Morton v Queens

28 minutes ago, the tactician said:

Alan Martin has done fine when he has been fit. Just an easy target for fans who probably just see the highlights of games and don’t see him making saves that keeps us in games

A loan from premier league goalkeeper is another risk how do we know if they are going to be ready and commanding?
Some people need a reality check and realise what level we are at. Queens are punching above our weight anyway

A target that doesn't move is indeed an easier target than one that does.  Good observation.

• Replies 158
  • Created
  • Last Reply
1 hour ago, the tactician said:

Alan Martin has done fine when he has been fit. Just an easy target for fans who probably just see the highlights of games and don’t see him making saves that keeps us in games

A loan from premier league goalkeeper is another risk how do we know if they are going to be ready and commanding?
Some people need a reality check and realise what level we are at. Queens are punching above our weight anyway

I see plenty of games and am firmly of the opinion that Martin isn`t good enough. 

We already know Martin isn`t commanding so I don`t think the risk around a loan player is actually that great.  

Also I don`t agree  we are somehow punching above our weight.  We are a well established championship team and the league this season is bang average at best.

3 hours ago, the tactician said:

Punching above our weight?

I wouldn't really say so.  Falkirk and Partick are bigger and currently a little below us, but that might change.  In the wider scheme, Raith are of similar size and beneath us in the structure.  

Above us, you've got Ayr who are of similar stature, as are Hamilton and Livingston who are well above.  

I'd say where we are is about right.

That's only the case however if you ignore the Dobbie factor.  He more than anyone is somewhere that involves a huge mismatch between his stature and that of his employer.  His presence should have us punching above our weight, but despite his brilliance, it doesn't.

5 hours ago, steakpiegravy said:

Not a huge fan of Martin even with his relative improvement over the year but I thought he had a decent game by his standards last night and came out and punched a few away when needed. Hes not one to come for crosses which is a problem. Thought it was a good entertaining 0-0 draw up until the goal. Problem seems to be with tactics we're stuck if Dobbie is marked out the game and with the amount of running the top two were doing, we don't seem to have a pair of legs up front to sub on to change the game. 

Dobbie wasnt marked out of the game though. He had three very good chances plus one terrific strike from outside the box McCrorie made a fine save from. Add in the one Lyndon slashed out of the ground when clean through out wide and we had enough decent chances to win two games. We just didnt take them.

There seems to me to be a lot of people attacking a 'negative line up' who werent there. It wasnt perfect. I thought Wilson looked a bit lost wide and not convinced about Maguire sitting in front of the back four but we certainly didnt play negatively. I thought the first half was good entertainment although Morton probably shaded it. We were the better side for the first 30 mins second half and for me Morton only came into it when we had to put Stirling on for Mercer who was having a great game. Granted Morton then dominated the last ten mins. The goal was poor from Brownlie unfortunately on the back of a terrific first 85 mins from him. Its easy to blame Martin as usual but he didnt have a prayer on it.

25 minutes ago, Skyline Drifter said:

The goal was poor from Brownlie unfortunately on the back of a terrific first 85 mins from him. Its easy to blame Martin as usual but he didnt have a prayer on it.

There would seem to be  a real theme with players actually playing quite well and then making an awful mistake to cost us points. 

You are absolutely correct that Martin does on occasion attract lazy criticism (sometimes from me) when he isn`t at fault. Equally some defend him when is absolutely culpable. His inability, even unwillingness, to deal with cross balls in an even adequate way must IMHO be a factor in how poorly we defend them. It certainly gives opponents a real incentive to fire crosses in on top of a backline and goalkeeper that seem to find a way to concede from them with monotonous regularity.

48 minutes ago, Skyline Drifter said:

Dobbie wasnt marked out of the game though. He had three very good chances plus one terrific strike from outside the box McCrorie made a fine save from. Add in the one Lyndon slashed out of the ground when clean through out wide and we had enough decent chances to win two games. We just didnt take them.

There seems to me to be a lot of people attacking a 'negative line up' who werent there. It wasnt perfect. I thought Wilson looked a bit lost wide and not convinced about Maguire sitting in front of the back four but we certainly didnt play negatively. I thought the first half was good entertainment although Morton probably shaded it. We were the better side for the first 30 mins second half and for me Morton only came into it when we had to put Stirling on for Mercer who was having a great game. Granted Morton then dominated the last ten mins. The goal was poor from Brownlie unfortunately on the back of a terrific first 85 mins from him. Its easy to blame Martin as usual but he didnt have a prayer on it.

Brownlie should never have played the full game yet another mistake from Naysmith  

1 hour ago, Skyline Drifter said:

We started with 8 players whose primary skill is defending, and the manager admits in his post-match interview that he set us up to be "physical".  It doesn't matter how you dress it up, it was a negative lineup.

I wasn't there, a fact I am very glad about in hindsight.  There have been plenty of posts from people who were though indicating how poor we were.  That's good enough for me.

Ultimately we lost the game and it doesn't really matter how well we played to reach that conclusion it results in the same number of points.  There is no chance in hell though we gave ourselves our best possible chance of winning it by playing that team though.  That is what is pissing people off.  The fact the manager, who is usually so honest about things, isn't admitting to making a massive error is deeply concerning.

15 minutes ago, palmy_cammy said:

There is no chance in hell though we gave ourselves our best possible chance of winning it by playing that team though.  That is what is pissing people off.  

That's precisely the song that WE'VE been singing since the turn of the year. 

16 hours ago, Skyline Drifter said:

For me there were long periods in the game where we were trying to get the ball to Dobbie but he wasn’t free. Dykes seems to win about 1 header in 5 which means 1 in 4 attacks that way just peter out. I think we need a plan B. Notably one or two Queens players getting shirty with Dobs for shooting from awkward positions when he should have passed. Not a good sign IMO

11 hours ago, Northfield 53 said:

Brownlie should never have played the full game yet another mistake from Naysmith  

Agree with SD that Brownlie did well,  until the goal unfortunately,  but it was not his fitness that was the problem there so not necessarily a problem to play him for the whole game.  Other substitutions could have been handled differently though. 

13 hours ago, Skyline Drifter said:

13 minutes ago, Fae_the_'briggs said:

Agree with SD that Brownlie did well,  until the goal unfortunately,  but it was not his fitness that was the problem there so not necessarily a problem to play him for the whole game.  Other substitutions could have been handled differently though. 

The operation was a success but the patient died.

7 minutes ago, palmy_cammy said:

The operation was a success but the patient died.

If it was down to Brownlie's fitness that we lost the goal,  which is what my post was responding to, then your comment would have some validity. It wants down to his fitness. 

17 hours ago, Monkey Tennis said:

That's only the case however if you ignore the Dobbie factor.  He more than anyone is somewhere that involves a huge mismatch between his stature and that of his employer.  His presence should have us punching above our weight, but despite his brilliance, it doesn't.

It's almost as if spunking your budget on a single, bloated marquee player leaves you with glaring weaknesses that you can't afford to deal with everywhere else on the park. 

24 minutes ago, virginton said:

It's almost as if spunking your budget on a single, bloated marquee player leaves you with glaring weaknesses that you can't afford to deal with everywhere else on the park. 

It's almost as if the "single, bloated marquee player" was a failure. Instead of being one of the highest scoring players in the UK so far this season. 

If course, you're never going to let that get in the way of a good troll, are you? 

That's a great statistic champ: how many did he score again on Tuesday night and how is their promotion play-off push getting on as a result? 

The judgment of any transfer strategy is borne out by success in league and cup competitions and it's no surprise to learned observers that Queens are floundering on all fronts yet again. It happens every single year regardless of how many goals their hotshot centre forward racks up against absolute shite. 

1 hour ago, virginton said:

That's a great statistic champ: how many did he score again on Tuesday night and how is their promotion play-off push getting on as a result? 

The judgment of any transfer strategy is borne out by success in league and cup competitions and it's no surprise to learned observers that Queens are floundering on all fronts yet again. It happens every single year regardless of how many goals their hotshot centre forward racks up against absolute shite. 

Methinks Dobie has had more clubs than Weak Brain has career goals. Maybe if Dobbie went on Masterchef you would appreciate his talent a bit more.

2 hours ago, virginton said:

So he didn't score on Tuesday. Big deal. 

Are you seriously still contending that Dobbie, one of the highest scorers in the UK at present, is the "puffing mess"  that you called him earlier in the season? Really??

Imagine him and  today's Lawrence Shankland playing for Morton, what a thought. And managed by David Hopkin, wonderful. 

30 minutes ago, Rudolph Hucker said:

So he didn't score on Tuesday. Big deal. 

Are you seriously still contending that Dobbie, one of the highest scorers in the UK at present, is the "puffing mess"  that you called him earlier in the season? Really??

Imagine him and  today's Lawrence Shankland playing for Morton, what a thought. And managed by David Hopkin, wonderful. 

It's as if the people having a pop at Dobbie because he didn't score against their team come across as being a  bit disappointed,  and every one of them would bite your hand off to have him in their team,  puffing mess or not. 

Archived