Squad face March

15 hours ago, craigkillie said:
16 hours ago, Gordopolis said:
No Burke in u21s so almost certain he'll be recalled to the full squad

Too old for the U21s.

Technically not for this squad as he's still 21 over the course of these two friendlies, but I see he turns 22 in April thus ruling him out of the next squad (the U21 Euro Championships in September).

Anyways, I reckon he'd be better utilised in the full squad rather than getting a friendly run out for the U21s. 

• Replies 392
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Burke only one likely, like Jason Kerr probably as much right to be in squad as Mikey Devlin, Brophy another one would much rather see him in squad than McBurnie.

Mcburnie is a definite for the squad 16 goals and 4 assists this season and on form. Still only 22 as well. Wouldn’t start him but a good player to bring on if things aren’t going our way and we need a goal

4 hours ago, Big Fifer said:

I'd love to see Kerr in the squad (us diddy fans need to fanboi our ex-loanees instead of our own players for the national side) but it's probably not going to happen yet. Might be a bit early, and the anti-St Johnstone bias will of course shine through as always. Wouldn't be surprised if Burke was back in. Brophy and Mallan not for me tbh, and I doubt Taylor will be in simply because of the left back situation. 

Kerr wont get a call up while at Saints. Devlin, who's played 20 games in 2 years, will be ahead of him the pecking order, because he plays for Aberdeen.

45 minutes ago, RandomGuy. said:

Kerr wont get a call up while at Saints. Devlin, who's played 20 games in 2 years, will be ahead of him the pecking order, because he plays for Aberdeen.

I'd be surprised as he hasn't looked to be back to his best since returning from injury and has been on the bench for us in the last couple of games. I'm sure plenty of other defenders will be called up ahead of Kerr though.

Mcburnie is a definite for the squad 16 goals and 4 assists this season and on form. Still only 22 as well. Wouldn’t start him but a good player to bring on if things aren’t going our way and we need a goal

I always think Mcburnie looks handy for Swansea but he looks lost and nothing like same player for us. He does deserve time to develop though probably being a bit harsh.

I always think Mcburnie looks handy for Swansea but he looks lost and nothing like same player for us. He does deserve time to develop though probably being a bit harsh.

Yeah only 6 caps and he’s only 22 - very highly rated down south and rumours of premier league teams may bid in summer. If he can continue to improve the next 2 - 3 years he could be a very important player for the future.

Yeah only 6 caps and he’s only 22 - very highly rated down south and rumours of premier league teams may bid in summer. If he can continue to improve the next 2 - 3 years he could be a very important player for the future.

Be learning of the right good player in Stevie fletch as well.

10 hours ago, accies1874 said:

Lads, we still don't really have a holding midfielder.
Is McGregor still first choice despite not playing there since December?

Scott McTominay has started the last 3 games for Manchester United as holding midfielder and has just signed a new 4 and a half year contract with them.

If he's good enough for Manchester United.....

13 hours ago, skippy2015 said:

Noticed Liam Palmer has been playing right back for Sheffield wednesday no idea how good he is but anything would be better than Patterson playing out of position their again.

A quick google will tell you what the Sheffield Wednesday fans think of him.....

It'll be Tierney or Paterson at right back!

Of course, we actually have an actual right back who has been playing regularly in the Premiership lately, Phil Bardsley, but he won't be in the squad.

There are actually 8 current regulars in the Premiership who are eligible for Scotland, who (probably) won't be in the squad: Gunn, Bardsley, Bryan, McDonald, McArthur, Cairney, Ritchie, Snodgrass

24 minutes ago, Jeremiah Cole said:

A quick google will tell you what the Sheffield Wednesday fans think of him.....

It'll be Tierney or Paterson at right back!

Of course, we actually have an actual right back who has been playing regularly in the Premiership lately, Phil Bardsley, but he won't be in the squad.

There are actually 8 current regulars in the Premiership who are eligible for Scotland, who (probably) won't be in the squad: Gunn, Bardsley, Bryan, McDonald, McArthur, Cairney, Ritchie, Snodgrass

We've been lulled into this before though, thinking all the players playing in the Premier League/Championship must be the best options. Cairney, Ritchie and McDonald have all flattered to deceive in a Scotland shirt.  Gunn I'm sure wants to wait and see regarding his international future, Bardsley isn't fussed for playing for Scotland as far as I can tell, and I think Snodgrass and McArthur will both probably be in the squad IMO. 

Be interesting to see what happens with Angus Gunn. With Mcgregor and Gordon being the age they are he could easily cement himself as Scotland's number 1 for a long time but I doubt he'll ever be better than maybe the 3rd or 4th choice for England. He's only a year younger than Pickford and England seem to have a lot of other decent young-ish keepers too.

16 minutes ago, Big Fifer said:

We've been lulled into this before though, thinking all the players playing in the Premier League/Championship must be the best options. Cairney, Ritchie and McDonald have all flattered to deceive in a Scotland shirt.  Gunn I'm sure wants to wait and see regarding his international future, Bardsley isn't fussed for playing for Scotland as far as I can tell, and I think Snodgrass and McArthur will both probably be in the squad IMO. 

I haven't mentioned any Championship players.

Yes, there are a variety of reasons why these guys won't be there, its just a shame that we are missing out on quality players.

2 minutes ago, Rodhull said:

Be interesting to see what happens with Angus Gunn. With Mcgregor and Gordon being the age they are he could easily cement himself as Scotland's number 1 for a long time but I doubt he'll ever be better than maybe the 3rd or 4th choice for England. He's only a year younger than Pickford and England seem to have a lot of other decent young-ish keepers too.

He obviously sees himself as English and could well make it as England's number 1.

If he plays for Scotland then he might one day, in the future, be sat watching England win a major tournament or have a glorious campaign, and wish he'd been part of that.

6 minutes ago, Jeremiah Cole said:

I haven't mentioned any Championship players.

Yes, there are a variety of reasons why these guys won't be there, its just a shame that we are missing out on quality players.

I know you never mentioned any championship players, but that has been an opinion held by many that mid table championship players must automatically be better than anyone in our top league.

13 minutes ago, Big Fifer said:

I know you never mentioned any championship players, but that has been an opinion held by many that mid table championship players must automatically be better than anyone in our top league.

Not really sure of the relevance to my post!

17 minutes ago, Jeremiah Cole said:

Not really sure of the relevance to my post!

You were making the point that there were a number of Premier League players that probably wouldn't even be in the squad. I'm just saying, I don't see many of them as that big of a miss. Maybe wires crossed on my behalf here. 

Archived