Alesha MacPhail case

ICTChris

3 minutes ago, Bairnardo said:

I like that in general terms, the P&B consensus is much more intelligently and thoughtfully reached than the comments section int he Daily Mail for example. But I do think sometimes as we look past the tabloid rhetoric for more realistic and sensible ideas, the horror of a crime ends up being downplayed and the emotional reaction of people to it becomes belittled somewhat. 

Example, the ISIS bride. I fully support her coming back to the UK, since she is clearly our problem, but participation or even support in what ISIS stand for sickens me to the pit of my stomach. A pure c**t of a human.

I am fucking seething about what this laddie did, and cliche though it may be to say it, more seething still because I have two daughters. I hope he gets badly hurt in prison and lives a life of pain and misery until a well deserved death, but equally, I know that he will never feel even 1% of the pain he has inflicted. I don't care for his rehabilitation. I don't want the death penalty introduced either but that doesn't mean I think this person deserves a second chance. It just means I don't think the state can be trusted, or that there is enough evidence to support the death penalty in a constructive justice system. But still, we are human. This crime defies humanity and every instinct 99.999% of us have.

I'd say there is a huge difference between Shabana Begum and Aaron Campbell. Shabana was persuaded that going to a war as a 15 year old was heroic and she'd get a boyfriend. Aaron thought it would be fun to torture, rape and kill a 6 year old. 

I'd say there is a huge difference between Shabana Begum and Aaron Campbell. Shabana was persuaded that going to a war as a 15 year old was heroic and she'd get a boyfriend. Aaron thought it would be fun to torture, rape and kill a 6 year old. 
I wasnt comparing the crimes so much as the way the perpetrators and any potential punishment is viewed.

1 hour ago, sophia said:

I rather think that my good friend John, dearest Johnny, has succeeded in succinctly riffing on Frankie Boyle, commenting on our media and prompting the knee jerkers.

Johnboy, please say it's so.

I admit to being mildly surprised.  If I did miss out on the irony I apologise to Johnny.

This crime services every atavistic urge in all of us and in a way, it should.  There's nothing wrong with that.  What happened here is so dreadful, so unthinkably awful, that as individuals and as a society, the rejection of it needs to be absolute and forceful.

I genuinely don't know where I stand on releasing the guy's name.  Despite agreeing with the principles that protect people in such circumstances, I can't lose sleep over this one, although there's some hypocrisy there I suppose.

It's just so upsetting.  I don't think this wee girl was terribly well served by her Dad's antics, but let's not pretend this was the issue here.  The nature of the crime and the fact that a ludicrous defence was offered, mean that considering the criminal's rights or interests is testing.

A woman was on the news today saying that we need to work on rehabilitating this boy.  I'd generally agree, but it really feels like a futile, irrelevant and almost tasteless desire in this awful context.

I'm ranting incoherently here - like most people, I haven't the words.

I saw tonight on the news that the boy was being treated for depression and ADHD. How very modern! Does society these days not just accept that some people, however young they may be, and just twisted and evil, like they used to? I'm sure Ian Brady was a lovely bloke when he wasn't killing children for example. 

The other thing I am a bit conflicted with is the role of the defence lawyers. Sure, he is being paid handsomely to defend this evil boy, but to try and bring innocent people into the case and highlight their wrong doings, whilst trying to keep their client's anonymity in place, I find totally morally corrupt.

There was also a key left in the door and he's managed to walk in, grab the girl and leave. He's never been in the house before. The step mum then apparently casts doubt on him the next morning during the search?

It is a bit of a mystery that he had the confidence to randomly go into a house  he apparently never had been in before to take a 6 year old child without a single hitch - all this drunk. Hmm.

Is this based on evidence from the trial or speculation?

15 minutes ago, Musketeer Gripweed said:

I saw tonight on the news that the boy was being treated for depression and ADHD. How very modern! Does society these days not just accept that some people, however young they may be, and just twisted and evil, like they used to? I'm sure Ian Brady was a lovely bloke when he wasn't killing children for example. 

The other thing I am a bit conflicted with is the role of the defence lawyers. Sure, he is being paid handsomely to defend this evil boy, but to try and bring innocent people into the case and highlight their wrong doings, whilst trying to keep their client's anonymity in place, I find totally morally corrupt.

It's important that thick people or people who can't afford a lawyer should have a chance to get their case stated as best as possible before the Court. And that everyone, even if they're on the front page of the Sun should have access to that.

f**k knows how Polmont are going to cope with this. Do they have beast sections or will be he on solitary till he makes it to adult prisons?
I wonder if he'll be transferred down here at some stage. I'm sure Jessifield has the largest proportion of kiddy fiddlers in the country so they'll be equiped to deal with him.

My personal opinion is that there's no need to release his or anyone's name to the press unless there's a real need to.
He has been caught and will hopefully never leave prison. The family and probably everyone on that island knows who did it.
By bringing it out in public the family will be reminded of it a few times a year now.
I don't see the reason other than selling papers.

1 minute ago, 19QOS19 said:
26 minutes ago, welshbairn said:
f**k knows how Polmont are going to cope with this. Do they have beast sections or will be he on solitary till he makes it to adult prisons?

I wonder if he'll be transferred down here at some stage. I'm sure Jessifield has the largest proportion of kiddy fiddlers in the country so they'll be equiped to deal with him.

Polish your pitchforks for 5 years time.

My personal opinion is that there's no need to release his or anyone's name to the press unless there's a real need to.
He has been caught and will hopefully never leave prison. The family and probably everyone on that island knows who did it.
By bringing it out in public the family will be reminded of it a few times a year now.
The need might be in preventing rumour and gossip form laying the blame at someone else door.

The need might be in preventing rumour and gossip form laying the blame at someone else door.
Possibly but surely everyone would know in a small place like that.
I've zero sympathy for the guy hope he gets severely fucked up in prison but the family will get it on the tv for months then repeated every so often.
I don't suppose you can't stop thinking about what happened thought tbf.

3 minutes ago, Bairnardo said:
5 minutes ago, D.A.F.C said:

Like Syrian refugees getting blamed for it, or her Dad's girlfriend.

Edited by welshbairn

7 minutes ago, 19QOS19 said:
32 minutes ago, welshbairn said:

I've heard that, and I have no reason to disbelieve the source, that paedophiles converse with other in prison and compare their cases. That aint gonna help to be honest.