INDEPENDENT GROUP

MEADOWXI

https://www.theguardian.com/commentisfree/2019/feb/26/independent-group-lib-dems-vince-cable-westminster-sdp

A 'radical centrist' think tank are suggesting the Lib Dems dissolve and join the indepedent group. It's testimony to how shite they are he makes erasing a political party with tens of thousands of members seem less drastic than cancelling your Sky.

It's pretty clear from the language that the Tingers are hammering that this is intended to be an En Marche type effort to create a fake conduit for disaffection with current politics.

5 hours ago, BerwickMad said:

There’s two main parties in England in most areas with quite a broad range of support. I don’t think you necessarily have to have full confidence in a leader, or agree with everything in a manifesto to stand for the party. You can stand for the values of the party as a whole. I doubt Corbyn had much confidence in Blair in 2005.

I’ve stood for Labour and agree with the values on my membership card. I stood in an election where I had huge reservations about the way that the Labour administration at county hall had run the council and I certainly didn’t have any confidence in the county leader.

If you have a realistic expectation that you can make a difference, I don’t see any harm in standing for a party, even if you don’t like the leadership.

So it's really just tribal politics when it comes to Labour.

Who knew.

2 minutes ago, Detournement said:

Because the options were Blair or Michael Howard?

I'd forgotten Howard was ever leader tbh. I see Labour won with the lowest share of the vote in history, gives me a bit of hope for humanity.

if you're in the parliament acting like a party, they should be constituted as a party.

going about with a company name but not registered as a party is wrong.  It's also a sign of the "broken politics" mince they're going on about.

cheap slogans, what's their policies.

20 minutes ago, tirso said:

if you're in the parliament acting like a party, they should be constituted as a party.

going about with a company name but not registered as a party is wrong.  It's also a sign of the "broken politics" mince they're going on about.

cheap slogans, what's their policies.

They could call themselves the Labour Tory Alliance Party; I’m sure the electorate who voted for these MPs would appreciate the candour.

2 minutes ago, Granny Danger said:

They could call themselves the Labour Tory Alliance Party; I’m sure the electorate who voted for these MPs would appreciate the candour.

The Conservative Labour Alliance Party works better.

• 3 weeks later...

https://www.buzzfeed.com/solomonhughes/chuka-umunna-jeremy-isaacs

Chuka Umunna appears to have turned to one of the Tories' biggest donors to fund his office since leaving the Labour Party to lead The Independent Group of MPs.

According to the latest Register of MPs' Interests, published this week, Umunna accepted a £10k donation from Jeremy Isaacs for “funding the salaries and expenses of staff in my office”.

It is understood this is the same Jeremy Isaacs who is a City banker that has given over £500,000 to the Tories since 2006, and has attended Conservative dinners with David Cameron and Theresa May thanks to his donations.

Isaacs' most recent gift to the Conservative Party was £25,000, given in May 2017. He hasn’t donated to the national Conservative Party since then, but did give £25,000 to Tory backbench MP Tom Tugendhat to help run his office in 2018.

He was a senior banker at Lehman Brothers, the bank whose collapse sparked the 2008 financial crisis. He was Chief Executive for Europe, the Middle East and Asia; a top position that put him in regular contact with Dick Fuld, the final Chairman of Lehman, who was named among the “25 People to Blame for the Financial Crisis" by Time Magazine. Isaacs left Lehman days before the bank collapsed.

Isaacs is now a partner in his own finance firm, JRJ partners, which he set up with Roger Nagioff, one of his former colleagues at Lehman. Nagioff, like Isaacs, is a major Tory donor, having given the party £440,000.

On launching the Independent Group in February Umunna said he wanted to create an “alternative to the status quo, establishment parties”.

BuzzFeed News asked Umunna’s office about taking support from the former Conservative donor. They did not address Isaacs' donation directly or confirm that it was the man in question, but did emphasise their commitment to transparency over donations.

A spokesperson said all donations to MPs “will be declared in the right and proper way” on the MPs register. In addition they said that while they legally did not have to declare donations to The Independent Group, because it is not yet a political party, they “will voluntarily publish the names and amounts of any donations totalling £7500 in a year” . They also said that the Independent Group had “received many small donations” through their website.

Isaacs' office had not responded to a request for comment at the time of writing.

It may be that Isaacs has switched support from the Conservatives to Umunna’s “Independent Group” over Europe. He also donated £25k to the “In Campaign”, to help fund “Remain” in the 2016 European election.

Wee Ian on a TV interview this morning mentioned that Anna Soubry could not go home last night. I suppose that would be down to threats made, she is a feckin drama queen but she has the right to say what she believes in and no one should be subjected to this if true.

Edited by SandyCromarty