Alesha MacPhail case

ICTChris

Naming him names the family, and would see some neanderthal attack them. This would be despite from reading some of the articles the evidence provided by his mother was fairly important in convicting him. Don't see any benefit in naming at this time.

I'm not desperate to have the murderer named but I think open justice is an important principle - I don't like anonymous courts, I think it's important that justice is as open and transparent as possible.  I also think that saying he should be anonymous to protect his family etc is patronising and self-fulfilling.   Logically, no sex offenders should be named for this reason.  Not naming people convicted of crimes also encourages harmful speculation, which is something we've seen in this case already.

I can see the justification for different naming conventions for young people who are accused of crimes but a distinction has to be drawn between the accused and the guilty.

2 hours ago, Dee Man said:

I'm not interested in his name in the slightest but like I said earlier, I'm all for naming him as it will help his fellow inmates know what he is in for. 

On the flip side, what would be the purpose in not releasing his name? Protecting him?

I'm uncomfortable with my justice being served by some scum  who is slightly less repulsive than the culprit trying to make a name for himself.

14 hours ago, Dindeleux said:

What do you mean by that?

As for the issue of naming him, I’m pretty sure that now he is locked up he should be named....although I reckon this guy will be back amongst us by the age of 40 due to the stupid system we have.

For some reason people have decided to start sharing pictures around Facebook which I think it stupid. Anyone sensible knows the guy is now in prison but if that’s an incorrect photo popped around no doubt someone thick will give whoever that is a sore face for no reason.

It's a bizarre and sick story. She was dealing drugs to him and they were allegedly shagging behind Aleshas dads back.

There was also a key left in the door and he's managed to walk in, grab the girl and leave. He's never been in the house before. The step mum then apparently casts doubt on him the next morning during the search?

Agreed on the photos.

11 minutes ago, thisal said:

I'm uncomfortable with my justice being served by some scum  who is slightly less repulsive than the culprit trying to make a name for himself.

I'm not. I'd far rather you were slightly discomforted by who was dishing out some prison justice than him serving his sentence without living in fear of attacks by whoever. 

He's not going to be attacked by a fellow nonce so can you give me an example of what sort of prisoner you would say is only "slightly less repulsive" than a paedophile who murdered a 6 year old?

Eta: Were you uncomfortable when Kriss Donald's killer was attacked in the prison gym?

Edited by Dee Man

10 hours ago, The_Kincardine said:

It doesn't.  Fat 6 yo munters getting raped and murdered is just as upsetting.  They are weans however they look and deserve our protection.

Would I name and shame the 16 yo?  I can't make up my mind on this.  He's old enough to be criminally responsible, for sure. 

What I would do is castigate both sets of parents.  If you sell drugs to a 16 yo then you are utter scum.  If you have a 16 yo who rapes and murders a wee lassie then you are also scum.

There's a massive breakdown in parenting in the UK and the buck has to stop with those of us who breed.

Can't agree with that Kincy. 

6 minutes ago, Dee Man said:

I'm not. I'd far rather you were slightly discomforted by who was dishing out some prison justice than him serving his sentence without living in fear of attacks by whoever. 

He's not going to be attacked by a fellow nonce so can you give me an example of what sort of prisoner you would say is only "slightly less repulsive" than a paedophile who murdered a 6 year old?

Ok slightly is the wrong word. But among the people who attacked Peter Sutcliffe were a guy who killed his mother and another who killed a shop assistant. Ok not in the same League but still well down my list of upstanding citizens.

Are attacks on the innocent relatives of paedophiles/murderers commonplace?
I can't say I can ever recall hearing about it happening.

Wasn’t there a legendary case of News of the World readers vandalising a paediatricians or have I confused reality with a Chris Morris bit?

4 minutes ago, FuzzyBear said:

We will see. 

Given the presiding Judge's comments being some of the "wickedest, most evil crimes this court has ever heard", I would be incredibly surprised if he will be sentenced to anything less than 20 years.  

Reading elsewhere that members of both families have been touting themselves to the press, trying to make a bit of money from the story. Supposedly a few shockers to be reported when it happens. Can help but feel it is horrendous taste for anyone to profit from this, so I sincerely hope anything that is paid out is swiftly donated to appropriate charities.

As for the case itself, words fail you. Our ability to inflict such horrors on other humans defies belief. Hopefully he is sentenced to whatever the Scottish version of a full life sentence is, if we have one. I'm not an advocate for the death sentence but stories like this one certainly test that viewpoint.