Jump to content
  • Announcements

    • Div

      Pie and Bovril Nostalgia Mobile Phone Cases!   12/09/18

      We are delighted to have partnered up with Nostalgia Cases to offer a huge range of fantastic Scottish Football phone cases to our visitors. These high quality cases are available in a range of retro and up to date designs and there variations available for all Premiership, Championship and League 1 clubs as well as four of the League 2 teams. Within each club there are a range of choices. You'll find it difficult to choose! This is an Edinburgh based start-up, and they also provide a custom design service so if there is a kit you don't see that you'd love for your phone you can get in touch with them and they'll add it to their range. Naturally there is a HUGE support for all the major phone manufacturers and models and what's more delivery in the UK is completely FREE. What's even better is that Pie and Bovril users can get 10% off their order using the coupon code PIEANDBOV Take a look and browse the full range for your favourite club by clicking through to the website below. https://bit.ly/2M5laZs
Sign in to follow this  
MEADOWXI

INDEPENDENT GROUP

Recommended Posts

the seven have been joined by an 8th..... and now three Tories

https://news.sky.com/story/live-speculation-more-mps-will-quit-to-join-independent-group-11642586

Heidi Allen, Anna Soubry and Sarah Wollaston have left the Conservative Party for the Independent Group

They ain't quitting Labour because it anti-semitic.

Genuine change ahead or they new SDP being formed

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Pushes the chances of a Westminster GE closer. May's majority in parliament getting smaller. More Tories jump ship and they could hold a VoNC  

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Good idea to start a new thread.

Peter Hitchens has written that British politics needs re-aligned to a three party system, with a right-wing, 'national conservative' party, a centrist Cameron/Blair party and a left-wing, socialist party and that this would be a better reflection of voters and give people more choice.

Is this a step to this happening?  I don't think it is - the British electoral system is brutal for third parties and for new parties.   Nobody particularly popular or high profile has joined this new group.

As I said in the other thread, the real gap in British poltics is for a "Fund Our NHS, Hang the Paedos" Party.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Pushes the chances of a Westminster GE closer. May's majority in parliament getting smaller. More Tories jump ship and they could hold a VoNC  


I’m not so sure. The eight former Labour MPs are surely less likely to support a VoNC now as they have no support base yet?

On another note, first ever parliamentary group to have majority of female MPs?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
11 minutes ago, Colkitto said:

Pushes the chances of a Westminster GE closer. May's majority in parliament getting smaller. More Tories jump ship and they could hold a VoNC  

I guess, maybe.  On the other hand this mob have no whip, no common party structure, yet. Can we be sure that the ex-Labour MPs who left because of Corbyn would be willing to sanction a vote that might make him Prime Minister?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
I guess, maybe.  On the other hand this mob have no whip, no common party structure, yet. Can we be sure that the ex-Labour MPs who left because of Corbyn would be willing to sanction a vote that might make him Prime Minister?
They havent registered as a political party as of yet either

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

People keep banging on about the issues facing third parties under the system, but if you are a well-respected MP within your constituency then your position is unassailable. There is no donkey on a party ticket that can unseat an incumbent with genuine support, which is the main test that an independent-minded group of MPs are likely to face in the near future. The Busted Flushes are already just a rump of local interest MPs running under the facade of a national organisation.

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I can't see a third party surviving as a serious candidate for long as we have a FPTP system. Proportional maybe, but either the Independents will fritter away into nothing ( 99% likely) or this party will eat one of the other two (probably Labour).

Calling a GE would surely be too late unless they can find a majority (which I'm assuming is looking more likely to be all but fucked now) to call for a Brexit delay?

Either way, it's still not Borgen season 3 exciting.

Edited by the jambo-rocker

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Seems strange that all these well established MP's have put their political careers on the line. They surely must have some kind of plan other than publicly resigning from their parties?

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
9 minutes ago, ICTChris said:

Good idea to start a new thread.

Peter Hitchens has written that British politics needs re-aligned to a three party system, with a right-wing, 'national conservative' party, a centrist Cameron/Blair party and a left-wing, socialist party and that this would be a better reflection of voters and give people more choice.

Is this a step to this happening?  I don't think it is - the British electoral system is brutal for third parties and for new parties.   Nobody particularly popular or high profile has joined this new group.

As I said in the other thread, the real gap in British poltics is for a "Fund Our NHS, Hang the Paedos" Party.

I'm not sure that's true. Umunna was favourite to win the party leadership until he withdrew last time, Leslie has held senior positions in labour, Gapes has one of the biggest constituency majorities and the 3 new Tories are well pretty well known.

I agree the whole thing will register for a few weeks before this all dies down again though. I think a few might survive because of their popularity in their constituencies but a fair chance most will just disappear after the next election.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 minute ago, Kyle said:

I'm not sure that's true. Umunna was favourite to win the party leadership until he withdrew last time, Leslie has held senior positions in labour, Gapes has one of the biggest constituency majorities and the 3 new Tories are well pretty well known.

I agree the whole thing will register for a few weeks before this all dies down again though. I think a few might survive because of their popularity in their constituencies but a fair chance most will just disappear after the next election.

The likes of Allen have 5 figure majorities in their constituencies as well. Umunna has a decent profile (still think he pulled out of the leadership contest becuase someone had something on him) Wollaston maybe only amongst political nerds, but her profession and therefore pet subject (the NHS) will command a certain amount of air time as well.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Seems strange that all these well established MP's have put their political careers on the line. They surely must have some kind of plan other than publicly resigning from their parties?
 

Oh I imagine Chuka will spend a lot of time doing speaking engagements for HSBC etc. once he's kicked out of Westminster. The other nobodies will fight for scraps of that sort.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
5 minutes ago, Colkitto said:

Seems strange that all these well established MP's have put their political careers on the line. They surely must have some kind of plan other than publicly resigning from their parties?

 

If an MP carries water for corporate interests they are well looked after. See David Milliband's £600,000 a year charity job, Gideon's seven jobs, Cameron's speaking fees, Jack Straw's money from Erdogan. The list is endless.

These MPs are on the gravy train. They have nothing to worry about.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I trust Anna Sourface is going to go for a bye Election seeing she's so fond of looking another vote.

Probably not.

I Hypocrite.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
46 minutes ago, ICTChris said:

Good idea to start a new thread.

Peter Hitchens has written that British politics needs re-aligned to a three party system, with a right-wing, 'national conservative' party, a centrist Cameron/Blair party and a left-wing, socialist party and that this would be a better reflection of voters and give people more choice.

Is this a step to this happening?  I don't think it is - the British electoral system is brutal for third parties and for new parties.   Nobody particularly popular or high profile has joined this new group.

As I said in the other thread, the real gap in British poltics is for a "Fund Our NHS, Hang the Paedos" Party.

 

Isn't this what Dominic Cummings believes is how you win over the British public?

 

38 minutes ago, virginton said:

People keep banging on about the issues facing third parties under the system, but if you are a well-respected MP within your constituency then your position is unassailable. There is no donkey on a party ticket that can unseat an incumbent with genuine support, which is the main test that an independent-minded group of MPs are likely to face in the near future. The Busted Flushes are already just a rump of local interest MPs running under the facade of a national organisation.

 

Isn't the Independent Group's plan to resign their seats at the next election and stand in key marginals instead? 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 minute ago, NotThePars said:

 

Isn't the Independent Group's plan to resign their seats at the next election and stand in key marginals instead? 

I've only seen that as a rumour on Momentum type twitter feeds. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

How much of these majorities are down to the party they represent rather than the individual? 

Short of mocking Hillsborough victims on a regular basis and throwing their own shit at the families' windows during an election campaign, I can't think of anything that would lead the voters of Liverpool Wavertree to pick someone other than the Labour candidate. 

Some of the candidates may have their personal following but even with those big numbers will it be enough to overturn decades of tribal loyalty to a certain party? I doubt it. 

Their political careers are mostly finished, although I'm sure they will be OK in their future careers. Maybe backing will come to try and make a go of it, but at the moment it seems very loose. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

So these Labour MPs feel that they have the right to continue to ‘represent’ the folk who voted Labour whilst at the same time being happy to align themselves with Tories?

I hope their constituency offices get picketed by the people who put them there.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

If nothing else at least we have a new buzzword for this quarter.

"Broad church"

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now

Sign in to follow this  

  • Recently Browsing   0 members

    No registered users viewing this page.

×