Sign in to follow this  
Craig McCulloch Burley

Squad face March

1 hour ago, Jeremiah Cole said:

Why are we forced to leave out Armstrong and McGregor?

Just my phrasing. I meant if we went with my suggested team it'd mean leaving those two quality players on the bench. Good problem to have.

57 minutes ago, The Moonster said:

Don't mind the squad. Sure, we're light in the goalkeeper and striker department, and I'm not entirely convinced with Barry Bannan or Kenny McLean, but it's probably about as good as we've got right now.

Marc McNulty was unexpected but I've been impressed with him in recent weeks.  His dad is also bursting with pride on social media and I find it quite endearing, strangely.

FFS I must have scanned the squad list two dozen times and I missed him every time. Him and Barry Bannan do feel like weak links tbh - neither in the same class as Armstrong, McT, McGinn or McGregor 

1 hour ago, Jeremiah Cole said:

So Snodgrass has retired as well?

Where is Matt Phillips? Was he injured on Saturday?

Snoddy’s mum isn’t well

7 hours ago, forameus said:

And it's not like us to do that, is it?

Eh, Craig?

No, definitely not, Craig

In fact, looking back through our opening day results is fucking harrowing.  We pummeled Malta last time, and the Faroes for 2008 qualifying, and a narrow 1-0 win over Latvia for 2002 but other than that...

0-0 Serbia
0-0 Lithuania
0-1 Slovenia
1-2 Germany
0-1 Macedonia
2-2 Faroes

Fucking hell.

Exactly. Every campaign we are struggling for points in the final matches. Yet somehow it doesn't occur to Burley/Levein/Strachan that we should go all out for 3 points in the opening every game.

It's almost as if they were more interested in staying in the job until the end of the campaign than qualifying.

7 minutes ago, Detournement said:

Exactly. Every campaign we are struggling for points in the final matches. Yet somehow it doesn't occur to Burley/Levein/Strachan that we should go all out for 3 points in the opening every game.

It's almost as if they were more interested in staying in the job until the end of the campaign than qualifying.

I wouldn't imagine it was anything as sinister as that.  I think they genuinely don't see the games as must-win.  I can kind of see where they're coming from, and I suspect their message is a lot different to the players than to the general public, but given our record there's clearly something up.  

To be honest, I'd tend to discount the Malta result from the last campaign, as from memory I think we were pretty honking, and benefited from a baffling refereeing decision, and Malta generally losing their shit.  Add the narrow win against Latvia, and you're looking at one good result in 9 campaigns.

It actually reminds me a bit of that Serbia/Macedonia double header Levein had where we drew twice.  Winnable games on paper, and put us off to a terrible start.  Kazakhstan and San Marino are a step down from them - if we don't get 6 here, then we're not out of it, but we essentially then need full points from everyone but Belgium (and probably at least 3 from those).

So let's just win, aye?

I can maybe see the following team:

Bain

Tierney - Mulgrew - McKenna - Robertson

Forrest - Armstrong - McTominay - McGinn - McGregor

McBurnie

I could also maybe see Tierney wide left with McGregor in the middle for McGinn and Palmer at right back.

And I could also maybe see Burke starting, maybe through the middle for McBurnie or maybe wide with McGregor in the middle and Tierney at right back.

Ryan Fraser should be told to put his boots on in Kazakhstan or not to bother turning up at all. "Bro science" BS about plastic pitches.

This Kazakhstan game is starting to feel Georgia-esque - we'll now have a week of moaning about the travel distance, kick off time, weather, time difference and, of course, the pitch, before the players cack their pants and lose 1-0.

14 minutes ago, Jeremiah Cole said:

I can maybe see the following team:

Bain

Tierney - Mulgrew - McKenna - Robertson

Forrest - Armstrong - McTominay - McGinn - McGregor

McBurnie

Put Burke in for McTominay and swap him with McGregor and that's what I think we'll line up.

10 minutes ago, Marshmallo said:

Ryan Fraser should be told to put his boots on in Kazakhstan or not to bother turning up at all. "Bro science" BS about plastic pitches.

Whilst I agree it's bullshit, it seems like it's Bournemouth requesting he doesn't play rather than Fraser himself.  

This Kazakhstan game is starting to feel Georgia-esque - we'll now have a week of moaning about the travel distance, kick off time, weather, time difference and, of course, the pitch, before the players cack their pants and lose 1-0.

Some teams have 2 games before the Kazakhstan game so we can expect more call offs to come. That’s the most worrying thing for me as it stands our team looks quite good but we could have loads of call offs after the weekend games

30 minutes ago, Marshmallo said:

This Kazakhstan game is starting to feel Georgia-esque - we'll now have a week of moaning about the travel distance, kick off time, weather, time difference and, of course, the pitch, before the players kazakh their pants and lose 1-0.

FTFY

Kazakhstan have announced their squad.

Goalkeepers: Stas Pokatilov (Kairat), Dmitro Nepogodov (Ordabasy), Igor Shatsky (Shakhtar)

Defenders: Abzal Beisebekov, Yuri Logvinenko, Dmitri Shomko, Yevgeny Postnikov (Astana), Yan Vorogovskiy, Eldos Akhmetov, Gafurzhan Suyumbayev (Kairat), Temirlan Erlanov, Sergey Malyy (Ordabasy)

Midfielders: Serikzhan Muzhikov, Yuri Pertsukh (Astana), Bauyrzhan Islamkhan, Islambek Kuat, Georgy Zhukov (Kairat), Baktiyer Zaynutdinov (Rostov, Russia), Maksim Fedin (Tobol), Alexander Merkel (Heracles, Holland)

Forwards: Roman Murtazayev (Astana), Aleksei Shchetkin (Ordabasy), Bauyrzhan Turysbek (Tobol), Erkebulan Seydahmet (Levski, Bulgaria).

Kazakhstan have announced their squad.

Goalkeepers: Stas Pokatilov (Kairat), Dmitro Nepogodov (Ordabasy), Igor Shatsky (Shakhtar)

Defenders: Abzal Beisebekov, Yuri Logvinenko, Dmitri Shomko, Yevgeny Postnikov (Astana), Yan Vorogovskiy, Eldos Akhmetov, Gafurzhan Suyumbayev (Kairat), Temirlan Erlanov, Sergey Malyy (Ordabasy)

Midfielders: Serikzhan Muzhikov, Yuri Pertsukh (Astana), Bauyrzhan Islamkhan, Islambek Kuat, Georgy Zhukov (Kairat), Baktiyer Zaynutdinov (Rostov, Russia), Maksim Fedin (Tobol), Alexander Merkel (Heracles, Holland)

Forwards: Roman Murtazayev (Astana), Aleksei Shchetkin (Ordabasy), Bauyrzhan Turysbek (Tobol), Erkebulan Seydahmet (Levski, Bulgaria).

They have lots of players whose name is hard to pronounce. 6-0 Kazakhstan.

With McGregor retiring and Gordon out of the picture, I'm surprised that David Marshall didn't get a recall.

Playing regularly in the Championship and at 34, he's certainly not over the hill yet.

Also surprised that Ryan Jack isn't in the squad.

Edited by Jeremiah Cole

Fraser must be up there as one of the least committed players in Scotland's recent history.

Constantly pulling out of squads for every minor thing possible, and then had the cheek to go on the official Scotland podcast and moan about not getting picked enough.

5 minutes ago, craigkillie said:

Fraser must be up there as one of the least committed players in Scotland's recent history.

Constantly pulling out of squads for every minor thing possible, and then had the cheek to go on the official Scotland podcast and moan about not getting picked enough.

Unfortunately he's probably our second or third best player so we need to pander to it. Given the second game is San Marino this time I'd be tempted to tell him to ram it.

Barring the impending withdrawls I'd line up like this.
LINEUP111552412538403.thumb.png.ea843a7d055ad388c04b988d7249d7f7.png
Swap Mulgrew for Bates and I'd agree.

1 hour ago, IggyStooge said:

Steven Fletcher starting for Sheffield Wednesday tonight... Hmmm.

And scores of course.