INDEPENDENT GROUP

MEADOWXI

4 minutes ago, Sooky said:

Say what you like about Soubry, but she’s gone all in for May now...

In another interview she called a Chris Grayling a “pitiful failure” and I think getting to insult Chris Grayling is probably the strongest reason Tories have for resigning.

Are you considering joining them or are you prepared to get involved in fisticuffs with ERG and UKIP entryists?

Edited by welshbairn

Are you considering joining them or are you prepared to get your glasses broken by the ERG and UKIP entryists?

The only reason I’m still a member is because I pay £5 a year and get invited to loads of free local association events where there is food and alcohol... [emoji102]

2 minutes ago, Sooky said:

The only reason I’m still a member is because I pay £5 a year and get invited to loads of free local association events where there is food and alcohol... emoji102.png

So if TIG throw better parties?

Rumour kicking about that some other LolBour nobody has resigned and will be joining these clowns. Ian Austin apparently. 

Also talk about John Mann and Margaret Hodge in some Twitter rumours.

Mann could leave over anti-Semitism but I’d be amazed if he joined TIG considering he’s been a staunch leave voter.

I fear TIG will do more harm than good with regards to providing a sensible centrist voice. It just pushes labour and tories further left and right respectively. They will lose their seats to unsavoury labour and tory candidates and the idea of a British 'En Marche' will be lost forever.

3 minutes ago, sparky88 said:

I fear TIG will do more harm than good with regards to providing a sensible centrist voice. It just pushes labour and tories further left and right respectively. They will lose their seats to unsavoury labour and tory candidates and the idea of a British 'En Marche' will be lost forever.

I'm not sure they'll have any real effect. They'll most be binned at the next election and be replaced with members of the two main parties. 

These 10 MPs have performed political suicide. They will find themselves in the political wilderness for years all because of Brexit. Complete morons
I don't think it's that they aren't aware tbh.

There might be one or two with genuine aspirations to set themselves up as champions of the centre for life but I think things have gotten to the point where every option looks bleak and this is a f**k you type move.

The stuff about the car industry is just the tip of the iceberg, we're going to see a steep economic decline in any sort of hard Brexit scenario. Any soft exit too will likely still result in major loss, especially if it's facilitated through some sort of temporary mechanism.

I know there's a few chancers in this lot but I respect them more for at least trying something. Lunatics running the government and then a laissez faire approach from the opposition - this might not achieve anything but we're headed for a bad state anyways.

Anna Soubry might be fooling a lot of folk, but I don't see how. If she didn't know what the Tories stood for when she joined and then ran for them, then she's an idiot. There isn't a single thing that she's said recently that isn't complete bullshit. But she knows folk will lap it up and she isn't wrong. She pretty much sums up this group of charlatans.

At the moment, the Labour Party is seen as too left wing for any Tory to defect to Labour.
Similarly no Labour MP is likely to defect to the Tories.

As a result, anyone wanting to jump ship ends up landing in the water.
Yes, there are the Liberal Democrats and the Greens but joining either of them just now would have less impact than a brand new party - if only temporarily.

Personally, I don't think the Labour Party is too left wing but there is this obsession with party leaders and a perception that Jeremy Corbyn is too left wing.
Forget what the party manifesto says - the party leader decides everything!
It's as if Jeremy Corbyn became Prime Minister, he could order everyone to paint their front door red and it would simply have to be done.
This isn't helped by Jeremy Corbyn's dictatorial and disingenuous stance on Brexit.

What amuses me is how everybody is accusing everybody else of living in the past.

7 hours ago, jupe1407 said:

I'm not sure they'll have any real effect. They'll most be binned at the next election and be replaced with members of the two main parties. 

^^This.

And in the mean time there are 11 anti Brexit MPs in parliament. If they had by elections then the likelihood is the main parties would replace them now with pro Brexit candidates who would win most of the seats.

By 2023 most of this lot will be standing in midlands marginals for a LD\TIG joint ticket. And we will all be dealing with the fall out of Brexit in our payslips and its  inflation.

1 hour ago, Principal Flutie said:

Anna Soubry might be fooling a lot of folk, but I don't see how. If she didn't know what the Tories stood for when she joined and then ran for them, then she's an idiot. There isn't a single thing that she's said recently that isn't complete bullshit. But she knows folk will lap it up and she isn't wrong. She pretty much sums up this group of charlatans.

All that is true.  Equally the 8 That have left Labour stood in 2017 knowing Corbyn was the leader and know the Labour manifesto on Brexit and a whole range of other issues.

8 minutes ago, Granny Danger said:

All that is true.  Equally the 8 That have left Labour stood in 2017 knowing Corbyn was the leader and know the Labour manifesto on Brexit and a whole range of other issues.

Corbyn stood on Tony Blairs manifesto and had no moral issue with standing on  Blairs money and party banner after the Iraq invasion.

What you are saying is Chuka Umunna cares more deeply about standing up to antisemitism than Corbyn cared about Iraq.

Interesting.

Why does Corbyn allow a convicted felon to retain the Labour whip?

Why does Corbyn not try to build for a motion of no confidence to stop Brexit (as there is now a growing revolt against it in parliament) where he can then get the 11 out of their seats in a general election?

2 hours ago, Principal Flutie said:

She was a Tory MP for 9 years, so by definition she's a complete wrong-un.

But whether it's to fool folk or because she genuinely believes it she has said quite a few things recently re. Brexit and immigration that I find myself in agreement with. Her stuff on austerity however just confirms the fact that her views on Brexit etc. is akin to a broken clock being right twice a day.  

2 hours ago, zidane's child said:

This could be the genuine time MPs defect to another party.

I remember in 2014 and 2015 there was talk of a number of backbench Tories leaving to join UKIP, when in reality, only one defected.

Effectively the entire Tory party defected to UKIP

32 minutes ago, dorlomin said:

Corbyn stood on Tony Blairs manifesto and had no moral issue with standing on  Blairs money and party banner after the Iraq invasion.

What you are saying is Chuka Umunna cares more deeply about standing up to antisemitism than Corbyn cared about Iraq.

Interesting.

Why does Corbyn allow a convicted felon to retain the Labour whip?

Why does Corbyn not try to build for a motion of no confidence to stop Brexit (as there is now a growing revolt against it in parliament) where he can then get the 11 out of their seats in a general election?

:lol: there’s a huge amount of whatabourery in that post, though I agree that Corbyn’s position on Brexit is chronic.

Comparing supposed anti-Semitism to Iraq is a belter.  

Personally I think the whole ‘anti-Semitism in the Labour Party’ has been hugely exaggerated for narrow political purposes.

I have tried Googling ‘examples of anti-Semitism in the Labour Party’ and the results don’t back up the claims that anti-Semitism is rife.  Some of the more relevant ones relate to incidents well before the last GE but didn’t stop those 8 from standing as Labour Party candidates.