Squad face March

2 minutes ago, BingMcCrosby said:

I think he's trying to say that in an 11 aside game the affects on knees and joints is different than in a game 5s. I've no idea why or how. 

But if you bring 5s into this you are a moron apparently.  

I better not mention the worldy singles I played on astroturf

Maybe Steven MacLean's "doctor" can tell us?

• Replies 392
  • Created
  • Last Reply
7 hours ago, Marshmallo said:

Maybe Steven MacLean's "doctor" can tell us?

Find out who his surgeon was and ask.

MacLean has had knee injuries since he was about 18, and needed surgery in 2013, and 2014, on his knees. It was after this he was told to stay off it, hes not had a major knee injury since.

You can keep mocking things just because it's me who's saying it if it makes you feel better though.

7 hours ago, BingMcCrosby said:

I think he's trying to say that in an 11 aside game the affects on knees and joints is different than in a game 5s. I've no idea why or how. 

But if you bring 5s into this you are a moron apparently.  

I better not mention the worldy singles I played on astroturf

You've no idea how 5 a side is less stressful on the joints than 11 a side? 

11 hours ago, virginton said:

The scientific evidence on this issue is comprehensive and totally contradicts your anecdotal experience though. Anyone who chooses to ignore that are the real fucking morons in this discussion.

If it's comprehensive I'm sure you won't struggle to put up a dece paper on the chance of re injury off an Acl injury on artificial v grass pitches? 

Looking forward to it. 

46 minutes ago, Grant228 said:

You've no idea how 5 a side is less stressful on the joints than 11 a side? 

If it's comprehensive I'm sure you won't struggle to put up a dece paper on the chance of re injury off an Acl injury on artificial v grass pitches? 

Looking forward to it. 

https://www.hindawi.com/journals/jsm/2013/380523/

This study from The Journal of Sports Medicine suggests there is a LOWER rate of injury on astroturf versus grass. 

13 hours ago, Grant228 said:

I ruptured my Acl a few years back and I don't play on astros anymore, while they may not be the cause of the injury I'm baffled that anyone can say there isn't a higher risk of re injury on them. 

From personal experience they're far worse on the knees and joints in full sided games, anyone trying to bring fives into this is a fucking moron. 

I'll take the conclusions of scientific studies over "I got injured once" I think.

11 hours ago, skippy2015 said:

The science is defo not conclusive but there seems to be more evidence that their is a higher rate of injury on Astro turf.

The science is inconclusive there loads of research especially in the states that show that knee injuries increase when playing on AstroTurf (the American journal of sports medicine looked at American football players said there was a 40 per cent higher chance of knee injuries over a 5 year period)

But in saying that a simple google search shows just as much evidence the other way.

I couldn’t find any research based on sportspeople who have had a ACL and the chances of this recurring on AstroTurf as opposed to grass so I guess there hasn’t been a great amount of research in this area.

For every study that suggests there's a higher rate of injury I could point to one that contradicts it. Football is a contact sport, people will get injured, grass or plastic it really doesn't matter.

1 hour ago, Marshmallo said:

This study from The Journal of Sports Medicine suggests there is a LOWER rate of injury on astroturf versus grass. 

Nobodies argued you get more injuries on plastic pitches, all we're saying is players with weak spots due to injuries will find plastic is more likely to aggravate it.

Staggered folk cant understand the difference.

I'm no doctor but it seems reasonable enough to assume that the harder the surface that you run on the higher the impact on your joints. Anecdotally, i play on astro all the time, weirdly I used to have big problems with it and my joints (mainly my knees) would swell up and turn red regularly. But after years of playing on these parks it's almost as if my body has got used to it now and I don't get any problems at all really anymore.   

19 minutes ago, RandomGuy. said:

Nobodies argued you get more injuries on plastic pitches, all we're saying is players with weak spots due to injuries will find plastic is more likely to aggravate it.

Staggered folk cant understand the difference.

Prove it

I'm not jumping to either side, but is there anything that actually proves there's more danger on plastic pitches than not?  Or is it just weaker parts of the body, and a higher risk rather than anything concrete?  Just always seems like one of those things that has become almost a fact by people mentioning it so much, rather than being based on anything, but happy to have my mind changed on that.

It's obviously going to depend massively on the standard of pitches.  Some of the older ones you may as well just be playing on an iced-up indoor hard court, but the newer ones have gotten better.  What about the really shitty grass pitches though, do they not run the risk of injuries about as much?  A shite pitch is a shite pitch, just different kinds of shite.

29 minutes ago, Marshmallo said:

Prove it

I mean, Saints left their best striker out of matches on it for over four years because of it, think they just done that for the crack?

I mean, Saints left their best striker out of matches on it for over four years because of it, think they just done that for the crack?
Presumably they done it because he refused to play on it, and they deemed the cnsequences of the regularity of this occurence low enough, and what he offered outwith these instances highly enough to let him away with that. Pretty simple balance of risk/reward. A million miles away from proof though.

Boils down to no more than that players opinion.

6 minutes ago, RandomGuy. said:

Well according to you this was on the advice of a single doctor. The same player has played on artificial surfaces since.

Give me some data to back up what you're saying.

4 minutes ago, Bairnardo said:

Presumably they done it because he refused to play on it, and they deemed the cnsequences of the regularity of this occurence low enough, and what he offered outwith these instances highly enough to let him away with that. Pretty simple balance of risk/reward. A million miles away from proof though.

Boils down to no more than that players opinion.

He didn't refuse anything, the surgeon who operated on his knee advised him that the chances of causing even further damage to the knee was much higher on artificial surfaces.

4 minutes ago, Marshmallo said:

Well according to you this was on the advice of a single doctor. The same player has played on artificial surfaces since.

Give me some data to back up what you're saying.

Advice of the surgeon who'd operated on his knee twice.

He has played on it since, yes, that's a risk he wants to take.

3 hours ago, Marshmallo said:

I have absolutely no opinion of injuries on the surface, merely that there's a higher risk of re injuring in those who have pre existing injuries. 

My ACL was done on an artificial surface but I reckon due to the nature of the injury it would've happened on grass anyway, since then though I've found that doing sports on artificial injures aggrivates it more, the more slidey nature of the pitch leads to more twists. Even hard grass pitches seem to have more give on them than most artificial surfaces which leads to sore hips/kness after a long game on them. 

I've not got a single reason to lie about this, not all knee injuries are the same and not all artificial pitches are as good as each other, maybe mine while fully recuperated will always be susceptible to it, maybe others won't. As it is though I won't get worked up over a player asking to not play on it. If they were to play but they weren't confident would they be able to give 100%? I never had a problem playing on good artificial surfaces before my injury, but afterwards they're a bit of a nightmare. 

9 minutes ago, Grant228 said:

I have absolutely no opinion of injuries on the surface, merely that there's a higher risk of re injuring in those who have pre existing injuries. 

My ACL was done on an artificial surface but I reckon due to the nature of the injury it would've happened on grass anyway, since then though I've found that doing sports on artificial injures aggrivates it more, the more slidey nature of the pitch leads to more twists. Even hard grass pitches seem to have more give on them than most artificial surfaces which leads to sore hips/kness after a long game on them. 

I've not got a single reason to lie about this, not all knee injuries are the same and not all artificial pitches are as good as each other, maybe mine while fully recuperated will always be susceptible to it, maybe others won't. As it is though I won't get worked up over a player asking to not play on it. If they were to play but they weren't confident would they be able to give 100%? I never had a problem playing on good artificial surfaces before my injury, but afterwards they're a bit of a nightmare. 

You’re probably out of luck trying to reason with the “I WONT HAVE ANYONE SAY A BAD WORD ABOUT ARTIFICIAL PITCHES” brigade.

Archived