Title Round Robin 'hood

Means that all three clubs can still win the title going into Saturday's game.

Bonnyrigg win or draw - Bonnyrigg are champions.

Broxburn win 1-0 or 2-1 - Penicuik are champions.

Broxburn win by any other score - Broxburn are champions.

I thought 2-1 would see Broxburn through. But with Broxburn and Penicuik ending equal, it will probably go to what happened between them in the round robin. Then yes, Penicuik go through. I was thinking about the rule where if they end equal you look at points from the conference.

Edited by lowenan

Just now, FuzzyBear said:
4 minutes ago, lowenan said:
I think 2-1 will see Broxburn through.

Would that not put Broxburn and Penicuik on same points , goal diff and goals scored.

Yes, I thought about it then going to points from the conferences, since they are also equal on points with Bonnyrigg. But thinking about it, I guess it will go to their match in the round robin, that Penicuik won.

1 minute ago, FuzzyBear said:
6 minutes ago, lowenan said:
I think 2-1 will see Broxburn through.

Would that not put Broxburn and Penicuik on same points , goal diff and goals scored.

Just happy Broxburn have something to play for.  Not sure if it goes to goals scored then head to head then points. Bonnyrigg still favourites though.

Means that all three clubs can still win the title going into Saturday's game.
Bonnyrigg win or draw - Bonnyrigg are champions.
Broxburn win 1-0 or 2-1 - Penicuik are champions.
Broxburn win by any other score - Broxburn are champions.

I am certain that the EoSFL are delighted with the way the playoffs are working out. Genuine title hopes for all 3 sides.

I was there as a neutral but freely admit a pang of excitement when it went 2-1 simply at realising all the different scenarios which would result :lol:!

Bonnyrigg     P1     W1 D0 L1     3pts     +1     2F
Penicuik         P2     W1 D0 L1     3pts        0     4F     (1 away goal)
Broxburn       P1     W1 D0 L1     0pts      -1     2F     (2 away goals)

As noted above - avoiding defeat wins the league for Bonnyrigg... Winning by 2 or more goals wins the league for Broxburn on Goal Difference... Winning 3-2, 4-3 or higher wins the league for Broxburn on Goals For ahead of Bonnyrigg & Penicuik (or Bonnyrigg alone from 4-3 up)... Broxburn 1-0 Bonnyrigg wins the league for Penicuik on Goals For ahead of Broxburn... and Broxburn 2-1 Bonnyrigg wins the league for Penicuik on head-to-head over Broxburn (from Saturday's result Penicuik 3-2 Broxburn) as they would be tied on Points, Goal Difference and Goals For and both ahead of Bonnyrigg.

I can't see any scenario requiring away goals. For certain no dead-heat can now occur resulting in count-back to the conferences.

As for the game itself - an interesting match which began slowly and gradually heated to boiling point. Both sides exchanged pressure in a nervy opening half-hour. Lee Currie then leapt like a salmon to open the scoring. Bonnyrigg were on top after the break and shortly after the hour Dean Brett scored with composure in a breakaway. After that the visitors threw the kitchen sink at it... they were outraged when the referee waved away a soft-looking penalty shout ending in a co-manager sent to the terracing, but Aaron Somerville knocked home an effort late on. They could have equalised at the death when the hosts 'keeper pulled off a marvellous point-blank save while falling... closely mirroring one by his opposite number from Currie late in the first half. I felt 2-1 was about right.

Penicuik were unsurprisingly deflated at the end but possibly some didn't realise the door was still open for them: thankfully they hadn't taken the advice of the fan calling on them to go for it "cos we'd be as well go down by 2 or 3 goals as 1"...!

Outstanding crowd present - must have been largest of the EOSL season.

What a night.

Edited by HibeeJibee

10 minutes ago, Ginaro said:

Photo from twitter early in the game - do some headcounting!

D5f_sQDWwAABEDZ.jpg

! OK, didn't really see in the shed when we were there thought it looked lower at the game but certainly busy in there.  Did say it was a decent crowd, wasn't trying to steal your sweeties!