Club wesbite builders

Burnie_man

Ok, need recommendations for a website builder for a club website.  I have zero experience in creating websites from scratch (so won’t be even attempting it) although I have used online website builders in the past eg. Homestead, but that was a while back and is not really a very good platform.

Looking to set-up something that is fairly simple and easy to use with decent men options eg. Civil Service Strollers, Haddington Athletic and Bathgate Thistle are good examples that I have seen of what I’m after. 

Wix was recommended but is it suited to football clubs? Advice appreciated.

26 minutes ago, Ginaro said:

All three are using Wordpress - themes are: Haddington - Divi; Bathgate & CSS - footballclub, CSS also with the sportspress plugin

OK thanks, when you say "themes" is this the actual template they use and is this a stand alone thing you need to subscribe to?

EDIT: OK that's not really what I'm after as that needs knowledge of web hosting and such like. I wouldn't even know where to start with that. 

Edited by Burnie_man

Wix is pretty easy to use which you don't really need to know about building websites. They have so much templates that you can copy and edit plus editing on website is very easy.  I built one up for my supporters club about 4 years ago. 

Edited by betting competition

5 hours ago, Burnie_man said:

OK thanks, when you say "themes" is this the actual template they use and is this a stand alone thing you need to subscribe to?

Themes are the template/design for Wordpress - you can get free ones, pay for ones I linked to in my post, or pay for someone to make one. Of course you need a Wordpress website first of all - either for free/small fee at https://wordpress.com/ (don't know how it works with custom themes) or install it yourself on web hosting you pay for.

You'll also need a domain name linked to the site - pyramidnews.co.uk is available :thumsup2

Budget? Lol, probably £100
Have a look at Newburghfc.co.uk I built this using wordpress - Sportspress - footballclub theme from theme boy
I had no experience of setting up web hosting etc and found it fairly simple as long as you follow the steps that are suggested.

Themeboy who provide the theme/skin are very helpful and responsive to requests for help.

I did ours within your budget

On 22/02/2019 at 14:59, Burnie_man said:

Ok, need recommendations for a website builder for a club website.  I have zero experience in creating websites from scratch (so won’t be even attempting it) although I have used online website builders in the past eg. Homestead, but that was a while back and is not really a very good platform.

Looking to set-up something that is fairly simple and easy to use with decent men options eg. Civil Service Strollers, Haddington Athletic and Bathgate Thistle are good examples that I have seen of what I’m after. 

Wix was recommended but is it suited to football clubs? Advice appreciated.

I've used Wix in the past and it's by far one of the easier ones to use, however, hosting like a lot of other sites can be costly.

Really depends on if you want to build or maintain if it's going to be official, so to speak.

One of my mates is a web designer and does lifetime hosting. 

https://ruairimurphy.co.uk/

1 hour ago, Griffin said:

Have a look at Newburghfc.co.uk I built this using wordpress - Sportspress - footballclub theme from theme boy
I had no experience of setting up web hosting etc and found it fairly simple as long as you follow the steps that are suggested.

Themeboy who provide the theme/skin are very helpful and responsive to requests for help.

I did ours within your budget

Good to hear as that is what I'm aiming for, hopefully :wacko:

• 5 months later...

Hi all,

Currently helping out a LL team in building a new website (I'm a complete amateur though). Reading this thread with interest - does anybody know the simplest way to pull through the updated league table onto the team's website? Carbon copy of the LL website would be ideal.

Thanks in advance for any help...

On 10/08/2019 at 00:56, rocknroll said:

Hi all,

Currently helping out a LL team in building a new website (I'm a complete amateur though). Reading this thread with interest - does anybody know the simplest way to pull through the updated league table onto the team's website? Carbon copy of the LL website would be ideal.

Maybe a simple link to the LL website coming up as a separate pop up window so that viewers dont leave your website.

Just now, honestman54 said:

Maybe a simple link to the LL website coming up as a separate pop up window so that viewers dont leave your website.

Something like Current League Table

Just now, honestman54 said:

On 10/08/2019 at 00:56, rocknroll said:

Hi all,

Vale of Leithen does not transfer through from the LL site.

The table is updated manually after every LL game that is played.

The site has different categories which can be built, one being a league which is created at the start of the season in preparation of the  league game commencing.

Hope that helps

Can’t claim to be an expert but I think what you’re after is called ‘scraping’. You put some code on your own page which automatically links to a site such as the BBC or the LL homepage and embeds the league table from there onto your page. So it’s always up to date.