Title Round Robin 'hood

Three cheers for the boys who organise the EoSFL. The triple conference bedding in season has delivered the goods.

All hail the EoSFL.
It has been a fantastic season, managed superbly from start to finish.

For me, having seen all 3 sides, the best team has come out champions. I thought Bonnyrigg were outstanding and will be real contenders in the Lowland League next year, pending the SFA getting their fingers out their collective arses.

Sounds like a perfect game to finishing the season as well.

SharpAptHogget-size_restricted.gif

Lyq1DLq.gif

Mind last season when I said you'd be hard pressed to beat the drama of the LTHV v Kelty and Kelty v LTHV games :lol:?!

What can you say about today.

In years or decades hence there will be an exciting last day decider, and some youngsters will say "there can never have been a match like this in all of history!": but some old timers will lean over and say "lads, let us tell you about 2019 - it happened like this, you see, first of all"... yet they will not believe them. Men will say such things cannot be real. Only those hundreds of us who were present - who saw the league title oscillate 5 times between 3 clubs in 1 football game and a team fight back from 2-0 down with 10-men to win that league title - will be able to say "I was there: I saw these things come to pass".

Incredible.

Well done to Bonnyrigg. They've been the strongest side throughout the season and deserve to be the champions.  Today was an incredible comeback with 9 and a half men, as Horne was effectively a passenger after getting injured shortly after Bonnyrigg had committed all three substitutes. 

What a great advert for the league and the play-off format.  The quality of the football wasn't always there, but the emotional rollercoaster for all three teams was evident throughout.

At the start it was advantage Bonnyrigg, then, as each goal went in,  it was Penicuik, Broxburn, back to Penicuik then finally back where it started with Bonnyrigg. Even the injury time winner came from a Broxburn free kick as they sent everyone forward in search of a winner, including the keeper, leaving no-one back to defend the empty goal when Bonnyrigg cleared the ball.   

25 minutes ago, HibeeJibee said:

Lyq1DLq.gif

Mind last season when I said you'd be hard pressed to beat the drama of the LTHV v Kelty and Kelty v LTHV games :lol:?!

In years or decades hence there will be an exciting last day decider, and some youngsters will say "there can never have been a match like this in all of history!": but some old timers will lean over and say "lads, let us tell you about 2019 - it happened like this, you see, first of all"... yet they will not believe them. Men will say such things cannot be real. Only those hundreds of us who were present - who saw the league title oscillate 5 times between 3 clubs in 1 football game and a team fight back from 2-0 down with 10-men to win that league title - will be able to say "I was there: I saw these things come to pass".

Incredible.

Spot on Hibee. I'm mentally drained and I don't even support either team!!

Do you think we should keep the conferences and playoffs folks:)

38 minutes ago, HibeeJibee said:

Lyq1DLq.gif

Incredible.

11 minutes ago, patriot1 said:

Spot on Hibee. I'm mentally drained and I don't even support either team!!

Do you think we should keep the conferences and playoffs folks:)

There will be conferences in the First Division next season, of course.

It was interesting when it went 2-1... from then on it made no difference to Broxburn whether they conceded a second or not: they simply needed to score as either 3-1 or 3-2 could win the title. This was a sudden mentality shift, from being in the driving seat at 2-0 and hitting on the break for a third to end it as a contest.

A brilliant game for the neutral, the scenario when it went 2-1 Broxburn and both teams needed a goal made for a brilliant last 20 minutes.

The ref having a nightmare added to the excitement although the incompetence of the linesman added to his issues.

I was at the other end of the pitch and couldn’t see if the Bonnyrigg keeper handled the ball outside the box, the way the players protested made me think they didn’t disagree it was outside the box but rather the red card was harsh.

A brilliant game for the neutral, the scenario when it went 2-1 Broxburn and both teams needed a goal made for a brilliant last 20 minutes.
The ref having a nightmare added to the excitement although the incompetence of the linesman added to his issues.
I was at the other end of the pitch and couldn’t see if the Bonnyrigg keeper handled the ball outside the box, the way the players protested made me think they didn’t disagree it was outside the box but rather the red card was harsh.
The keeper collected the ball inside the box, momentum carried him outside but he immediately let go.

The referee has obviously considered it to be a deliberate denial of a goal scoring opportunity otherwise its only a yellow card offense.

Annoying thing is ref couldn't really see from where he was and didn't speak with the stand side linesman who appeared to have a much better view.

Thought the ref's performance was poor throughout. He set his stall out early doors by booking Dean Brett for what was a hard, but fair, ball winning challenge and after that seemed desperate to send someone off. As for the linesman, they'd have been as well not being there.

That said it was an absolutely tremendous come back when we were dead and buried. Hopefully the licence situation gets sorted and we can play Lowland League football next season.

I was on the canal banking around halfway and immediately thought he'd taken it outside. It's worth saying the refs had radio headsets so could have discussed it without flagging and running over.
Don't disagree, he definitely carried it outside the box but let go pretty sharpish.

Personally I thought a red card was the wrong decision but ultimately it didn't matter.

12 minutes ago, Gimme said:

Don't disagree, he definitely carried it outside the box but let go pretty sharpish.

Personally I thought a red card was the wrong decision but ultimately it didn't matter.

If the initial contact had been outside the box I would have agreed with the red but as he first touched it inside I'd say it was harsh.

For Bonnyrigg to produce that comeback with ten men proves they were the best team in the League but as I said earlier Broxburn should have been able to retain possession with the extra man and see the game out.

44 minutes ago, Gimme said:

The keeper collected the ball inside the box, momentum carried him outside but he immediately let go.

The referee has obviously considered it to be a deliberate denial of a goal scoring opportunity otherwise its only a yellow card offense.

Annoying thing is ref couldn't really see from where he was and didn't speak with the stand side linesman who appeared to have a much better view.

Thought the ref's performance was poor throughout. He set his stall out early doors by booking Dean Brett for what was a hard, but fair, ball winning challenge and after that seemed desperate to send someone off. As for the linesman, they'd have been as well not being there.

That said it was an absolutely tremendous come back when we were dead and buried. Hopefully the licence situation gets sorted and we can play Lowland League football next season.

Completely agree, Brett’s tackle was hard but fair and a good referee would have taken into account its early in a big game and by booking him you set the tone.

Hard to defend them when they have the communication sets as well, it make the referee going over to his linesmen more dramatic and added to the anger from both teams.

I hope the license is granted, Bonnyrigg will be a great addition to the Lowland League as a team and bringing a fan base as well.

1 hour ago, HibeeJibee said:

I was on the canal banking around halfway and immediately thought he'd taken it outside. It's worth saying the refs had radio headsets so could have discussed it without flagging and running over.

I understand it was the canal side linesman that gave the sending off. Whilst they were miked up, they also had the odd Conflab which was strange.

what a game.