Alesha MacPhail case

ICTChris

One of the things that bubbled on social media around the time of the crime was that the murder had been carried out by a Syrian refugee - obviously this is now known as false.

That emanated from Katie Hopkins, which is another one to chuck on the pile of reasons why she should be shot in the face with a bullet made of her own shite.

I think it's his age that is the only mitigating factor preventing him getting a whole life tariff.  To carry out a sexual murder of a child, abducting her from her home, pre-meditated, to plead not guilty, to incriminate other people specifically?  I suppose the pre-sentencing reports could reveal issues with his home life or mental state.

21 minutes ago, Ross. said:

Reading elsewhere that members of both families have been touting themselves to the press, trying to make a bit of money from the story. Supposedly a few shockers to be reported when it happens. Can help but feel it is horrendous taste for anyone to profit from this, so I sincerely hope anything that is paid out is swiftly donated to appropriate charities.

As for the case itself, words fail you. Our ability to inflict such horrors on other humans defies belief. Hopefully he is sentenced to whatever the Scottish version of a full life sentence is, if we have one. I'm not an advocate for the death sentence but stories like this one certainly test that viewpoint.

Isn't it 25 years which at the end of a parole board would decide if you are to remain in prison or not?

4 minutes ago, Merkland Red said:

Isn't it 25 years which at the end of a parole board would decide if you are to remain in prison or not?

Longest minimum term In Scotland has been 37 years. Not sure what the sentencing rules are for 16 year olds but I think in very serious cases they can be treated like adults.

30 minutes ago, carpetmonster said:

That emanated from Katie Hopkins, which is another one to chuck on the pile of reasons why she should be shot in the face with a bullet made of her own shite.

Waste of a good shite, imho.

25 minutes ago, ICTChris said:

I think it's his age that is the only mitigating factor preventing him getting a whole life tariff.  To carry out a sexual murder of a child, abducting her from her home, pre-meditated, to plead not guilty, to incriminate other people specifically?  I suppose the pre-sentencing reports could reveal issues with his home life or mental state.

No such thing as a whole life tariff in Scotland.

6 minutes ago, welshbairn said:

Longest minimum term In Scotland has been 37 years. Not sure what the sentencing rules are for 16 year olds but I think in very serious cases they can be treated like adults.

5 minutes ago, carpetmonster said:

Not necessarily; Angus Sinclair (Worlds End murders) got 37.

Cheers lads.

Think they can give a minimum sentence to be served in prison before they can be eligible for parole can they not, or they can spend time in a Juvenile detention i.e. Polmont before being moved to an adult prison.

think no matter where he goes he will be targeted for his crime and rightly so 

I canny get over him just pointing out the Da's girlfriend. Was that just a panic & point at the first person sorta thing?

Really weird back story to a truly horrific case.

I am usually quite laid back and kinda lefty I suppose but I'd happily see people like him kicked to death by horses.

What a wee p***k.

11 minutes ago, Busta Nut said:

I canny get over him just pointing out the Da's girlfriend. Was that just a panic & point at the first person sorta thing?

I am usually quite laid back and kinda lefty I suppose but I'd happily see people like him kicked to death by horses.

What a wee p***k.

Left alone to fend for himself against the family.

11 minutes ago, Busta Nut said:

What a wee p***k.

I don't think it was panic. It was always a long shot, but the "best" story anyone could have come up with in the circumstances.

45 minutes ago, ICTChris said:

I didn't realise that Scottish courts didn't give whole life tariffs.  I thought Peter Tobin was serving one but he isn't - obviously he won't be released because he is older.

We give a minimum sentence, after which there is periodic review. Even if they're released they remain on licence for the rest of their lives and can be recalled to prison without trial. I think removing the possibility of someone ever getting out removes any incentive for them not to be a wallshit smearing, violent, dangerous lunatic. Even the worst are capable of redemption over the course of a couple of decades.

1 hour ago, Ross. said:

As for the case itself, words fail you. Our ability to inflict such horrors on other humans defies belief. Hopefully he is sentenced to whatever the Scottish version of a full life sentence is, if we have one. I'm not an advocate for the death sentence but stories like this one certainly test that viewpoint.

FWIW, we abolished the death penalty for crimes committed by under 18s in 1933. If we reintroduced it we'd be on a short list with some of the worst countries in the world.

1 hour ago, ICTChris said:

One of the things that bubbled on social media around the time of the crime was that the murder had been carried out by a Syrian refugee - obviously this is now known as false.

Yet even until last night I was still seeing utter morons on Twitter pushing this idiocy. Obviously they couldn't care less now that they know the killer is white.

2 hours ago, FuzzyBear said:

Dont really care if they release his name or not but I reckon the sentence will be a lot shorter than some are saying - about 10 years.

:lol: When did you get your law degree, Beltrami?

1 hour ago, carpetmonster said:

Not necessarily; Angus Sinclair (Worlds End murders) got 37.

Work just along from that pub. Googled it there, horrific.

Just read the story naming him. Says he tortured and skinned cats previously. As soon as someone is intentionally harming animals, they need to be thrown into the sea. Absolute certainty they end up progressing into people.

Two things not noted in the coverage of this.

Firstly, the jurors have had to see and hear things nobody ever should. I hope they come to terms with it and they are valued for performing an essential and awful public service.

Secondly, the guy's defence QC... Imagine the scene as he's first talking to his client about his version of events;

"Hang on, you want me to say the victim's dad's girlfriend did what now???"

Every defendant must have a representative who will put forward their version of the events, and advocates don't get to pick their clients. It's the only possible way it can work. I'm willing to bet Brian McConnachie QC will have been taking the longest showers of his life every day he finished work. The guy took one for the team.

11 minutes ago, GordonS said:

FWIW, we abolished the death penalty for crimes committed by under 18s in 1933. If we reintroduced it we'd be on a short list with some of the worst countries in the world.

I agree, it would, but with something like this it is hard not to take the emotive reaction. The death sentence doesn't work as a deterrent, and it is definitely not something that any kind of modern society should have as a punishment, but f**k me, it's hard not to think that sometimes it would be just.

Just now, Ross. said:

I agree, it would, but with something like this it is hard not to take the emotive reaction. The death sentence doesn't work as a deterrent, and it is definitely not something that any kind of modern society should have as a punishment, but f**k me, it's hard not to think that sometimes it would be just.

Don't get me wrong, like most people I want to personally remove his frontal lobe with a claw hammer, but emotion like that after extreme and incredibly rare crimes like this makes for very bad law.