Squad face March

21 minutes ago, Tarmo Kink said:

San Marino again lost 1-0 in their warm-up match. This time to Serie C side Imolese.

Aye, but what pitch were they on, how many people got injured because of that pitch, and what did their surgeons say?

• Replies 392
  • Created
  • Last Reply
1 hour ago, RandomGuy. said:

He played about three or four less games a season. Again, all I've said is a surgeon who worked on his knees, twice, told him the chances of injuring the same knee were heightened if he played on the firmer artificial surface.

Well he got a knee injury in 2013, had surgery, continued to play on artificial surfaces, got another knee injury in 2014, had surgery and stopped playing on artificial surfaces, and hasn't had a major knee injury since.

You're speaking as if a 30+ year old man with a history of knee problems since he was 18 can have a surgery that completely rids him of those issues.

It's not as though he was playing a ton of games on artificial surfaces beforehand though.

The first of those knee injuries occurred in October 2013. At that stage, there were no artificial surfaces in the top flight of Scottish football, and I don't think he played on one in Europe either.

He then returned to the team in February 2014, and picked up his second injury in August 2014. In that period, he played one domestic match on an artificial pitch (v Hamilton) and I don't think he played on one in Europe either.

Just now, craigkillie said:

It's not as though he was playing a ton of games on artificial surfaces beforehand though.

The first of those knee injuries occurred in October 2013. At that stage, there were no artificial surfaces in the top flight of Scottish football, and I don't think he played on one in Europe either.

He then returned to the team in February 2014, and picked up his second injury in August 2014. In that period, he played one domestic match on an artificial pitch (v Hamilton) and I don't think he played on one in Europe either.

Again, I've never said the injuries came about because of them. All I've said is that after the second surgery he was advised not to play on them.

Was just meant to be an example that some players will have genuine reasons why they wont play on it.

2 hours ago, RandomGuy. said:

You're speaking as if a 30+ year old man with a history of knee problems since he was 18 can have a surgery that completely rids him of those issues.

Given that we have access to modern fucking medicine, of course he can. It's not the 1960s with Allan McGraw being given injections every week to play every week any more (on grass surfaces, no less). 

1 hour ago, Grant228 said:

I'm saying they can aggregate old injuries, an entirely different proposition, something that isn't opposed by real data, if it was I'm sure someone would've linked it. 

The onus is on the person making the claim (you) to provide the evidence, not the other way round. The evidence on the role of artificial pitches causing injuries is both comprehensive and negative, so unless you have something substantive to offer then we can safely file your anecdotal bullshit feelings about them in the bin as well. 

25 minutes ago, virginton said:

Given that we have access to modern fucking medicine, of course he can. It's not the 1960s with Allan McGraw being given injections every week to play every week any more (on grass surfaces, no less). 

Hes 34, has had 16 years of knee injuries, and had two surgeries on the same knee. You're a fucking moron if you cant see how he'll never be able to get a surgery that rids him of that, certainly not while he wants to keep playing.

'Scientists haven't got round to disproving by garbage theory so it's definitely legit' thread for this pish. 

Scientists have found no evidence whatsoever that playing on an artificial surface is a physiological cause of injury for footballers at any level of the game. It directly follows from this that there can be no physiological reason for injury relapses on an artificial surface, seeing as there isn't any physiological difference in the first place. 

Didn't think we'd have to walk you through Logic 101 class as well, but here we are. 

Hes 34, has had 16 years of knee injuries, and had two surgeries on the same knee. You're a fucking moron if you cant see how he'll never be able to get a surgery that rids him of that, certainly not while he wants to keep playing.
Don't tennis players disprove that? Nadal would have been fucked had he done his knees ten years sooner, but he's recovered to the top level. Murray will hopefully recover after his hip resurfacing. Footballers have come back from injuries than in previous years would have been career threatening. If anything, staying off firm pitches would make some sense if the reason for his plastic pitch "exile" is the one given. After all, there are some springy artificial surfaces out there and there are some very firm grass pitches in Scotland, especially in the winter. Almost like not all plastic pitches and not all grass pitches are identical.

13 hours ago, virginton said:

'Scientists haven't got round to disproving by garbage theory so it's definitely legit' thread for this pish. 

Scientists have found no evidence whatsoever that playing on an artificial surface is a physiological cause of injury for footballers at any level of the game. It directly follows from this that there can be no physiological reason for injury relapses on an artificial surface, seeing as there isn't any physiological difference in the first place. 

Didn't think we'd have to walk you through Logic 101 class as well, but here we are. 

Again. Nothing I've said is my opinion, just what was relayed by Steven MacLean. How you've not grasped that yet is incredible.

Archived