INDEPENDENT GROUP

MEADOWXI

11 hours ago, MixuFixit said:

Dead cat well and truly bounced. I wonder what that 6% of the electorate are going to do when they realise there isn't an IG candidate to vote for

Britain Elects has two polls released yesterday not one.

Neither of which is worth much as its a pretty ephemeral entity at the moment. SDP had some awesome polling in its early incarnation. That said

Large section of the British media is about to discover their politics represent <5%.

Tribune (his magazine) has a circulation of about 2000. I am not sure that is much of a grounding for attacking the popularity of other media outlets.

UK politics is most about brand loyalty. But brexit is the giant elephant in the room.

1 hour ago, topcat(The most tip top) said:

Being a remainer in a leave constituency will be a lot easier once the percentage of people who actually admit to voting Leave drops into the thirties

It doesn't work that way. Nobody ever admits that they were mislead or wrong. Everybody is a fricken genius in their own mind.

He’s wanting a customs union and close ties to the single market. Is that not soft enough for you?
And even then, the first we heard of this with any level of coherence (and it's still far from then) was January 2019.

The Labour leadership have had no intention of passing anything through parliament, they've never really tried to do anything properly.

It doesn't work that way. Nobody ever admits that they were mislead or wrong. Everybody is a fricken genius in their own mind.

They wouldn’t have to admit they were misled or wrong if they’re just going to be wise after the event and pretend they never fell for it in the first place and were right all along.

Of course this isn’t an option for people who’ve nailed their colours to the mast but The told you so movement can appeal to far more than 48% of the electorate

Just saying...

On 21/02/2019 at 13:42, WATTOO said:

I'm not so sure, there's certainly been a "plan" in place for quite some time and I have serious doubts that the people involved are either capable enough or powerful enough to have executed it all so smoothly, in that I'm referring to the  perfectly placed media stories / non stories and of course their timing etc in the lead up to the "breakaway".

If I start posting about "shadowy figures" or the "illuminati" then I've probably lost it and should be sectioned !!

On 21/02/2019 at 13:45, welshbairn said:

Whisper...Henry Jackson Society...nuff said.

:lol:

On 25/02/2019 at 08:31, topcat(The most tip top) said:

They wouldn’t have to admit they were misled or wrong if they’re just going to be wise after the event and pretend they never fell for it in the first place and were right all along.

Of course this isn’t an option for people who’ve nailed their colours to the mast but The told you so movement can appeal to far more than 48% of the electorate

I think you're underestimating modern day self righteousness. Everybody is right these days.

If Umunna couldn’t consciously allow Corbyn to become PM why did he stand as a Labour MP in 2017 when Corbyn was party leader?
It’s a rhetorical question.

There wasn’t really an expectation at that point that he’d ever become PM. Most people thought Labour would end up with 150-200 seats and Corbyn would be gone.

8 minutes ago, BerwickMad said:

There wasn’t really an expectation at that point that he’d ever become PM. Most people thought Labour would end up with 150-200 seats and Corbyn would be gone.

You think that excuses him?

13 minutes ago, BerwickMad said:

Instead, something worse happened. They got a wee bit more and Corbyn stayed. We now have a hard-right tory government with free reign to do whatever they like. :(

You think that excuses him?

There’s two main parties in England in most areas with quite a broad range of support. I don’t think you necessarily have to have full confidence in a leader, or agree with everything in a manifesto to stand for the party. You can stand for the values of the party as a whole. I doubt Corbyn had much confidence in Blair in 2005.

I’ve stood for Labour and agree with the values on my membership card. I stood in an election where I had huge reservations about the way that the Labour administration at county hall had run the council and I certainly didn’t have any confidence in the county leader.

If you have a realistic expectation that you can make a difference, I don’t see any harm in standing for a party, even if you don’t like the leadership.

5 minutes ago, BerwickMad said:

There’s two main parties in England in most areas with quite a broad range of support. I don’t think you necessarily have to have full confidence in a leader, or agree with everything in a manifesto to stand for the party. You can stand for the values of the party as a whole. I doubt Corbyn had much confidence in Blair in 2005.

I’ve stood for Labour and agree with the values on my membership card. I stood in an election where I had huge reservations about the way that the Labour administration at county hall had run the council and I certainly didn’t have any confidence in the county leader.

If you have a realistic expectation that you can make a difference, I don’t see any harm in standing for a party, even if you don’t like the leadership.

Difference between not liking the leader and not wanting him to be PM; that’s what Umunna was in effect saying.  He was quite happy that Labour was not in a position to form a government following an election.

Totally unacceptable for any MP or perspective MP with scruples.

1 minute ago, Granny Danger said:

Difference between not liking the leader and not wanting him to be PM; that’s what Umunna was in effect saying.  He was quite happy that Labour was not in a position to form a government following an election.

Totally unacceptable for any MP or perspective MP with scruples.

Not sure why Corbyn wanted Blair to be PM in 2005 given what he'd just done.