Squad face March

39 minutes ago, Jeremiah Cole said:

He obviously sees himself as English and could well make it as England's number 1.

If he plays for Scotland then he might one day, in the future, be sat watching England win a major tournament or have a glorious campaign, and wish he'd been part of that.

I'm sure he does but could easily get to the age of 30 having at most a handful of caps and maybe sat on the bench at a couple of tournaments unused. Whereas he could in theory have about 40 caps as Scotland's first choice.

Wouldn't imagine he'll be in any rush to change and as long as England don't just cap him in a competitive game to stop him changing there's still every chance he could change down the line.

• Replies 392
  • Created
  • Last Reply
13 minutes ago, Big Fifer said:

You were making the point that there were a number of Premier League players that probably wouldn't even be in the squad. I'm just saying, I don't see many of them as that big of a miss. Maybe wires crossed on my behalf here. 

Your last reply talked about mid table Championship players though. I didn't mention Championship players.

As for the Premiership players, there is no doubt IMO that Gunn, Bardsley, McArthur, Ritchie and Snodgrass would be in the squad.

McGregor is nearing the end of his career, Angus Gunn is a £13.5 million goalkeeper now playing regularly in the Premiership. He'd be a stick on certainty to become our long term number 1.

There have been folk on this thread moaning about us not having a right back or a holding midfielder. Bardsley & McArthur may not be the greatest but they are playing right back / holding midfield regularly in the Premiership!

We actually have decent wingers already but I reckon that both Ritchie & Snodgrass would provide pretty decent depth to the squad. Snodgrass could easily fill the number 10 role and Ritchie would be a decent replacement for Forrest & Fraser. Naismith & Mackay-Steven wouldn't get a regular game in the Premiership!

Keep the same team that bummed Albania and put Israel to the sword.  With Burke coming on after 65 to stretch the defence to create space for Ryan Christie's 4th goal of the game.

1 hour ago, TheScarf said:

Keep the same team that bummed Albania and put Israel to the sword.  With Burke coming on after 65 to stretch the defence to create space for Ryan Christie's 4th goal of the game.

Christie is injured, Tierney & Mulgrew are fit. I can't see it being the same side.

3 hours ago, Jeremiah Cole said:

Your last reply talked about mid table Championship players though. I didn't mention Championship players.

As for the Premiership players, there is no doubt IMO that Gunn, Bardsley, McArthur, Ritchie and Snodgrass would be in the squad.

McGregor is nearing the end of his career, Angus Gunn is a £13.5 million goalkeeper now playing regularly in the Premiership. He'd be a stick on certainty to become our long term number 1.

There have been folk on this thread moaning about us not having a right back or a holding midfielder. Bardsley & McArthur may not be the greatest but they are playing right back / holding midfield regularly in the Premiership!

We actually have decent wingers already but I reckon that both Ritchie & Snodgrass would provide pretty decent depth to the squad. Snodgrass could easily fill the number 10 role and Ritchie would be a decent replacement for Forrest & Fraser. Naismith & Mackay-Steven wouldn't get a regular game in the Premiership!

I don't understand any clamour for these guys just now given that a) they've not done anything amazing for Scotland recently and b) the squad we've got are in good form and it looks like we've found some sort of rhythm at last.

If we lose the first few games of this upcoming campaign though I could easily see a tide change and people crying out for the guys in bold above. Hope that doesn't happen tbh - I'd rather have a squad with good on-field chemistry than a squad of 'the best' players. That all said, I'd happily field a team of dead cats if they won more often than not.

I had in my mind it was next Monday or Tuesday.
Fair enough. Noticed the youth squads all got announced this week and McLeish usually does his on a Wednesday. Maybe waiting to see if everyone comes through this weekends games without injury.

12 minutes ago, Gordopolis said:

I don't understand any clamour for these guys just now given that a) they've not done anything amazing for Scotland recently and b) the squad we've got are in good form and it looks like we've found some sort of rhythm at last.

If we lose the first few games of this upcoming campaign though I could easily see a tide change and people crying out for the guys in bold above. Hope that doesn't happen tbh - I'd rather have a squad with good on-field chemistry than a squad of 'the best' players. That all said, I'd happily field a team of dead cats if they won more often than not.

McArthur is done is he not? Retired? He'd struggle to get in anyway!

Snodgrass is actually playing well enough to get himself back in the squad.

Just now, GhostZapper said:

McArthur is done is he not? Retired? He'd struggle to get in anyway!

Snodgrass is actually playing well enough to get himself back in the squad.

Yeah he is (McArthur).  Fair enough if any of them are standing out in the EPL, but just turning out there shouldn't IMO mean an automatic call-up.

2 minutes ago, Gordopolis said:

Yeah he is (McArthur).  Fair enough if any of them are standing out in the EPL, but just turning out there shouldn't IMO mean an automatic call-up.

agreed - Ritchie was called up and pulled out far too many times for my liking!

8 minutes ago, Gordopolis said:

I'm not really clamouring for them. Their heart obviously isn't in it and they don't want to play for Scotland. I just think its a shame that players of this quality won't play for us.

And let's not get carried away that the guys who ARE playing are now "amazing" because of a couple of good results against giants of world football like Israel and Albania. We had a long line of dire results and performances before that!

Ritchie asked not be considered last year but didn’t retire, I don’t think he’s changed his mind and in any case it’s a position we’re well covered in.

2 hours ago, GhostZapper said:

Players who are called up don't pull out.  They are sent home after reporting for duty.  Which sounds a bit militaristic, but "pulling out of squads" is usually an unfair accusation.  Matt Ritchie's done hee-haw for Scotland other than a few assists against Gibraltar and probably the best goal I've ever seen scored by Scotland, but I'd have him in the squad.  I think McLeish intimated there was a familial reason Ritchie didn't want to be included.

It's bee a fair while since Snodgrass was an essential player for Scotland, but I'd have him in the squad.  There's also a well-publicised reason he hasn't been included much recently, and I doubt that will change any time soon.

Unfortunately for McLeish - and I'd have the guy getting his p45 tomorrow - these things have all come at the same time (McArthur as well) and it looks as if there's a recurring theme of players not wanting to be called up because of him.  I doubt that's the case.

Phil Bardsley is a different case.  He's not really very good, but when the alternative is Stephen O'Donnell, things call for desperate measures.

1 hour ago, Gordopolis said:

McTominay starting tonight Vs PSG. No way he'll not be in our squad now

Bizarre thinking one of the two guys we have that play for a big team in one of the top leagues wouldnt be in the squad tbh, regardless if he played tonight or not.

Team to play Kazakhstan:

McGregor

Tierney
Bates
McKenna
Robertson

McGregor
McTominay
McGinn

Fraser
Burke
Forrest

Use the front three's pace on the break.

Team to play San Marino:

Bain

O'Donnell
McKenna
Tierney
Robertson

McGregor

Forrest
Christie
Paterson
Fraser

McBurnie

Get McBurnie a goal. Paterson getting into the box to give us a plan B if we cant break them down.

Archived