Squad face March

23 minutes ago, Marshmallo said:

What is the point you're attempting to make here? 

Fletcher wasnt selected because of "injury issues", but played for Sheffield Wednesday after the squad announcement. 

Everyones concocting conspiracies about him picking and choosing games, whereas he could've just been told by a doctor to avoid plastic pitches and Mcleish has decided it's not worth calling him up for one game.

MacLean example was there as proof players do get told that.

• Replies 392
  • Created
  • Last Reply
You don't think some players will see Fletcher or whoever getting an easy ride and being allowed to skip a long-haul trip and not be influenced by it? 

If I saw my boss letting one guy go home an hour early every night, I'd either be livid or demanding the same rights myself. 

This isn’t really a job though. These guys are millionaires and any money they get from international football is sweetie money.

If the guy has injury problems and the main focus is his actual paid job, ie Sheff We’d, then it’s fair enough that he skips these games.

I actually think it would go the opposite way. If the other players saw that international football might put their club career at risk then they might chuck it altogether!

30 minutes ago, RandomGuy. said:

Fletcher wasnt selected because of "injury issues", but played for Sheffield Wednesday after the squad announcement. 

Everyones concocting conspiracies about him picking and choosing games, whereas he could've just been told by a doctor to avoid plastic pitches and Mcleish has decided it's not worth calling him up for one game.

MacLean example was there as proof players do get told that.

Yeah, I have some sympathy for players, as I'd imagine clubs hold a hell of a lot of sway.  If they say they don't want you to play, how many are going to go against that?

People just want to find something to be raging about.

4 hours ago, forameus said:

Yeah, I have some sympathy for players, as I'd imagine clubs hold a hell of a lot of sway.  If they say they don't want you to play, how many are going to go against that?

People just want to find something to be raging about.

Hold on - Fletcher is fit, playing and scoring for SWeds. Setting the plastic pitch debate to one side for a minute (something that's not actually been attributed to Fletcher's absence), there's really no excuse for him not coming along to San Marino. 

10 minutes ago, Gordopolis said:

Hold on - Fletcher is fit, playing and scoring for SWeds. Setting the plastic pitch debate to one side for a minute (something that's not actually been attributed to Fletcher's absence), there's really no excuse for him not coming along to San Marino. 

At which point, I expect he's had pressure put on him from the club, which is the part I have sympathy for.  There's certain players in the squad whose absence would say something different - Hiya Matt Ritchie, Hiya Pal! - but Fletcher doesn't strike me as the can't-be-arsed type.  So either he genuinely does have an issue that would stop him playing, plastic pitch or otherwise, or his club have had a word and he's shat it from them.

Or I'm wrong, and he fucking hates Scotland now, I don't know.

Just now, forameus said:

At which point, I expect he's had pressure put on him from the club, which is the part I have sympathy for.  There's certain players in the squad whose absence would say something different - Hiya Matt Ritchie, Hiya Pal! - but Fletcher doesn't strike me as the can't-be-arsed type.  So either he genuinely does have an issue that would stop him playing, plastic pitch or otherwise, or his club have had a word and he's shat it from them.

Or I'm wrong, and he fucking hates Scotland now, I don't know.

Yeah I don't think he hates playing for the NT, but it all feels a bit pathetic.

Just a bit deflated that this kind of thing seems to happen any time there's a sniff of momentum, especially with strikers (Griffiths recently, now Fletcher).

Striker-wise, rumour is that Oli McBurnie has a rampant dose of the shits, so might be pulling out. McNulty might well capitalise on that, but I wish we had one or two more strikers at least knocking on the door. How is Chris Martin these days :ph34r:?

1 minute ago, Gordopolis said:

Yeah I don't think he hates playing for the NT, but it all feels a bit pathetic.

Just a bit deflated that this kind of thing seems to happen any time there's a sniff of momentum, especially with strikers (Griffiths recently, now Fletcher).

Striker-wise, rumour is that Oli McBurnie has a rampant dose of the shits, so might be pulling out. McNulty might well capitalise on that, but I wish we had one or two more strikers at least knocking on the door. How is Chris Martin these days :ph34r:?

f**k sake Oli.  Gary Lineker shat himself on the pitch and dragged himself along like a dug, how do you expect to get better if you're not willing to go that extra mile?

I've said it elsewhere - I'm no subscriber to the moon-howlers that suggest call-offs make it clear that the players all hate McLeish...but...well it really looks like the call-offs make it clear that the players all hate McLeish.  He's had stinking luck since he came in.

2 minutes ago, forameus said:

f**k sake Oli.  Gary Lineker shat himself on the pitch and dragged himself along like a dug, how do you expect to get better if you're not willing to go that extra mile?

I've said it elsewhere - I'm no subscriber to the moon-howlers that suggest call-offs make it clear that the players all hate McLeish...but...well it really looks like the call-offs make it clear that the players all hate McLeish.  He's had stinking luck since he came in.

Come on now, Lineker only dragged his arse for a few metres - a mile's asking too much of McBurnie... so much in fact that he might call off for fear of an arse injury, or at least his club will demand he does so.

Yeah I think McLeish largely has the players' backing, but is actually doing an okay job of handling those who are still a bit lukewarm.

4 minutes ago, Gordopolis said:

Come on now, Lineker only dragged his arse for a few metres - a mile's asking too much of McBurnie... so much in fact that he might call off for fear of an arse injury, or at least his club will demand he does so.

Yeah I think McLeish largely has the players' backing, but is actually doing an okay job of handling those who are still a bit lukewarm.

It's difficult.  I've said a few times on here that I'd be well up for weeding out those that can't really be arsed and putting a hard-line down with them to see who really wants to play, yet I'm more forgiving of Fletcher.  I expect it's going to be pretty hard to tell the true motive behind call-offs, even for the boss himself.  Plus it's easy for someone like me to go all scorched Earth, but he actually has consequences to his decisions, so I imagine there's a reticence to burn any bridges.  

To be fair, from his perspective he'd probably play a bulldog in a St George's flag humming GSTQ if he got us a winner in an important match.

On 3/13/2019 at 19:10, The Moonster said:

I get that, the studies don't really support that conclusion though. Various studies have been done now and the differing conclusions they reach suggest to me that people get injured playing football and it doesn't really matter if the surface is plastic or grass, even more so now with the plastic pitches being vastly improved from when they were first introduced.

I ruptured my Acl a few years back and I don't play on astros anymore, while they may not be the cause of the injury I'm baffled that anyone can say there isn't a higher risk of re injury on them. 

From personal experience they're far worse on the knees and joints in full sided games, anyone trying to bring fives into this is a fucking moron. 

4 minutes ago, Grant228 said:

I ruptured my Acl a few years back and I don't play on astros anymore, while they may not be the cause of the injury I'm baffled that anyone can say there isn't a higher risk of re injury on them. 

From personal experience they're far worse on the knees and joints in full sided games, anyone trying to bring fives into this is a fucking moron. 

The scientific evidence on this issue is comprehensive and totally contradicts your anecdotal experience though. Anyone who chooses to ignore that are the real fucking morons in this discussion.

Yesterday I happened to use the toilet in Caffé Nero after McBurnie had just been in and it was, indeed, absolutely wretched. Properly eye-watering stuff. Doubt he'll be playing any time soon. 

With that in mind, and Fletcher's absence, I'd be tempted to stick Tierney at LB and put Robertson up front. With the constant call-offs it's important that we keep our two best players happy and having Robbo in a more attacking role is something I'm sure everyone wants to see. 

The scientific evidence on this issue is comprehensive and totally contradicts your anecdotal experience though. Anyone who chooses to ignore that are the real fucking morons in this discussion.

The science is defo not conclusive but there seems to be more evidence that their is a higher rate of injury on Astro turf.

The science is inconclusive there loads of research especially in the states that show that knee injuries increase when playing on AstroTurf (the American journal of sports medicine looked at American football players said there was a 40 per cent higher chance of knee injuries over a 5 year period)

But in saying that a simple google search shows just as much evidence the other way.

I couldn’t find any research based on sportspeople who have had a ACL and the chances of this recurring on AstroTurf as opposed to grass so I guess there hasn’t been a great amount of research in this area.

What type of artificial pitch is it? And what condition is it in? Is it near the end of its 'life cycle' or has it recently been installed? 

Shockingly, and this will be hard for some to take, they're not all the same.

3 hours ago, Grant228 said:

Calls people "fucking morons", then presents a sole bit of evidence based on a bizarre individual choice based on "personal experience".

How much worse is "far worse" on "the knees and joints"?

3 hours ago, Grant228 said:

22 minutes ago, Marshmallo said:

Calls people "fucking morons", then presents a sole bit of evidence based on a bizarre individual choice based on "personal experience".

How much worse is "far worse" on "the knees and joints"?

I think he's trying to say that in an 11 aside game the affects on knees and joints is different than in a game 5s. I've no idea why or how. 

But if you bring 5s into this you are a moron apparently.  

I better not mention the worldy singles I played on astroturf

Archived