Smallest Support In SPFL

• Replies 82
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Spectators cannot pay for admission at the table in the reception area at Hampden.  People arriving at the main entrance, asking how to gain admission, are directed to the turnstiles.
They can. A non member friend of mine does it every game he attends so that he can sit in the comfy seats with his friends who are members/season ticket holders. Why he doesn't get a season ticket I don't know. I'm sure it's not encouraged, but he has never been turned away at the table in the main concourse. It's probably the reason there are often a few away fans in that area too (though some are obviously friends an family of opposition players)

56 minutes ago, Ben Reilly said:
2 hours ago, I Zingari said:
Spectators cannot pay for admission at the table in the reception area at Hampden.  People arriving at the main entrance, asking how to gain admission, are directed to the turnstiles.

They can. A non member friend of mine does it every game he attends so that he can sit in the comfy seats with his friends who are members/season ticket holders. Why he doesn't get a season ticket I don't know. I'm sure it's not encouraged, but he has never been turned away at the table in the main concourse. It's probably the reason there are often a few away fans in that area too (though some are obviously friends an family of opposition players)

He would qualify as a Guest of a Member probably. Anyone just bowling in alone would likely be redirected. Although these days we seem to be just loving everyone :)

1 hour ago, Glenconner said:

Is an average of 564 at Queens Park that bad considering the success part of the Queens story is about 5 generations ago?

It's what it is Glenconner in truth. As a travelling fan I often see QP fans nearly matching the hosts for numbers and I wonder how they all survive. 

I had a link (and lost it) which showed fixtures and attendances for the seventies and they weren't as much as most fans would remember. This page from Wiki draws a picture though...row 33 is the first time a "highest" gate is show in this century. And even then it had to involve on OF team.  Run your eyes down the Opponents column.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Scottish_football_attendance_records

1 hour ago, Ben Reilly said:
2 hours ago, I Zingari said:

Often wondered about QP and their members what is the criteria for a Queen's fan becoming a member?

He would qualify as a Guest of a Member probably. Anyone just bowling in alone would likely be redirected. Although these days we seem to be just loving everyone [emoji4]
Given the title of this thread, I think it's fair to say that not many clubs in the lower leagues, or in fact not many clubs out with the old firm, are in a position where they can afford not to be 'just loving everyone'. Getting more folks through the turnstiles (or past the table in reception[emoji6]) must be a priority for all clubs, but for reasons posted on here already, that is getting increasingly more difficult. As you know I've commented on the issue of fan engagement before on the QP thread, and I like the suggestion posted on this thread previously of the Queens committee looking at delegating some folks with different backgrouds to look at this specific subject. I don't know whether that is a something on their radar with the other current challenges they face but I would argue that it needs to be considered as part of that big picture.

Often wondered about QP and their members what is the criteria for a Queen's fan becoming a member?
I'm a Queens season ticket holder, and I had to ask the exact same question on here recently. The club do very little to promote and advertise membership, which seems crazy to me as it must be a significant source of income. Others on here may answer your question better, but my understanding is that there is no real criteria, you just need to apply, and be proposed and seconded by existing members. There is obviously a membership fee too, and like a season ticket it covers the cost of all home matches (including cup games).

1 minute ago, Ben Reilly said:
17 minutes ago, cowdenbeath said:

I'm a Queens season ticket holder, and I had to ask the exact same question on here recently. The club do very little to promote and advertise membership, which seems crazy to me as it must be a significant source of income. Others on here may answer your question better, but my understanding is that there is no real criteria, you just need to apply, and be proposed and seconded by existing members. There is obviously a membership fee too, and like a season ticket it covers the cost of all home matches (including cup games).

Cheers reckoned it was some sort of upgraded season ticket type thing. Getting in seems like you need a funny handshake:lol:

Cheers reckoned it was some sort of upgraded season ticket type thing. Getting in seems like you need a funny handshake[emoji38]
More than just a season ticket though, as members are like the clubs board, and so they can attend and vote at the agm and other meetings. The committee is appointed from within the membership and they are delegated authority to deal with the day to day running of the club. Much like a golf/bowling/social club setup. As I said, I am sketchy on the details, so others may correct anything I've got wrong.

1 hour ago, cowdenbeath said:

My old man had a whizz idea in the late 1940s and became a Queens Park member (not sure if season ticket holder and member was the same thing back then)  for about three seasons. The plan being you'd get first chance at a Wembley ticket. Think he admitted giving up with the nearest he got to the Wembley was two blaws at a ragman's trumpet. Think the magic circle saw through passing chancers even back then. Get the impression the average Queens fan is never getting near a consultancy role at the club. It's not a dig but some us still remember the tax payers money flying about during the Hampden rebuild. Didn't a Queens Park committee man walk away with a couple of million?  Come and watch the Queens if you want but don't get any fancy ideas.

1 hour ago, cowdenbeath said:
Cheers reckoned it was some sort of upgraded season ticket type thing. Getting in seems like you need a funny handshakeemoji38.png

More than just a season ticket though, as members are like the clubs board, and so they can attend and vote at the agm and other meetings. The committee is appointed from within the membership and they are delegated authority to deal with the day to day running of the club. Much like a golf/bowling/social club setup. As I said, I am sketchy on the details, so others may correct anything I've got wrong.

That's more or less it.  If a clown like me can be a member then anybody can. All you need to do is fill out a form and get proposed and seconded by two current members. I've done that for people I don't even know that well. Always loads of us willing to do it for any supporter who wants to join 

The members elect the committee and any supporter that becomes a member can stand for election. The guy that ran our supporters' bus last season is now on the committee for example . It costs around £250 a season and that gets you into all the home games no matter the competition plus a say in how the club is run.   You don't have to sit with the comfy seat brigade either, most members I know just sit in with the rest of the crowd

21 minutes ago, Glenconner said:

Think the magic circle saw through passing chancers even back then. 

There has been more than a few chancers who have ended up on the committee, never mind become members

Must a strange set up being a small club playing in a major stadium. Must be similar at Clyde although in a smaller scale. Trying to think what a supporter would be ever be asked to do at somewhere like Clyde or Queens Park. Maybe sell the programme or man the two or three gates? A mate of mine works for some dodgy security/cleaning outfit that has a contract at Hampden and i asked recently about Queens Park games. Needless to say his first answer was "Who" followed by "oh aye the football team" I'll grass some poor sod up at this point and say he found empty Buckfast bottles during a Sunday shift although he did admit that might be some of the cleaning staff. Queens Park fans drinking Bucky!!! Nah even i don't wear that one.

45 minutes ago, Glenconner said:

Must a strange set up being a small club playing in a major stadium. Must be similar at Clyde although in a smaller scale. Trying to think what a supporter would be ever be asked to do at somewhere like Clyde or Queens Park. Maybe sell the programme or man the two or three gates? A mate of mine works for some dodgy security/cleaning outfit that has a contract at Hampden and i asked recently about Queens Park games. Needless to say his first answer was "Who" followed by "oh aye the football team" I'll grass some poor sod up at this point and say he found empty Buckfast bottles during a Sunday shift although he did admit that might be some of the cleaning staff. Queens Park fans drinking Bucky!!! Nah even i don't wear that one.

Must have been after a Clyde game. Ever wondered where that road goes to under the main stand....

image.jpeg.d7b6832f31b0741beca32e5f663dbc40.jpeg

2 minutes ago, big al said:

564?

there was 404 v Cowden recently so about 350 home fans.

It that bad? The day of the Old Firm on 29th December Albion Rovers got 145 in v Berwick Rangers. The same day i went along to Rutherglen Glencairn at home and about 70 turned up.

1 hour ago, an86 said:

^struggling with what the word "average" means. 

Just a big percentage difference, must have been getting at least 50% more than the 404 earlier in the season. 

know fully well what average means, but cheers for checking.

Just a big percentage difference, must have been getting at least 50% more than the 404 earlier in the season. 
know fully well what average means, but cheers for checking.

Cowden are not a team to get the juices flowing in Glasgow, it would seem.

Archived