Celtic v Motherwell

• Replies 440
  • Created
  • Last Reply
1 minute ago, Desp said:

This is amazing.  You do get the feeling there will be some in the Celtic support happy about all of this.

As I said earlier, with Celtic being the dominant, establishment club these days, some will be happy they've been thrown a bone with this.  A chance to play the hard done by card.  Poor wee victims once more.

For a club who are on course to win their third consecutive domestic treble, this is some going. 

A Club Like No Other, indeed... :whistle

Nope, think you'll find the majority of Celtic fans don't want our team to go down this road. I think the majority of Celtic fans would have preferred you scum bags not to do it yesterday.

We won the game, never really looked in doubt, playing the victims of what? winning 4 v 1. I'll hope we're the victims of that every week.

15 minutes ago, RPHG said:

Nope, think you'll find the majority of Celtic fans don't want our team to go down this road. I think the majority of Celtic fans would have preferred you scum bags not to do it yesterday.

We won the game, never really looked in doubt, playing the victims of what? winning 4 v 1. I'll hope we're the victims of that every week.

Oh no, you've hurt my feelings now.

Quick question, how would you describe fans who cheer when a player is being stretchered off after suffering a serious head injury?

Apologies if that was your point.
I completely agree it was nothing to do with them trying it again (most of the drop balls were in the Motherwell half if I remember correctly), defo just a case of f**k them, and I'd imagine it'll be this way against them from now on.
How many drop balls actually occurred after the Motherwell goal ? The way it's being portrayed there must have been a fair few.

9 hours ago, GordonS said:

It wasn't hilarious, it was emblematic of the low values in football that regards shithousery as admirable. I want Celtic to lose every game they play (OF games excepted), but that doesn't blind me to the fact that this was pathetic. First we had genuine sportsmanship; then we had a win-at-all-costs mentality; and now we enjoy poor behaviour just because others find it annoying.

Personally I like my sport to come with a bit of decency and respect. You may think it makes you one of the cool kids to sneer at that, but you're just another small part of football's problems.

And ethics aside, let's consider the consequences; next time a Motherwell player is down injured, will their opponents put the ball out? 

Sorry it's not the 19th century any more Gordo m8

4 minutes ago, Desp said:

Oh no, you've hurt my feelings now.

Quick question, how would you describe fans who cheer when a player is being stretchered off after suffering a serious head injury?

I'm not trying to hurt your feelings or anyone elses for that matter, it was scum bag behaviour, you know it I know it.

I'm not sure anyone in the stadium knew what was wrong with the lad on the deck, I certainly didn't, did you?

To answer the other guys question, I think there were 3 drop balls after the Motherwell 'goal' 

10 hours ago, Busta Nut said:

It was labelled, I know I am a mug for buying it but it was all they had left and I decided late on I was going.

My point being that is still a fucking joke.

The print on the ticket might be Celtic's way out, I'd still complain if it was me, reading here it's not something Motherwel fans have a problem doing, complaining that is:lol:

1 hour ago, The OP said:

If any team other than Celtic (or Rangers) were on the receiving end of this Motherwell would be getting a lot less benefit of the doubt. That much is clear. 

This?

Why are fans of Motherwell and other clubs so triggered by this, from it was great he did it as it was Celtic, to the boy obviously did not know what he was doing, lol

Motherwell and the lad should just admit they were wrong, no real harm was done as it was a routine win by a big spending club over a wee spending club. The way it is now is etiquette amongst clubs is "confused"

6 minutes ago, RPHG said:

I'm not sure anyone in the stadium knew what was wrong with the lad on the deck, I certainly didn't, did you?

I mean, seriously?  You didn't have a wee clue something wasn't quite right when there were multiple people tending to him for a sustained period of time, before being very carefully stretched off?

I've seen plenty of players being stretchered off over the years, and you get an idea of how bad something is depending on the length of time it takes to remove the player from the pitch.

That you're attempting to defend these fans (can we call these guys scum bags, too?) speaks volumes and proves other posters points that a huge number of Celtic fans can't bring themselves to criticise their fellow supporters, despite what overwhelming evidence is given to them.

6 minutes ago, LordHawHaw said:

Motherwell and the lad should just admit they were wrong

They did.  The manager of the football club apologised to Celtic's manager for it.

You probably missed it though, given the faux outrage from Brendan regarding class & ethics.

7 minutes ago, Desp said:

I mean, seriously?  You didn't have a wee clue something wasn't quite right when there were multiple people tending to him for a sustained period of time, before being very carefully stretched off?

I've seen plenty of players being stretchered off over the years, and you get an idea of how bad something is depending on the length of time it takes to remove the player from the pitch.

That you're attempting to defend these fans (can we call these guys scum bags, too?) speaks volumes and proves other posters points that a huge number of Celtic fans can't bring themselves to criticise their fellow supporters, despite what overwhelming evidence is given to them.

They did.  The manager of the football club apologised to Celtic's manager for it.

You probably missed it though, given the faux outrage from Brendan regarding class & ethics.

I sit at the opposite end of the ground from them and have no part in anything they do, on the same note most of what they do adds to the atmosphere etc. If you want me to call them scum bags then, yep if they were cheering (which they were not) due to a player being stretchered off with a serious head injury then yep they are scumbags. For the record, you can call them what you want.

Does this in anyway change what your scum bag team done ..... no. I'd suggest the 'faux' outrage is anything but, I'm pretty sure your outrage had the shoe been on the other foot would be very real.

Apologised to Brendan Rodgers haha you're a comic, do the right thing, that's what should have been done. Don't tell us the lad is a 'baby' and didn't know what he was doing, give us peace! 

1 hour ago, RPHG said:

scum baggery

1 hour ago, RPHG said:

scum baggery

45 minutes ago, RPHG said:

scum bags

21 minutes ago, RPHG said:

scum bag

1 minute ago, RPHG said:

scumbags

#Scumbag

21 minutes ago, RPHG said:

I'm not trying to hurt your feelings or anyone elses for that matter, it was scum bag behaviour, you know it I know it.

To answer the other guys question, I think there were 3 drop balls after the Motherwell 'goal' 

I didnt either. Think they even even came on with the wrong type of stretcher for him as they went off and on again. I just presumed he thought he was going to hobble off when they binned it. Did find it amusing in the standing section when they lifted it up and were doing path finder song and movement, Had no idea it was a head knock though.

Whole game from the shitebaggery onwards made it a wired occasion I didnt want to take my eyes off.

1 hour ago, Al B said:

I don't even think he made a mistake in terms of judging whether he should do it or not. I just don't think he's got the slightest clue what's going on or that it was a "giving the ball back" situation. You can actually see him looking up wondering why no-one's chasing him.

Not a chance he thinks that's anything other than a normal throw-in at the time.

To be fair, having watched it back a few times I do think he's just had a massive lapse in concentration and doesn't really realise what he's done until the shot is taken.

It doesn't make it acceptable and it's not a classy move, but I think given the age of the guy and the fact that it was his first game in front of a crowd that size (feel free to correct me if that's not the case) that it can be forgiven. 

I do find it amusing that the usual posters are accusing Celtic fans of losing it when they themselves have lost their heads in this thread. 

2 minutes ago, S7C said:

To be fair, having watched it back a few times I do think he's just had a massive lapse in concentration and doesn't really realise what he's done until the shot is taken.

It doesn't make it acceptable and it's not a classy move, but I think given the age of the guy and the fact that it was his first game in front of a crowd that size (feel free to correct me if that's not the case) that it can be forgiven. 

I do find it amusing that the usual posters are accusing Celtic fans of losing it when they themselves have lost their heads in this thread. 

I disagree, I don't even think he realises Celtic put the ball out, I'm 100% convinced that as far as he's aware, it's a normal throw-in. You can almost hear his thought process:

"Why's no-one chasing me?"

"The ref hasn't blown a whistle"

I'll get my baws toed if I don't play to the whistle".

7 minutes ago, gannonball said:

Whole game from the shitebaggery onwards made it a wired occasion I didnt want to take my eyes off.

Aye agreed, the usual apathetic home support were making some noise for a change!

I shout my mouth off regardless, was good to have some company.

54 minutes ago, RPHG said:

I sit at the opposite end of the ground from them and have no part in anything they do, on the same note most of what they do adds to the atmosphere etc. If you want me to call them scum bags then, yep if they were cheering (which they were not) due to a player being stretchered off with a serious head injury then yep they are scumbags. For the record, you can call them what you want.

Does this in anyway change what your scum bag team done ..... no. I'd suggest the 'faux' outrage is anything but, I'm pretty sure your outrage had the shoe been on the other foot would be very real.

Apologised to Brendan Rodgers haha you're a comic, do the right thing, that's what should have been done. Don't tell us the lad is a 'baby' and didn't know what he was doing, give us peace! 

Who's them?  If you say "they" were not cheering (there's plenty of videos on Twitter to confirm you're incorrect), who are you referring to then?  I certainly never specified an area or group of fans.

If it's the GB, then one of the videos I watched was from the opposite corner from where they sit.  Which, by your admission, is your end of the ground.

So, you're denying fans were cheering (where's the evidence to the contrary) and are you also denying Stephen Robinson apologised to the Celtic manager (a story verified by both parties)?  Strange behaviour.

46 minutes ago, S7C said:

I think this is a fair summary (the first two paragraphs anyway).  Having re-watched it a few times, you can clearly see for the first couple of seconds, he hasn't a clue why everyone around him has stopped and he's gone onto "play to the whistle" mode.  Of course, with the benefit of hindsight, it's something he shouldn't have done and he'll learn from it.  Still, nice of Brendan Rodgers to publicly throw an 18-year-old opposition player under the bus (that guy with all the class and ethics, of course).

Only thing I dislike of your post is the lazy patter of posters "losing it".  I don't think anyone has.  I very much doubt people are at their keyboards/phones a seething mess as they type.  It adds nothing to the debate.  People can have a difference of opinion without all that lazy shite getting thrown about.

6 minutes ago, Desp said:

Who's them?  If you say "they" were not cheering (there's plenty of videos on Twitter to confirm you're incorrect), who are you referring to then?  I certainly never specified an area or group of fans.

If it's the GB, then one of the videos I watched was from the opposite corner from where they sit.  Which, by your admission, is your end of the ground.

So, you're denying fans were cheering (where's the evidence to the contrary) and are you also denying Stephen Robinson apologised to the Celtic manager (a story verified by both parties)?  Strange behaviour.

I think this is a fair summary (the first two paragraphs anyway).  Having re-watched it a few times, you can clearly see for the first couple of seconds, he hasn't a clue why everyone around him has stopped and he's gone onto "play to the whistle" mode.  Of course, with the benefit of hindsight, it's something he shouldn't have done and he'll learn from it.  Still, nice of Brendan Rodgers to publicly throw an 18-year-old opposition player under the bus (that guy with all of class and ethics, of course).

Only thing I dislike of your post is the lazy patter of posters "losing it".  I don't think anyone has.  I very much doubt people are at their keyboards/phones a seething mess as they type.  It adds nothing to the debate.  People can have a difference of opinion without all that lazy shite getting thrown about.

The 'them' I refer to is the GB. They were singing a song not cheering, I was no part of it as I sit at the other end of the stadium as stated.

I never said he lied about apologising, but lets be honest it's a token bull shit gesture after the horse has bolted. If he did actually condemn the actions of his own team he'd have put it right, he chose not to do this.

I just want to add, I thought Motherwell were good on the ball yesterday without offering much in the way of chances and the incident (as wrong as it was) made for an excellent atmoshpere in the second half.

Wasn't at the game, but after watching back just over a hour of it, this wasn't your average 4-1 doing at Celtic Park.

Given I wasn't there or watching it live, so to be honest I'm pretty nonplussed on it all.  It ended in a convincing victory for Celtic, an expected defeat for ourselves and we move on to Wednesday night.

Of course it's not in line with the ethics of the game, but at the same time there's no rules that have been broken in the way that the goal was scored. There's so many of examples of managers and coaches urging a player to go down on the park so they can avoid the scenario of being a man down for a period of time while the player receives treatment. That team put the ball out and play stops, much to the frustration of the opposition.  Maybe that's a rule worth looking into?

Overall, aye it wasn't great, but the hysterical reaction and seethe is top notch. 

Archived