big henk was fantastic last night, through himself in front of attackers all night, plenty last ditch tackles, I thought him and Barr were great together, sickener for the equaliser though, but probably more down to the midfield than the defensive guys

We are the absolute kings at losing goals with the last kick of the ball that cost us points/survival/a trophy. In recent memory I can remember:

Ayr at home 16/17 - relegation 6 pointer (we were 2-0 up in the 89th min IIRC)
Pars away 17/18 (Froxy wonder goal game)
Morton at home 17/18 (Burt equalises to make it 2-2 in the 88th minute and we concede in the 93rd to lose 3-2)
ICT in the cup final
Alloa in the playoff final
Brechin away this season
Brechin away again this season
Raith at home this season

Archived