Squad face March

1 hour ago, JamieStevenson said:

D1dOUmxXgAA-ofU.jpg

:lol: what a brutal squad we have these days

FWIW Archer has conceded 10 goals in his last 4 games, clearly a talent we cant miss out on, while McNulty seems to be there because hes had one good month for a team McLeish thinks is big.

Lewis Morgan has been at Sunderland three months and has four starts :lol:

Feel sorry for Kerr and Findlay, who are outstanding young defenders, but get ignored for Mulgrew.

• Replies 392
  • Created
  • Last Reply
5 hours ago, craigkillie said:
11 hours ago, RobbieD said:
He wasn’t playing when he got sold so don’t know how you’ve come to that conclusion 

He fell out with the manager and worked his ticket.

So he wasn’t playing then

6 minutes ago, accies1874 said:

I was happy with what would've been our first 11 a couple of weeks ago, but goalkeeper, striker and left-wing might be problem areas (against Kazakhstan, anyway).

Striker and keeper maybe but Ryan Fraser will still be at left wing I'd imagine.

Striker and keeper maybe but Ryan Fraser will still be at left wing I'd imagine.

Fraser and Paterson won’t be in Kazakhstan, allegedly due to the artificial surface but more likely because its seven hours away and either they or their club can’t be arsed with it.

4 minutes ago, Paco said:

Fraser and Paterson won’t be in Kazakhstan, allegedly due to the artificial surface but more likely because its seven hours away and either they or their club can’t be arsed with it.

Ah shit. Completely missed that.

Decent squad. Not really sure why some are saying it's the weakest for some time? From the last squad we've lost Christie to injury and McGregor to petulance, but we've got Tierney back and an on-form Burke too.

For Kazakhstan:

Bain

Tierney Bates McKenna Robertson

McTominay McGregor

Burke   Armstrong   Forrest

McBurnie

Rumours Fraser won't play on the plastic pitch over there but fortunately we have good alternatives in Forrest and Burke

For San Marino:

Bain

Palmer Bates McKenna Robertson

McTominay McGinn

Forrest Burke Fraser

McBurnie

Quite pleasing that we're forced to leave out the likes of Armstrong and McGregor for a line-up like this. Shows a bit of depth of quality in the midfield and out wide. Be good for McBurnie to bag a few goals in this one and start to shift opinion about his international credentials.

Delighted for Liam Palmer getting a call up to the national team. He’s been pish for most of the season HOWEVER has been excellent since Steve Bruce came in and has been putting in consistent performances for the team and obviously has been rewarded for that and it will give the lad an extra boost of confidence.

Steven Fletcher would certainly of been in the squad as he’s been excellent this past couple of month but he got took off injured at Derby on Saturday. 

Don't mind the squad. Sure, we're light in the goalkeeper and striker department, and I'm not entirely convinced with Barry Bannan or Kenny McLean, but it's probably about as good as we've got right now.

Marc McNulty was unexpected but I've been impressed with him in recent weeks.  His dad is also bursting with pride on social media and I find it quite endearing, strangely.

So Snodgrass has retired as well?
Where is Matt Phillips? Was he injured on Saturday?

Snodgrass is dealing with an ongoing family issue, which was quite widely publicised.

Phillips has been injured on and off for the last little while.

1 hour ago, Jeremiah Cole said:

Why are we forced to leave out Armstrong and McGregor?

Just my phrasing. I meant if we went with my suggested team it'd mean leaving those two quality players on the bench. Good problem to have.

57 minutes ago, The Moonster said:

Don't mind the squad. Sure, we're light in the goalkeeper and striker department, and I'm not entirely convinced with Barry Bannan or Kenny McLean, but it's probably about as good as we've got right now.

Marc McNulty was unexpected but I've been impressed with him in recent weeks.  His dad is also bursting with pride on social media and I find it quite endearing, strangely.

FFS I must have scanned the squad list two dozen times and I missed him every time. Him and Barry Bannan do feel like weak links tbh - neither in the same class as Armstrong, McT, McGinn or McGregor 

7 hours ago, forameus said:

And it's not like us to do that, is it?

Eh, Craig?

No, definitely not, Craig

In fact, looking back through our opening day results is fucking harrowing.  We pummeled Malta last time, and the Faroes for 2008 qualifying, and a narrow 1-0 win over Latvia for 2002 but other than that...

0-0 Serbia
0-0 Lithuania
0-1 Slovenia
1-2 Germany
0-1 Macedonia
2-2 Faroes

Fucking hell.

Exactly. Every campaign we are struggling for points in the final matches. Yet somehow it doesn't occur to Burley/Levein/Strachan that we should go all out for 3 points in the opening every game.

It's almost as if they were more interested in staying in the job until the end of the campaign than qualifying.

7 minutes ago, Detournement said:

Exactly. Every campaign we are struggling for points in the final matches. Yet somehow it doesn't occur to Burley/Levein/Strachan that we should go all out for 3 points in the opening every game.

It's almost as if they were more interested in staying in the job until the end of the campaign than qualifying.

I wouldn't imagine it was anything as sinister as that.  I think they genuinely don't see the games as must-win.  I can kind of see where they're coming from, and I suspect their message is a lot different to the players than to the general public, but given our record there's clearly something up.  

To be honest, I'd tend to discount the Malta result from the last campaign, as from memory I think we were pretty honking, and benefited from a baffling refereeing decision, and Malta generally losing their shit.  Add the narrow win against Latvia, and you're looking at one good result in 9 campaigns.

It actually reminds me a bit of that Serbia/Macedonia double header Levein had where we drew twice.  Winnable games on paper, and put us off to a terrible start.  Kazakhstan and San Marino are a step down from them - if we don't get 6 here, then we're not out of it, but we essentially then need full points from everyone but Belgium (and probably at least 3 from those).

So let's just win, aye?

Archived