St Johnstone v Aberdeen, Saturday 23rd February 2019

Fair post and good to see Kane getting a bit of sympathy from opposition fans, he’s the main victim of the boo boys just now. 
Regarding GMS, never like to see a player booed when they’re injured, but Saints fans have heightened feelings towards the Dundee United Cup Final team, and it’s mostly pantomime and not malicious. 
The more offensive thing for me were the clowns booing Stevie May on. Short memories.

Cheers Mate [emoji106]

Opinions change when you are actually at the game.

I was in fear every time you had a corner or brek in that first half. Personally, I thought Kane (admittedly without a clear cut chance) was excellent and your biggest danger. We got lucky with a couple of decisions in and around the box involving him. Can’t believe he’s getting stick from your support.

• Replies 216
  • Created
  • Last Reply
2 hours ago, ali_91 said:

Fair post and good to see Kane getting a bit of sympathy from opposition fans, he’s the main victim of the boo boys just now. 

Rightly so if he's played as a lone striker in front of five. Finding space and being an irritant is great and helpful but he needs someone ahead of him to play a pass to or to run into the space he's making. He is not "complete" enough to play up there on his own and Wright is doing him no favours by continuing with this.

Rightly so if he's played as a lone striker in front of five. Finding space and being an irritant is great and helpful but he needs someone ahead of him to play a pass to or to run into the space he's making. He is not "complete" enough to play up there on his own and Wright is doing him no favours by continuing with this.

Interesting to get the view of those who see him regularly. Admittedly it was mainly 1st half as I was in the West Stand, but thought he was very good.

2 hours ago, ali_91 said:

The more offensive thing for me were the clowns booing Stevie May on. Short memories.

f**k right off with this pish Ali. He played for Saints, he doesn't anymore. I'd happily punch his puss if he managed to do something that fucked Saints over in some way, problem is the boys not capable.

7 hours ago, Stelling said:

Exactly this. Watt, who I believe was signed as a finisher and who our manager has publicly said needs to get into the penalty box more, does a similar job in some ways, but Tony has better touch and strengh on ball. At one point yesterday there were 4 Aberdeen players trying to get the ball off him and he still came out the other side and found a bit of space. We see him do this all the time. Problem is, nothing much happens after that.

In a nutshell we have strikers that cannot finish despite them having other positive attributes and recently their chances to chnage that have dried up. The endangered species 'the St Johnstone goal' comes from midfield or occasionally defence. 

What I noticed yesterday was that Matty Kennedy has gone back to trying to do too much himself and turning the ball over, which was a criticism when he first joined us. I think that this is a sign that he's not quite got the same trust in the players around him that he did before Christmas and that he's not getting the same passing options with this more defensive setup. 

And while I'm rambling on, Cammy Bell really wound me up yesterday by being so slow to get the ball out from the back. Zander is much, much more dynamic with his distribution and is superb at the quick throw that catches the opposition off guard. Even at 1-0 down when we were still in it, he seems ponderous and lacking in vision with his distribution. He's also noticably quieter than Clarke. I really hope we don't have to rely on him much longer. 

2 hours ago, Valentino Bolognese said:

What I noticed yesterday was that Matty Kennedy has gone back to trying to do too much himself and turning the ball over, which was a criticism when he first joined us. I think that this is a sign that he's not quite got the same trust in the players around him that he did before Christmas and that he's not getting the same passing options with this more defensive setup. 

We were saying this yesterday as well.  Feel there is a lack of creative players in that starting line up which probably led to him trying to do too much at times.  Despite this, he's by far our main attacking threat just now so I feel whatever team we select should be taking into account how to get the most out of him.

It was quite a solid line up, as shown at Ibrox, and but for two careless mistakes we probably would have kept it at 0-0 quite comfortably.  After the first goal we struggled for a while and then pushed Kennedy up alongside Kane; but a midfield four of Davidson, Goss, and two off-form wide players in Wotherspoon and Craig isn't offering a lot of pace, support, ability to go past a player or much in the way of opening up opportunities for the front players.

If the manager changed the Ibrox team and we still lost yesterday, he'd have been criticised. Basically, you can't win, unless you do, actually, win.

The reality is we lost the game yesterday because we made a couple of mistakes that let Aberdeen in for the first goal. The manager tried to change the shape to make it more positive then made attacking changes but that left us vulnerable on the break. Unfortunate that it's another mistake that leads to the second goal rather than forcing Aberdeen to cut us open and it's climbing a mountain stuff after that against a good team. 

Feel the reaction, even amongst a more measured group on here, has been excessive but exacerbated by the current run of results. Aside from the scoreline, I actually enjoyed the match and Jason Kerr was a pleasure to watch in action. That for me was enough yesterday and I was going to say I think if it came after a good spell then fans would be more philosophical, but then I remember the reaction to the Motherwell match at home, for example! It's been reading the post-match comments on social media and forums that has drained me more than anything Saints did! 

Folk get too caught up in runs of form (good and bad) in my opinion. Serious criticism or praise should be reserved for May.

If our fixture list had been ordered differently, I’m guessing that the reaction wouldn’t have been quite so negative after defeats against Hearts, Celtic x 3, Rangers and Aberdeen. It’s just unfortunate that we’ve had to play the strongest teams consecutively. We’ll get back on track against the diddies.

4 minutes ago, The Real Saints said:

If our fixture list had been ordered differently, I’m guessing that the reaction wouldn’t have been quite so negative after defeats against Hearts, Celtic x 3, Rangers and Aberdeen. It’s just unfortunate that we’ve had to play the strongest teams consecutively. We’ll get back on track against the diddies.

Its performances more than results that's worrying me, tbh. Against Hamilton and Aberdeen everyone looked clueless about creating chances, I can accept we'll lose games like those over the course of a season, but the fact we're at the stage of talking about how it could've easily been a 0-0 game when we're losing probably says it all.

16 minutes ago, RandomGuy. said:
Its performances more than results that's worrying me, tbh. Against Hamilton and Aberdeen everyone looked clueless about creating chances, I can accept we'll lose games like those over the course of a season, but the fact we're at the stage of talking about how it could've easily been a 0-0 game when we're losing probably says it all.

I agree with Radford in thinking that we didn’t actually play too badly yesterday. But yeah, regardless of opposition, one goal in seven matches is concerning (and our struggle to get shots on target even more so). This season, in recruiting younger players with a bit more technical ability, I feel like we’ve also sacrificed a fair amount of the know-how/streetwise qualities we’ve become known for in recent years. It’s difficult to balance those things. In recent seasons, we’ve been a tough nut to crack against the stronger teams. Unfortunately that hasn’t continued into this campaign. But on the other hand, we have arguably looked more threatening and generally more impressive against the lesser teams than in previous seasons. Hopefully the Hamilton performance was a one-off.

Disagree about creating chances yesterday. We’ve had three clear chances before Aberdeen scored the first. Beyond that only a brilliant tackle by Shinnie prevented Kane getting a shot away one on one with the keeper and we hit the post after the break, albeit with a deflection. I actually thought yesterday was a lesson in taking your chances-Aberdeen’s two goals came from opportunities far less clear cut than the ones we passed up.

12 minutes ago, The Real Saints said:

I agree with Radford in thinking that we didn’t actually play too badly yesterday. But yeah, regardless of opposition, one goal in seven matches is concerning (and our struggle to get shots on target even more so). This season, in recruiting younger players with a bit more technical ability, I feel like we’ve also sacrificed a fair amount of the know-how/streetwise qualities we’ve become known for in recent years. It’s difficult to balance those things. In recent seasons, we’ve been a tough nut to crack against the stronger teams. Unfortunately that hasn’t continued into this campaign. But on the other hand, we have arguably looked more threatening and generally more impressive against the lesser teams than in previous seasons. Hopefully the Hamilton performance was a one-off.

I don't think that fans are being overly negative when we've scored 1 goal in 7 games,(noting who we've played of course) but I also don't hear folk running around in a panic. Then again I don't bother with social media, I can well imagine that it's much worse. 

But, there's things that are defintely not right, such as not having much quality up front, being soft in midfield and nothing much being offered on the wings.  Oh, and Foster.  I'm sure folks are getting rattled becuase we don't seem to be making any progress in these areas and, frankly, top 6 matters. On the pitch yesterday the players themselves were visibly frustrated - Muzz having a hissy fit and Watt/Kennedy arguing with each other. It's not just the fans. 

Agree that at sense of perspective is needed and this was always going to be a tough transition year. It doesn't help that Drey Wright has been out all season given how involved he was in the early season performances, MOH hasn't really been involved much and Swanson's disappointed so far. 

Probably just swings and roundabouts and there's been some highlights and I don't think it's relating to a lack of effort or ambition. 

Having said all that I do want to see changes for Hibs. Don't care if it's a loss as long as there's evidence that we're trying to fix things and not sticking with players who are not right for the job for the sake of consistency at all costs. 

6 hours ago, Radford said:

If the manager changed the Ibrox team and we still lost yesterday, he'd have been criticised. Basically, you can't win, unless you do, actually, win.

The reality is we lost the game yesterday because we made a couple of mistakes that let Aberdeen in for the first goal. The manager tried to change the shape to make it more positive then made attacking changes but that left us vulnerable on the break. Unfortunate that it's another mistake that leads to the second goal rather than forcing Aberdeen to cut us open and it's climbing a mountain stuff after that against a good team. 

Feel the reaction, even amongst a more measured group on here, has been excessive but exacerbated by the current run of results. Aside from the scoreline, I actually enjoyed the match and Jason Kerr was a pleasure to watch in action. That for me was enough yesterday and I was going to say I think if it came after a good spell then fans would be more philosophical, but then I remember the reaction to the Motherwell match at home, for example! It's been reading the post-match comments on social media and forums that has drained me more than anything Saints did! 

Folk get too caught up in runs of form (good and bad) in my opinion. Serious criticism or praise should be reserved for May.

Funny how much we all see a game differently!

I described the game as 'dreadful' I think.  I should have qualified it in saying it was intriguing and got the crowd involved with a bit of niggle, which gave a bit of an entertainment factor, but overall I stand by what I said.

The football on display was terrible by both teams for much of the match. Players passing simple passes out the park, slicing clearances way into the air, and often looking like a bunch of strangers that had just got together for a kick about.  Folk are going to come back saying it's the Scottish Premiership, not la liga etc, but that match was just littered with unforced error after error.

Aberdeen did show a couple of moments of good play in the second half, possibly helped by us opening up as we chased an equaliser, but overall the standard of play was pretty shite.

Agree with you about watching Jason Kerr though, yet again he was excellent.

I had to make to do with 'Open All Mikes' on Saturday, but they kept saying both sides contributed to a very open and meaty game of football.

YouTube highlights suggest a match that could have gone either way, with our (beautiful) first goal coming completely against the direction of traffic.   First goal can be everything in this league - the December match at Pittodrie was an awful spectacle, then up popped Joe S late on and it was effectively game over.

Sounds like Dom Ball performed well at RB, but even in the highlights, there's a couple of moments where you could see we will not get away that for the rest of the season.

So much now rides on Sunday............please turn up AFC.

Archived