Alesha MacPhail case

ICTChris

A 16 year old boy has been found guilty of the murder of six year old Alesha MacPhail on the Isle of Bute in July last year.

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-scotland-47322658

An absolutely horrific case, I can't think of a worse crime in recent memory.  Just awful.

The boy cannot be named because of his age - an application has been made for the press to be allowed to publish his identity, it will be considered this week.  Sentencing on March 21st.

Do P&Bers think his name should be released?  I think it should, given the seriousness of the charge.  

Closest parallel I can think of is James Bulger. Is it a difference in English and Scots law that meant we could find out Venables and Thompsons names?

Venables and Thompson weren’t named at the time, a similar procedure was followed in that case.

I think it’s different in that the murderer in this case is 16 which is markedly different to the Bulger case.

Absolutely amazing that he was claiming he'd been framed by the mother, asserting that she had sex with him, kept the condom and then planted his DNA on the wean.  

I think that was the girlfriend of the victims father rather than the victims mother. An unbelievable claim though, as you say.

As he's still 16 he probably should be left unnamed until such a time comes when he will be released. Don't know what good it would do to name him now while he's locked up.

Once he's released, if ever, then sure.

Its heartbreaking when a child dies regardless, when it happens in the circumstances reported its utterly tragic and you would hope that nothing of this nature happens ever again. I don't know if the teenagers name should be released, if he won't be coming out then I don't see why it wouldn't be released, if he will be and is properly rehabilitated then he should be given the chance to rejoin society and become a functioning part albeit with checks in place to ensure he isn't a danger to society and that society isn't a danger to him. I guess things will move on when the sentencing is done

The mind boggles at what one human can do to another, especially 2 children. Very sad indeed.

29 minutes ago, Growl3th said:

As he's still 16 he probably should be left unnamed until such a time comes when he will be released. Don't know what good it would do to name him now while he's locked up.

Once he's released, if ever, then sure.

It would help other inmates identify him which would be a good thing IMO. 

As parent of a 16 year old boy, and knowing plenty of his mates and peers of the same age,  I find it inconceivable that someone of that age who isn’t severely mentally challenged , doesn’t know the difference between basic rights and wrongs. As such they don’t , in my view , deserve the protection of anonymity , for any crime let alone anything as horrific and depraved as this case.

Step mother.
Certainly a bizarre case. Not sure how innocent she is to be fair.

What do you mean by that?

As for the issue of naming him, I’m pretty sure that now he is locked up he should be named....although I reckon this guy will be back amongst us by the age of 40 due to the stupid system we have.

For some reason people have decided to start sharing pictures around Facebook which I think it stupid. Anyone sensible knows the guy is now in prison but if that’s an incorrect photo popped around no doubt someone thick will give whoever that is a sore face for no reason.

15 minutes ago, Adam101 said:

Its heartbreaking when a child dies regardless, when it happens in the circumstances reported its utterly tragic and you would hope that nothing of this nature happens ever again. I don't know if the teenagers name should be released, if he won't be coming out then I don't see why it wouldn't be released, if he will be and is properly rehabilitated then he should be given the chance to rejoin society and become a functioning part albeit with checks in place to ensure he isn't a danger to society and that society isn't a danger to him. I guess things will move on when the sentencing is done

The mind boggles at what one human can do to another, especially 2 children. Very sad indeed.

Unusually this a liberal perspective too far for me. f**k him, lock him up for life and throw away the key. 

3 minutes ago, welshbairn said:

Unusually this a liberal perspective too far for me. f**k him, lock him up for life and throw away the key. 

Without knowing any of the details that would be my gut reaction(life without parole), as he clearly tried to cover his tracks. But thankfully it's not my job to sentence people like that.

22 minutes ago, welshbairn said:

Doubt very much they will lock him up for life and throw away the key, 15-20 years he will be out under a new identity. 

48 minutes ago, ayrshire_nomad said:

It's not hard to find out his name if you look but he'll get a new identity

Didn't even have to look unfortunately, his name and photo popped up on my FB feed earlier on.

I'm not by any means an advocate of the death penalty but when you hear about something as beyond the pale as this it does give you pause for thought.

Edited by Hillonearth