Morton v Queens

Josh Todd, Nicky Low and Connor Murray all missing this as injured.
Official Site Preview

I thought Nicky Low was terrible on Saturday, I don’t think he found a pass all game and at times the Alloa players were able to outpace him at almost walking pace.

We need to get him match sharp pronto, but we’ve probably overplayed him due to circumstances and put his progress back. We need results now but we need to look at the bigger picture as well.

Hopefully we bin the back three as no-one seemed to know what they were doing on Saturday. Pair Maguire and Doyle at CB, move Wilson into midfield and bring Aird in. I thought he was fairly hopeless when he came on against Alloa but he needs a start to show what he can do.

Martin
Mercer Doyle Maguire Marshall
Aird Wilson Jacobs Stirling
Dykes Dobbie

• Replies 158
  • Created
  • Last Reply
7 minutes ago, palmy_cammy said:

I thought Nicky Low was terrible on Saturday, I don’t think he found a pass all game and at times the Alloa players were able to outpace him at almost walking pace.

We need to get him match sharp pronto, but we’ve probably overplayed him due to circumstances and put his progress back. We need results now but we need to look at the bigger picture as well.

Hopefully we bin the back three as no-one seemed to know what they were doing on Saturday. Pair Maguire and Doyle at CB, move Wilson into midfield and bring Aird in. I thought he was fairly hopeless when he came on against Alloa but he needs a start to show what he can do.

Martin
Dykes Dobbie

Think same except that Brownlie might start in place of Maguire. 

Think Brownlie might start in place of Stirling moving Doyle to right mid & Aird left. 

If he has a couple of pints before the game and decides “f**k it I can’t be arsed with this management lark anymore” that might be the team.

The seethe generated by that decision could only be topped if he played Dobbie as a lone striker, Dykes in midfield, and announced pre-match that Alan Martin has signed a new 3 year contract.

Expecting pelters for this, but I can’t see much alternative.

Wilson and Jacobs are certainties to start in CM I think, unless McGrath starts but I can’t see him starting. Having watched them against Falkirk, I can confirm they will play approx. 2 forward passes between them, they are good defensive players that severely lack a creative spark that Low and Todd (when he played CM) brought to the team. The same spark we’ve lacked since 14/15 season. I think we go 4-3-3, with Dykes playing just ahead of Wilson and KJ in the 3. Anyone that says Dobbie playing up tops on his own shouldn’t happen, hasn’t noticed that Dykes never plays along side him, rather just behind in a 4-2-3-1/4-4–1-1 formation. And Dobs has 38 goals playing like that.

I’d go

Martin

Doyle Maguire Brownlie Marshall

Wilson Jacobs
Dykes

Stirling Dobbie Aird

Marshall and Doyle are the only 2 of the back 4 pretty guarantee’d to start, and Brownlie I think comes in due to the defences less than impressive performances recently. Whether Maguire Fordyce or Mercer play is literally anyone’s guess.

How has Brownlie fared in the reserve games? I think Palmy line up works quite well. Only issue is once again we very limited in our options off the bench. I honestly believed we could get our season back on track last Saturday, and now if we lose this and other results aren't favourable then we aren't in for a very good run in. Sounds a bit shit the bed but we getting close to "must win" for me. I do not want to be going to county, Ayr or United needing to win games. Mon the South!!

12 hours ago, palmy_cammy said:

Martin
Dykes Dobbie

Agree about Low's performance but will give him the benefit of the doubt that he's not fully fit. He's well short of being Premiership level at the minute  which is what he's aiming for.  That starting 11 above is what I would hope for,   If we need a bit more height in defence then Doyle and Wilson could switch.   Fordyce looks like he's lost the ability to jump with opponents and Brownlie shouldn't be anywhere near before Mercer,  Doyle,  Maguire ( or even Fordyce probably).  

Your front line is the key difference here. Bob McHugh has done alright this season, scoring 10 but is often isolated up top with out midfield sitting so deep at times, especially against big teams like East Fife, Alloa and Peterhead. Dallas has come in and whilst he looks ok, he is still quite raw and has yet to get off the mark( not really had a chance due to our lack of creativity right enough) and has also played out wide rather than through the middle.

I'd personally go 4231;

McCrorie

Kilday Waddell Buchanan Iredale

McAlister Millar

O'Connell       Tidser               Kiltie

McHugh.

You could potentially start Dallas up top but the main change is Dykes dropping out and Tidser starting in an advanced role. A solid back 4 ( well as solid as it can be with the players available)  and if we play 2 wingers, we don't really need 2 attacking fullbacks so Kilday and Iredale are fine. That midfield 5 should have enough about them to create, if JJ allows them to play!

No doubt McAlister will be right back, Dykes will start and Tids will be on the bench though!

Huge game for both teams. I think we will prob lose but seems like Queens have a few injury concerns  which might help us so might just somehow get a win, guess it depends on the line up and JJs approach. 

5 hours ago, madton said:

Your front line is the key difference here. Bob McHugh has done alright this season, scoring 10 but is often isolated up top with out midfield sitting so deep at times, especially against big teams like East Fife, Alloa and Peterhead. Dallas has come in and whilst he looks ok, he is still quite raw and has yet to get off the mark( not really had a chance due to our lack of creativity right enough) and has also played out wide rather than through the middle.

I'd personally go 4231;

McCrorie

Kilday Waddell Buchanan Iredale

McAlister Millar

O'Connell       Tidser               Kiltie

McHugh.

You could potentially start Dallas up top but the main change is Dykes dropping out and Tidser starting in an advanced role. A solid back 4 ( well as solid as it can be with the players available)  and if we play 2 wingers, we don't really need 2 attacking fullbacks so Kilday and Iredale are fine. That midfield 5 should have enough about them to create, if JJ allows them to play!

No doubt McAlister will be right back, Dykes will start and Tids will be on the bench though!

Huge game for both teams. I think we will prob lose but seems like Queens have a few injury concerns  which might help us so might just somehow get a win, guess it depends on the line up and JJs approach. 

Would go with this apart from the inclusion of McHugh. His modest goal return seems to justify his inclusion week after week, however his contribution to the team as a whole, for me at least, is negligible. His aimless running about and the single handed breaking down of the few counter attacks we had against Ayr was infuriating. 

TTGJ hung Dallas out to dry on the right wing to accommodate him, then dropped him, I assume him for he crime of not playing well in a position that he doesn’t play. Saying that, McHugh seems to be his wee favourite so he’ll start.

17 minutes ago, Colkitto said:

The bus has been parked.

Think maybe 2 buses! Looks like Queens going 3511 tonight. Martin, Mcguire Fordyce Brownlie, Mercer Doyle Jacobs Wilson Marshall, Dykes, Dobbie. Only 3 outfield players on bench Aird, Stirling, Mcgrath.. 

2 minutes ago, QoS_Blue1919 said:

Two strong forward thinking teams, gutted that I’m missing the game. Two managers with real attacking intent.

Predicting a 4-3 goalfest here. Anyone’s game. Maguire Brownlie and Fordyce all to score.

That accounts for 3 Morton goals,  who's getting ours? 

Archived