Arbroath v Airdrie

Completely agree new players are scrutinised and need time to settle etc but just don’t understand why dc tried/trying to fix something that wasn’t broken. Not saying he would try and harm the team but regardless of scrapping points and Raith doing us favours when needed he’s not utilising all our avenues within the team. Forgot what McCord, Wallace or Stevie even look like. Who knows Doris may even be sharp again? He certainly looked in good shape warming up, but we wouldn’t know... 
We have been scraping by winning games recently not flying high scoring goals for fun like the first half of the season (yes still 16 points clear - which I’m over the moon with) but always think we should strive to be better especially for possibility looming closer of championship football. Same predictable subs, I think it needs shaken up a bit. 

Agree with this but leagues are very hard to win, further you get into the season the more pressure you find yourself in.

Start of season we were racking up the goals but as the season has gone in attitudes from the teams we've been playing against have changed because we have become the team to beat... teams sit in and try to frustrate us a lot.

We've also found ourself in a position where results mean so much more than performances. We got ourself into an incredible position so each game is just win at all costs. Start of the season everyone was finding their feet, pressure was off us and we could play with more freedom

It was working great the way the team was with McKenna and Wallace but who's to say that would've kept up the whole season? Could've easily have stopped, form could've dipped, injuries etc. Needed new players to come in incase that happened and mixing up the team whilst still winning shows that we have more to us

Some weeks I don't think we've been great at all and worry a bit about what we'd be like if we went up.... then a performance like last weeks in Kirkcaldy happens where we turn up when it matters and look incredibly organised and well drilled and then it reminds you that DC and the management know exactly what they're doing

The problems and things we are talking about here just show how well we're doing. Debating about what one of our really good players should be playing over our other really good players...

• Replies 161
  • Created
  • Last Reply

A few observations on yesterday.

What a huge asset Darren Jamieson has proved. A couple of excellent saves, and exudes confidence and solidity. The supporters appreciate his contribution but it doesn’t always receive the primary attention Huge distance from his kick outs too though, like most keepers at Gayfield, struggles kicking into the wind.

To be fair, Hutton had a decent game too. It’s a sign of a decent game when both keepers are fairly busy, including great saves. Too many games you see around don’t push keepers into action.

Noted Iain Murray’s discussion/confrontation on the pitch with the officials at the end. I assume he was asking how on earth his team finished the game (even first half) with 11 players. Some of these challenges seemed more than reckless. Always had a reputation as being ‘tough’ although they can clearly play a bit. The first penalty was stonewall. The second looked a trip but couldn’t properly see/assess it.

We could do with our other strikers - now a lengthening list - taking their chances instead of relying on Linn and defenders to bail us out all the time in terms of scoring. Poor misses from Spence and Denholm yesterday.

Finally, have to agree with Dick in his interview (or he with me). This was a critical game in the follow up from the good result at Kirkcaldy - and we’ve often tripped up in such situations. Getting any kind of result in Methil on Tuesday would be even better

I can understand Iain Murray being concerned by the penalties. He should be embarrassed however by the thug like tackles from his players. The number 6 clearly went out to injure Bobby Linn, the league’s best player. Injuring himself in the process was justice .Airdrie could easily have been down to 10 or even 9 men long before the end.

It's very pleasing that after months of discussions, I don't need really need to argue my case to people anymore as it appears they've come around to viewing things how I have for most of the season. A huge welcome to the Ryan Wallace Supporters Club to biglichtie, someone who has spent months in denial of his Waldo love and after a few weeks of no starts for Waldo has finally seen the light. There's no need to fight it anymore, join us and be part of the Waldo love in, we're all inclusive over here ;) 

I'm absolutely delighted with the win yesterday, the sort of games we always struggle in, and a huge 3 points after last weeks game. If we can take 4 points from 6 out of East Fife and Dumbarton we'll be on the cusp of clinching it, outstanding stuff. Although it wasn't overly pretty at times yesterday, a win is a win and grinding out wins is just as important as dominating teams and winning 'pretty' as it were.

However, and it's obviously been touched on by a few people, I would ask does anyone think we were going to score from open play yesterday? Very similar to the Brechin at home game where we looked toothless up top until we bought Pongo/ Wallace on, likewise against Stranraer where outside of the usual Bobby Linn goal we didn't look up to much in the final third. I feel like the free kick/ penalties we got and scored in some way covers the cracks up top, with McKenna simply not a goalscorer in any way, shape and form and Spence not on form currently. I think Greig Spence will prove to be a good signing for us, and I do think he'll score goals, but we all know Ryan Wallace would never fail to score/ miss 5/6/7 good chances in 3 games in a row. Why? Because he'd never get the opportunity, he'd be straight out the team after 1, absolute max 2, games without a goal and a couple of chances missed. Spence is being treated completely differently from Wallace, which considering Spence has a poor record this season and Wallace has a superb one, seems quite baffling to me. The goal threat he offers in comparison to  the other strikers is blindingly obvious and was shown clearly in the 15 minutes he got on the park today; he had more shots on the goal/ created more chances for others than McKenna or Spence did in 75 minutes.

Regardless of the above, at the end of the day we are Arbroath FC and not Ryan Wallace FC. Quite clearly I'd prefer to see us give ourselves the best chance of winning games/ scoring goals by playing Waldo, but more important than anything else I want to see Arbroath FC win games of football, which we did yesterday, and that's more important than any discussions about who starts/ who plays/ subs etc etc.

Would also add the David Gold foul/ penalty claim did not seem like a penalty to me from behind the goal, and Airdrie really are fucking dirty c***s at times. I've not seen a game with 3/4 fouls as dirty/ cynical as that this season, with Airdrie very lucky to keep 11 men on the park. The foul on Hammy 5 minutes or so in could easily have been a red, and maybe would have been had the game been further in. Also the one on Bobby when he was away was obviously a 'take one for the team' foul which is fair enough and part of the game, but there's taking one for the team and just smashing into someone when the ball is 10 yards away, very cynical and verging on a red card also for me.

Wallace’s link up and hold up play when he come on helped us see out the game,  Spence fought well but he is a penalty box striker and will score goals, Just needs a wee break, When Spence was signed I expected to see McKenna start on the wing but Goldie has fully warranty his place, 

I do think again Swanks needs a wee rest and you could have McKenna or McCord in his place, I think he has had a great season but been off his standards the last few weeks, 

Donnelly done ok when he come on and he deserves a chance to show what he has got to offer, but that is most likely to end Doris’s lichtie career, Hoepfullu he doesn’t end up at a Angus rival 

steady simon at times wallace still infuriates me but my main point is the inconsistency from dc selection of strikers how many chances will spence get from dc again how does that effect the confidence of wallace doris etc. agree with lichtiekev doris will be away at the end of the season also will add to that pongo and yes wallace has an other year left but cant see him staying

2 hours ago, lichtiekev said:

Wallace’s link up and hold up play when he come on helped us see out the game,  Spence fought well but he is a penalty box striker and will score goals, Just needs a wee break, When Spence was signed I expected to see McKenna start on the wing but Goldie has fully warranty his place, 

I do think again Swanks needs a wee rest and you could have McKenna or McCord in his place, I think he has had a great season but been off his standards the last few weeks, 

Donnelly done ok when he come on and he deserves a chance to show what he has got to offer, but that is most likely to end Doris’s lichtie career, Hoepfullu he doesn’t end up at a Angus rival 

Wouldn’t be surprised if pongo, Stevie or even Wallace ended up at rivalry Angus teams, other managers will pick up on this and take advantage, depends if they want to play or sit on the bench :wacko:

Archived