Morton v Queens

It's been a long time since I've seen a goalkeeper at this level that doesn't at least strike a little bit of fear when the ball comes near him.

Mcrorie is just so composed and confident in himself, but it's confidence based on ability to back it up rather than Lee Robinson type confidence.

His kicking isn't the greatest although his long throws are excellent, but besides that he's an excellent keeper and I genuinely think he will be rangers' first choice keeper one day or have a successful career down in the championship.

• Replies 158
  • Created
  • Last Reply

a few weeks ago we were hammering ross county then premier side dundee . naysmith was manager off the month . all things rosy . now we are all shouting naysmith out .  we are going threough a bad spell yes with a few injuries  but threave rovers have a bigger squad than qos . give the guy a break . we are QUEEN OF THE SOUTH . PRIDE OF THE SOUTH

Even by Gary Naysmith’s standards that team selection tonight takes negativity to a new level. Absolutely horrific to have Doyle and Wilson on the flanks when Aird and Stirling were left in reserve.

As I have said for some considerable time a negative outlook will ultimately achieve nothing and I just hope that the marginal cushion that we have is enough to avoid relegation in our Centenary season. It is all very well “talking a good game” but when you continually punt aimless balls in the general direction of Dobbie and hope that he can somehow keep delivering wonder goals game after game is a strategy that is ultimately destined to fail.

Despite having a thin squad we have more than enough quality in our ranks to be able to go to places like Morton with a positive outlook and give ourselves a chance of taking 3 points. No future whatsoever in this type of football but I guess we are stuck with it till end of season.

Two poor teams on display but a just about deserved win for The Famous in the end. Apart from the set-piece defending for the goal that would deserve to lose any game, we also had the better of the chances in both halves. I don't think it'll prove more of a turnaround in JJ's reign than the very similar win against Ross County last month but it puts to bed a lot of the knicker-wetting pish about a relegation battle. This division is stacked with absolute dross that we'll get some points against and Queen of the South are simply the gift that just keeps on giving.

If anyone is wondering where the puffing 'marquee signing' actually was during this evening's game then you can find him in Lee Kilday's back pocket as per fucking usual.

128b914f-d8af-467d-86ec-ee3adec20d70.thumb.jpg.3489d5026dd4dda3b304d2ba7c71d044.jpg

HUGE WIN last night, much needed! The 1st half was the same old same, huffing and puffing with no real end product, pretty dire stuff for the most part until Tidser got into his stride and started threading passes about but defenders all over the shop under the slightest bit of pressure, very lucky Dobbie skied that spinning shot inside the box. 2nd half, massive difference, every player put in some effort and in the end we deserved that goal, thought Tumilty was excellent and Iredale at least tried to drive at defenders and make things happen. It's pretty simple for JJ, just play Tidser in the middle every single week and stop fucking aboot! Thought Thomson done more when he came on than Dallas done the whole game, great hold up play for once and unlucky not to score right before we scored.

Would go with the same team on Friday only Thomson getting the nod over Dallas, only other change I wouldn't be fussed about would be Millar in for Jim, nothing else needed JJ, NOTHING!

10 hours ago, port-ton said:

It's been a long time since I've seen a goalkeeper at this level that doesn't at least strike a little bit of fear when the ball comes near him.

Mcrorie is just so composed and confident in himself, but it's confidence based on ability to back it up rather than Lee Robinson type confidence.

His kicking isn't the greatest although his long throws are excellent, but besides that he's an excellent keeper and I genuinely think he will be rangers' first choice keeper one day or have a successful career down in the championship.

Eh? His kicking is one of his biggest strengths, not sure what you've been watching mate but apart from 1 or 2  kicks from under pressue back passes he's been pretty much sound!

Eh? His kicking is one of his biggest strengths, not sure what you've been watching mate but apart from 1 or 2  kicks from under pressue back passes he's been pretty much sound!
I've seen three of his four games and in those matches his kicking has been adequate. He struggles to get much distance on them and his aim isnt always the greatest.

His kicking is absolutely fine for this level but for someone with his talent and how high he could go in the game it seems like a bit of a weakness in my opinion.

Now that the frustration has subsided a bit I was thinking back over the game, more how it was played than where the result leaves us. I thought for about 75% of the game there was little in it,  both teams having good passages  of play interspersed with some shambolic passing,  tackling and decision making by players. I would say up until the last twenty minutes or so both keepers had about equal work to do which they handled fairly comfortably. The turning point was Morton introducing their subs and the game swung in their favour as Queens tired and sat deeper. I still didn't feel Queens were really under any pressure of conceding except from a couple of free-kicks  around the edge of our box and of course from corners, which we always struggle with,   but Morton gradually took full control. Of course the inevitable goal from a corner came as  our keeper and defence again failed to deal with it.  Stirling had been introduced just when Morton were starting to get on top but made little impact and the introduction of our other two subs was far to late to give us a chance of getting back into the game.   Leaving the result aside it was a poor game overall which tbf Morton probably deserved to edge  because of they finished far stronger than us. The game was probably best summed up by a moment in the second half when a Morton player in the middle of the park tried a long pass which went about 20 yards to Jacobs who had a chance to set up a counter attack but only succeeded in passing it back to the Morton player. I don't suppose Morton will care if it was a classic or not,   it's all about scrambling for points ad games run out. 

1 hour ago, port-ton said:

I've seen three of his four games and in those matches his kicking has been adequate. He struggles to get much distance on them and his aim isnt always the greatest.

His kicking is absolutely fine for this level but for someone with his talent and how high he could go in the game it seems like a bit of a weakness in my opinion.

I can't agree with you.  I've seen him in 2 games so far and have been very impressed with him.  He gets more range on his kicks than Derek Gaston.  I don't like his tendency to come out almost to the centre circle when we have a free kick (and Lyndon Dykes almost caught him out last night with a Ryan McCann tribute act, ok not quite 84 yards but not far from the halfway line) but that's just a simple matter of someone telling him to stay in the vicinity of his goal.  I remember Gaston almost got caught out by Dobbie with a 50 yarder when he was out of goal but managed to perform an incredible save while backpedalling so maybe it's just a Morton thing - David Wylie's influence perhaps.

I did notice last night a few kickouts that were sent on a low trajectory a la Lee Robinson.  Maybe trying to get extra range or just get the ball to a forward player marginally quicker.  Of course everyone know that the optimum angle for range is 45 degrees to the horizontal when the ball is kicked, so maybe someone could give Robbie a copy of Physics is Fun to read.  Unarguably, he looks a terrific prospect, by far the best Morton  keeper I have seen at Cappielow since the days of Roy Baines.  I would not be surprised if he ended up playing for Scotland - actually in some respects he reminds me of a young Joe Hart for some reason.  Sadly we are unlikely to have him for long.

Regarding the game itself, Morton looked superior to Queens all over the park, and that was largely down to Tidser being on the park and in the correct position.  Reece Lyon(s?) was terrific, and having a decent midfield improved the other players.  Had we had any credible strikers we would probably have won by more, but we have nobody better than mediocre.  Denny Johnstone is a big miss for us and I doubt we'll see him again next season as his injury record may well curtail his career.  What I did notice about Queens is how often their basic control let them down, with simple balls ricocheting yards away from them.  Their defending at the goal was shocking and the keeper just watched the ball bounce past him within touching distance.  Morton deserved the win, but with our strikers it's always going to be the midfield or defenders that get us out of jail.

28 minutes ago, Alibi said:

I can't agree with you.  I've seen him in 2 games so far and have been very impressed with him.  He gets more range on his kicks than Derek Gaston.  I don't like his tendency to come out almost to the centre circle when we have a free kick (and Lyndon Dykes almost caught him out last night with a Ryan McCann tribute act, ok not quite 84 yards but not far from the halfway line) but that's just a simple matter of someone telling him to stay in the vicinity of his goal.  I remember Gaston almost got caught out by Dobbie with a 50 yarder when he was out of goal but managed to perform an incredible save while backpedalling so maybe it's just a Morton thing - David Wylie's influence perhaps.

I did notice last night a few kickouts that were sent on a low trajectory a la Lee Robinson.  Maybe trying to get extra range or just get the ball to a forward player marginally quicker.  Of course everyone know that the optimum angle for range is 45 degrees to the horizontal when the ball is kicked, so maybe someone could give Robbie a copy of physics is Fun to read.  Unarguably, he looks a terrific prospect, by far the best Morton  keeper I have seen at Cappielow since the days of Roy Baines.  I would not be surprised if he ended up playing for Scotland - actually in some respects he reminds me of a young Joe Hart for some reason.  Sadly we are unlikely to have him for long.

He`s certainly head and shoulders above the statue in goals for us.

2 minutes ago, Alibi said:

I did notice last night a few kickouts that were sent on a low trajectory a la Lee Robinson.  Maybe trying to get extra range or just get the ball to a forward player marginally quicker.  Of course everyone know that the optimum angle for range is 45 degrees to the horizontal when the ball is kicked, so maybe someone could give Robbie a copy of physics is Fun to read.  Unarguably, he looks a terrific prospect, by far the best Morton  keeper I have seen at Cappielow since the days of Roy Baines.  I would not be surprised if he ended up playing for Scotland - actually in some respects he reminds me of a young Joe Hart for some reason.  Sadly we are unlikely to have him for long.

I noticed your goalie coach Wylie ?  a couple of times last night signalling for your keeper to get back a bit nearer goals when the ball was up near Queens'end of the park. I'm not sure if Dykes' effort would have seriously troubled him if it had been on target but it was worth a go. 

Usually any time our youth players play they either make an initial impact then fade away, never to be seen again. However, I'm really impressed with Lyon. That's the 3rd/4th time I've seen him play this season and every time he's been outstanding for a player of his age and experience. Strong, good passer, able to run with the ball and is always available for a pass. What stood out for me though is he never panics on the ball. Last night a couple of times he had 2/3 players on him and managed to either get away at ease or pick out a tricky pass.  I think he's only 18 but definitely looks like there's a player in there. 

14 hours ago, palmy_cammy said:

Alan Martin can get himself so far to f**k, and then f**k off some more.  Rank.

probably kept us in the game with 3/4 cracking saves before the game, maybe defenders fault for losing his man

With our wage budget i would imagine Martin would be the best goalkeeper available on his wage

59 minutes ago, the tactician said:

probably kept us in the game with 3/4 cracking saves before the game, maybe defenders fault for losing his man

With our wage budget i would imagine Martin would be the best goalkeeper available on his wage

Martin`s  endless unwillingness and inability to deal with crosses even within his own 6 yard box continues to be a fundamental  problem for us. While the defenders need to take some blame too every team knows they can punish us by firing balls in close to the goal.  The odd good save as a shot stopper is a given for a keeper at this level. I`ve no idea what his wage is but it would have been better spent getting a keeper on loan from one of the premiership teams. 

40 minutes ago, Distant Doonhamer said:

Martin`s  endless unwillingness and inability to deal with crosses even within his own 6 yard box continues to be a fundamental  problem for us. While the defenders need to take some blame too every team knows they can punish us by firing balls in close to the goal.  The odd good save as a shot stopper is a given for a keeper at this level. I`ve no idea what his wage is but it would have been better spent getting a keeper on loan from one of the premiership teams. 

Easier said than done of course, but the plan going forward has to be a loan goalkeeper from the Premiership.  Another Zander Clark would do just nicely.  I'm really struggling to think the last time we had a permanently signed goalkeeper who wasn't a complete disaster.

Easier said than done of course, but the plan going forward has to be a loan goalkeeper from the Premiership.  Another Zander Clark would do just nicely.  I'm really struggling to think the last time we had a permanently signed goalkeeper who wasn't a complete disaster.
Ooft, there's a question. Robinson was fine until he became a nutcase in his final spell.

I always liked Bernard but was a lot younger so have maybe forgot the faults he had.

Our best 'keepers in recent years have unquestionably been loan signings though as you say, so maybe it is the way we should approach it next season.

Not a huge fan of Martin even with his relative improvement over the year but I thought he had a decent game by his standards last night and came out and punched a few away when needed. Hes not one to come for crosses which is a problem. Thought it was a good entertaining 0-0 draw up until the goal. Problem seems to be with tactics we're stuck if Dobbie is marked out the game and with the amount of running the top two were doing, we don't seem to have a pair of legs up front to sub on to change the game. 

Alan Martin has done fine when he has been fit. Just an easy target for fans who probably just see the highlights of games and don’t see him making saves that keeps us in games

A loan from premier league goalkeeper is another risk how do we know if they are going to be ready and commanding?
Some people need a reality check and realise what level we are at. Queens are punching above our weight anyway

Archived