Title Round Robin 'hood

12 minutes ago, Burnie_man said:
16 minutes ago, cookieboy said:
And promoted to the Lowland League which is the whole point 

You don't need a licence to play in the EoS, therefore you dont need a licence to become Champion (and enter the Scottish Cup).

I think we are playing for promotion and we will take entry into Scottish as a bonus the whole idea of the pyramid in my mind 

There is a title round robin to decide the overall league champion because there were 3 conferences. Whoever becomes champion is guaranteed a place in the Scottish Cup, and a place in the promotion playoff (if eligible).

It so happens the SOSL champion is ineligible, and so there will be no promotion playoff and the EOSL champion will go up automatically (if eligible). Perhaps for that reason some conflate the title round robin with a promotion playoff but it is not. It would not have mattered if the conference winners had been HoB, Bo'ness and Linlithgow.

You can't use eligibility as a tie-break anyway. It's not based on match performance and it's not rated - you can't say "club X  rated 78 out of 100, club Y rated 76, club Z rated 74, so club X win".

I suspect the chances of all 3 games finishing 3-2 are incredibly low, anyway.

14 minutes ago, HibeeJibee said:

There is a title round robin to decide the overall league champion because there were 3 conferences. Whoever becomes champion is guaranteed a place in the Scottish Cup, and a place in the promotion playoff (if eligible).

It so happens the SOSL champion is ineligible, and so there will be no promotion playoff and the EOSL champion will go up automatically (if eligible). Perhaps for that reason some conflate the title round robin with a promotion playoff but it is not. It would not have mattered if the conference winners had been HoB, Bo'ness and Linlithgow.

You can't use eligibility as a tie-break anyway. It's not based on match performance and it's not rated - you can't say "club X  rated 78 out of 100, club Y rated 76, club Z rated 74, so club X win".

I suspect the chances of all 3 games finishing 3-2 are incredibly low, anyway.

I have already said it is highly unlikely but you are saying it is fair to go on league performance when they play in different leagues 

2 minutes ago, cookieboy said:

I have already said it is highly unlikely but you are saying it is fair to go on league performance when they play in different leagues 

There are multiple tie breakers before it even gets to that stage. Going with the team that won the most points in their conference seems a better way than drawing lots or a coin toss. It at least suggests they were the strongest team over the season rather than random luck.

1 hour ago, cookieboy said:

Qualification places at international tournament finals and in qualifiers are very often done on the basis of a best runner-up, so yes, I think it's reasonable if needed as a tie-breaker.

I’m going to go along to this game on Wednesday, was at the game on Saturday and Penicuik were the better team Broxburn didn’t play much football to be honest, my prediction for Wednesday 3-1 Bonnyrigg can’t see Penicuik going there and getting anything

I’m going to go along to this game on Wednesday, was at the game on Saturday and Penicuik were the better team Broxburn didn’t play much football to be honest, my prediction for Wednesday 3-1 Bonnyrigg can’t see Penicuik going there and getting anything

Thought if the game had went on another 10 minutes, Broxburn might have snatched a draw at least. Their tactics weren't that great and the goalie sold all 3 goals. However, the last 15 minutes Burn seemed to have the ascendency. Still fancy Bonnyrigg over all, and I'm expecting a large crowd on Wednesday.

Interesting question - when was there last a Midlothian derby of such magnitude as this?

There was never an all-Midlothian final in the Scottish Junior Cup - you have to go back to 1971-72 for an all-Midlothian SF (being Bonnyrigg v Newtrongrange at Hibs). In the East Junior Cup you have to go back to 1979-80 for an all-Midlothian final (being Newtongrange v Pencuik at Arniston).

Never in the Superleague era did Midlothian clubs finish top 2 - in the regional era it only happened in 1980-81 (Penicuik + Arniston) and 1975-76 (Bonnyrigg + Arniston and it featured a "last day decider" which Rose won 2-0). Before that it was district football.

I doubt any Whitehill v Easthouses game would challenge.

So the biggest Midlothian derby in 40-50yrs? Longer?

Edited by HibeeJibee

9 hours ago, yogisbairns said:

Thought if the game had went on another 10 minutes, Broxburn might have snatched a draw at least. Their tactics weren't that great and the goalie sold all 3 goals. However, the last 15 minutes Burn seemed to have the ascendency. Still fancy Bonnyrigg over all, and I'm expecting a large crowd on Wednesday.

Think you are being extremely harsh on the keeper blaming him for the second goal a candidate for goal of the season

Broxburn did put Penicuik under pressure last 10 minutes but the 80 minutes before Penicuik could and should have had more goals

Wee side note Broxburn’s first goal was never a corner 

19 hours ago, HibeeJibee said:

Interesting question - when was there last a Midlothian derby of such magnitude as this?

There was never an all-Midlothian final in the Scottish Junior Cup - you have to go back to 1971-72 for an all-Midlothian SF (being Bonnyrigg v Newtrongrange at Hibs). In the East Junior Cup you have to go back to 1979-80 for an all-Midlothian final (being Newtongrange v Pencuik at Arniston).

Never in the Superleague era did Midlothian clubs finish top 2 - in the regional era it only happened in 1980-81 (Penicuik + Arniston) and 1975-76 (Bonnyrigg + Arniston and it featured a "last day decider" which Rose won 2-0). Before that it was district football.

I doubt any Whitehill v Easthouses game would challenge.

So the biggest Midlothian derby in 40-50yrs? Longer?

There was a big Whitehill v easthouses game the season easthouses won the league 

10 hours ago, leftbehind said:

Interesting.   What does Advanced Stage mean?         Currently trying to raise the necessary Capital  for the installation through fund raising activities like Race Night   Mystic Night   and Treasurer taking part in Edinburgh 10k run.    but no cost target suggested to the Community of suporters.or  to engender funds outwith the narrow footballing community .  A Planning Application has been submitted but not yet Approved according to the Local Authority web site.   Is that an Advanced Stage scenario in your book or do you have priviledged information the punters don't know  who are being asked to support the fund raisingefforts.     Just curious.

My bad. Simply meant a lot of hard work was going on behind the scenes such as the fundraisers and that an application had also been submitted. Basic point being that floodlights weren’t exactly just a pipe dream, which is good as the more licensed clubs the better.