Alesha MacPhail case

ICTChris

16 hours ago, GordonS said:

The one strong argument for me is that it was never going to be possible to keep his identity secret. Everyone on Bute knew who it was, and it was always going to be easy to find on social media. Rather than decades of fighting a losing battle, they might as well get it out now. It's not like he's going to be getting released any time soon.

There wouldn't have been a decades long battle to name him. He was only entitled to anonymity because he was under 18. As soon as he turned 18 he could be named legally unless there was a court order to prevent this. This was one of the reasons he was allowed to be named as they were only delaying it for about 18 months anyway 

21 hours ago, 19QOS19 said:
21 hours ago, dumfriesblue said:
i was at laurieknowe primary year 1-7 . lovely school no problem with jessiefield next door . in fact i am now 52  and i can only remember 1 prison escapee  from jessie that was a work release who was found in my parents back garden in alexandra drive .

Laurieknowe4life bro!

also max high 4 life . sanside apaches

On 22/02/2019 at 15:33, Honest_Man#1 said:

Work just along from that pub. Googled it there, horrific.

Just read the story naming him. Says he tortured and skinned cats previously. As soon as someone is intentionally harming animals, they need to be thrown into the sea. Absolute certainty they end up progressing into people.

I've read up a fair bit on psychopaths and I'm not sure the sea is the best place or fairest place for them.  A lot of these people end up psychopaths due to abuse they received as a child, I'm not sure ALL of them deserve to be left at the bottom of the sea. Not suggesting the guy in this case was a victim himself but it's not always a case of someone just being a complete mentalist with a thirst for blood, there can be deep rooted mental health issues that have been ignored that lead to situations like this. Perhaps if he'd been sent into care when he was caught skinning cats this might not have happened.

1 minute ago, The Moonster said:

I've read up a fair bit on psychopaths and I'm not sure the sea is the best place or fairest place for them.  A lot of these people end up psychopaths due to abuse they received as a child, I'm not sure ALL of them deserve to be left at the bottom of the sea. Not suggesting the guy in this case was a victim himself but it's not always a case of someone just being a complete mentalist with a thirst for blood, there can be deep rooted mental health issues that have been ignored that lead to situations like this. Perhaps if he'd been sent into care when he was caught skinning cats this might not have happened.

As long as animal torturers aren’t free to roam about and continue on like that then fair enough. Personally I’d still go with the sea, but out of the way of animals/humans they can harm and kill is the main thing.

3 minutes ago, Honest_Man#1 said:

As long as animal torturers aren’t free to roam about and continue on like that then fair enough. Personally I’d still go with the sea, but out of the way of animals/humans they can harm and kill is the main thing.

I'd recommend The Psychopath Test by Jon Ronson, good read and opened my eyes a bit (by "opened my eyes a bit" I actually mean "scared me shitless").

8 minutes ago, Honest_Man#1 said:

If they were in the sea they could torture fish. 

Fire them into the sun.

11 minutes ago, Dee Man said:

Did you pass?

It's a grey area, IMO. I could probably attribute most points on the Bob Hare Checklist to something I've done at some point in my life, so if I was brutally honest I'd probably score quite high.  Suppose it depends how often you show these attributes before they decide how much of a mentalist you are. Check yo'self:

1. Glib and superficial charm
2. Grandiose (exaggeratedly high) estimation of self
3. Need for stimulation
4. Pathological lying
5. Cunning and manipulativeness
6. Lack of remorse or guilt
7. Shallow affect (superficial emotional responsiveness)
8. Callousness and lack of empathy
9. Parasitic lifestyle
10. Poor behavioural controls
11. Sexual promiscuity
12. Early behaviour problems
13. Lack of realistic long-term goals
14. Impulsivity
15. Irresponsibility
16. Failure to accept responsibility for own actions
17. Many short-term marital relationships
18. Juvenile delinquency
19. Revocation of conditional release
20. Criminal versatility

The majority of psychopaths can lead what seem like "normal" lives, and a lot of them can get to the top in business because many of the above traits lend themselves to capitalism quite well. I think that's what scares me the most.

EDIT - you'll find the scoring for the test online, essentially you give yourself a 0, 1 or 2 based on how well it applies to you - anyone with over 30 is generally considered a psychopath. Non-criminals will generally score around 5 whilst non-psycho criminals score around 22 on average.

Edited by The Moonster

4 minutes ago, The Moonster said:

It's a grey area, IMO. I could probably attribute most points on the Bob Hare Checklist to something I've done at some point in my life, so if I was brutally honest I'd probably score quite high.  Suppose it depends how often you show these attributes before they decide how much of a mentalist you are. Check yo'self:

When I read the book then took the test, I was a little worried that I would be classed as a psychopath. The only thing that ruled that out is the fact that I was actually worried that I might be a psychopath. Definitely an eye opener.

1 minute ago, Ross. said:

When I read the book then took the test, I was a little worried that I would be classed as a psychopath. The only thing that ruled that out is the fact that I was actually worried that I might be a psychopath. Definitely an eye opener.

I only really felt relief when they mentioned the test of showing gruesome pictures to people - "normal" people will get sweaty palms or be disgusted when faced with something like a body blown to bits by a mortar whereas a psychopath doesn't get that "disgusted" reaction when they see that, they get curious. 

3 minutes ago, The Moonster said:

I only really felt relief when they mentioned the test of showing gruesome pictures to people - "normal" people will get sweaty palms or be disgusted when faced with something like a body blown to bits by a mortar whereas a psychopath doesn't get that "disgusted" reaction when they see that, they get curious. 

Shit. 

36 minutes ago, The Moonster said:

The majority of psychopaths can lead what seem like "normal" lives, and a lot of them can get to the top in business because many of the above traits lend themselves to capitalism quite well. I think that's what scares me the most.

The Dunfermline League Against Work will be all over this.

You can't rehabilitate paedophiles.

He should never be released.
100% this!!!!

Any person or persons who commit crimes of this horrible horrible nature should not be protected by not naming them regardless to age at the time of the crime. This lad is sick and will never be rehabilitated like the above said. Under no circumstances should he be released, People like this should be given the lethal injection.

I scored over 30 slightly worrying. I have been called a sociopath before but I think I'm just antisocial. One thing that did resonate  with me is the inability to give a shit about other people. I tend to keep a small social circle and at work will happily ignore the majority of people. Probably come accross as ignorant and aloof but if I know I'm not going to have a worthwhile or meaningful interaction with someone then they might aswell be invisible to me. Small talk is a bug bear of mine and being a smoker at work its hard to avoid. I wouldnt class myself as pyschopathic as I wouldnt harm a person that didnt fully deserve it, and I have bo interest in gory videos and people suffering but I do have and have always had trouble putting myelf in someone elses shoes which leads to a severe lack of empathy

on the topic of this animal. As mentioned previous he will be in a single room in a protected wing as each prison he stays in wont want to be the "one" where he gets whats coming to him. He should be in solitary until he dies with a bed and piss pot and on 23 hour lockdown. Of course this is Scotland though so he will be in a comfy cell with telly, console and home comforts. Bravo to his mum for shopping him hopefully that act alone will mean her name wont be muck on the island. Aleshias dad looks one for the watching, he seems to have a thibg for young looking women. Looking at pictures of Aleshia and her mum literally look like sisters. She looks about 14, plus he is certainly a junkie as the face never lies

42 minutes ago, engelbert_humperdink said:

I scored over 30 slightly worrying. I have been called a sociopath before but I think I'm just antisocial. One thing that did resonate  with me is the inability to give a shit about other people. I tend to keep a small social circle and at work will happily ignore the majority of people. Probably come accross as ignorant and aloof but if I know I'm not going to have a worthwhile or meaningful interaction with someone then they might aswell be invisible to me. Small talk is a bug bear of mine and being a smoker at work its hard to avoid. I wouldnt class myself as pyschopathic as I wouldnt harm a person that didnt fully deserve it, and I have bo interest in gory videos and people suffering but I do have and have always had trouble putting myelf in someone elses shoes which leads to a severe lack of empathy

34 minutes ago, engelbert_humperdink said:

on the topic of this animal. As mentioned previous he will be in a single room in a protected wing as each prison he stays in wont want to be the "one" where he gets whats coming to him. He should be in solitary until he dies with a bed and piss pot and on 23 hour lockdown. Of course this is Scotland though so he will be in a comfy cell with telly, console and home comforts. Bravo to his mum for shopping him hopefully that act alone will mean her name wont be muck on the island. Aleshias dad looks one for the watching, he seems to have a thibg for young looking women. Looking at pictures of Aleshia and her mum literally look like sisters. She looks about 14, plus he is certainly a junkie as the face never lies

We'll file you under "provisional". It means we won't have move your file far when you, inevitably, kill. Let's hope you're caught early.

I just came of a fairly unpleasant case at the High Court. Nothing remotely in this league obviously - it was rape and intimidation and general evilness over 20 odd years. 
I'd only ever done jury duty at the sheriff court before, and I naively did not expect the defense lawyer to be such a monumental c*nt.
I appreciate that they have to do the "job" to the extent of their abilities, but he was at least as creepy as the perpetrator (they were guilty as could be), and tried everything to undermine all opposing evidence.
As we left, after a few weeks of grimness, one of the other jurors mentioned that they'd looked him up. The accused was rich, and his (thankfully unsuccessful) defence council earned around 9 times the salary of the public prosecutor. It was good that the evidence told against the accused, because frankly otherwise the case would have gone down. The defence lawyer ran rings round what the Crown prosecutor could do. It was a mismatched fight, and that is worrying.

Pretty sure what your colleague on the jury did is illegal.

The person was able to google the salary of what was presumably a private client solicitor and partner in the practice?
Presuming the Campbell's legal team were obtained through legal aid I would be surprised if any of them are clearing 40K a year and certainly wouldn't be earning much for this case.
Not pocket change but not exactly raking it in either.

Ive never met a poor advocate. I also know a few lawyers and 45-50k for a solicitor is not bad until you’re a partner.