Falkirk v Dundee United

22 minutes ago, Dundee Hibernian said:

Going to hospitality at Falkirk Stadium on Saturday: anyone who has been recently, what is the food like, and does drink freely flow?

The match: I've witnessed United falling on their collective faces too often to be confident in thinking they will leave with three points. But some of the bad defeats suffered in the past have had a managerial backstory to them, Brewster on his way out anyway, Laszlo in limbo as takeover talk stalled. 

No excuses for the Baptie hat trick match in the late eighties, as Jim McLean continued on for several years afterwards.

What about the Gow hattrick game? Oh aye  I forgot Levein was the manager so that takes car of that one.

• Replies 637
  • Created
  • Last Reply
7 minutes ago, Shodwall cat said:

What about the Gow hattrick game? Oh aye  I forgot Levein was the manager so that takes car of that one.

Was basing my rely on this point, about games at your ground, although the Baptie game was played at Brockville:

2 hours ago, falkirkzombie said:

we have gave them some pumpings overs the years at TFS, i believe a couple of managers got the sack afterwards also, f**k know how Csaba hund around after last seasons drubbing.

41 minutes ago, Dundee Hibernian said:

Going to hospitality at Falkirk Stadium on Saturday: anyone who has been recently, what is the food like, and does drink freely flow?

The match: I've witnessed United falling on their collective faces too often to be confident in thinking they will leave with three points. But some of the bad defeats suffered in the past have had a managerial backstory to them, Brewster on his way out anyway, Laszlo in limbo as takeover talk stalled. 

No excuses for the Baptie hat trick match in the late eighties, as Jim McLean continued on for several years afterwards.

Did Chisholm get the sack after a drubbing at Falkirk also? i may be wrong on that, can centerntly mind the Brewster game you talk of

This will be an incredibly difficult match but we look like a more determined and physical side now so if we can get a goal then we have shown in recent weeks we can grind out a result. For me the changes are obvious ones and I would assume that Butcher, Connolly and Cammy Smith will all come in to the side leaving us with....

Siegrist

Seaman

Frans (given his recent bench appearances I think Neilson prefers him to Bouhenna, who has missed out completely on a couple of occasions.  Not what I would personally go for)

Connolly

Robson (he has had two good games and it should be that he keeps his place until his form drops)

Harkes

Butcher

Smith

Clark

Pawlett

Safranko

Still to see much from Sow but with him, Nesbitt, Stanton, Fyvie, McMullan and Gomis on the bench we have decent depth to adapt if things are not going our way. Both Ayr and County have tricky fixtures next Saturday (although every fixture is tricky) so it could be a big weekend if we manage to get the three points. Hopefully we take 1500 or so through to the game and create a good atmosphere.

Some squad United have got now. Can see them storming to the title. I’d be quite happy with a draw on Saturday, just keep picking up points and keep our momentum going.

I’d go
Big Sexy Burgoyne

McGhee
McKenna
Dixon
Robson

Paton
Osman
McShane

Waddington
Rudden
DKD

3 hours ago, Shodwall cat said:

Have to laugh at the fact some players are still shiting out of playing on astro.  Centrebacks should be the kinbd of players that run through brick walls for you and now their scared to play on a certain surface. Cant see the likes of Dave Mackay saying I'm no playing on that surface it may hurt my ankle.Embarrassing stuff.Difficult to gauge this . United have made some decent signings as have we.   If Robson is playing for them again that would be a major weakness and I'd stick DKD out there on him.  A draw is the most likely I would say.

There is a former spurs player thats trying to campaign against headers saying theres a danger from them at the moment he wants children banned from headers but you can see where it is going to go.  FWIW his fractured skull came from an aerial challenge with another player not a header so cant really blame the ball for that one, in any case think most of us have headed the ball or cracked our nut on a goalpost or another player in our youth and not done any of us any harm (i would say that).

https://www.bbc.com/sport/football/47232257

3 hours ago, Shodwall cat said:

Have to laugh at the fact some players are still shiting out of playing on astro.  Centrebacks should be the kinbd of players that run through brick walls for you and now their scared to play on a certain surface. Cant see the likes of Dave Mackay saying I'm no playing on that surface it may hurt my ankle.Embarrassing stuff.Difficult to gauge this . United have made some decent signings as have we.   If Robson is playing for them again that would be a major weakness and I'd stick DKD out there on him.  A draw is the most likely I would say.

I have a bit of sympathy for Reynolds, he has had a bad run of injuries and will be cautious of playing on a surface that may hinder him (even if it just psychologically). He is 31 and will be focused on preserving what he has left of his career. It was suggested that he was edging towards being up for playing on Saturday so we may still see him next week but I doubt it. It is a bit frustrating that we have signed a player who is so hesitant to play on an artificial pitch but after Saturday we have no more league matches on these surfaces.

11 minutes ago, AL-FFC said:

There is a former spurs player thats trying to campaign against headers saying theres a danger from them at the moment he wants children banned from headers but you can see where it is going to go.  FWIW his fractured skull came from an aerial challenge with another player not a header so cant really blame the ball for that one, in any case think most of us have headed the ball or cracked our nut on a goalpost or another player in our youth and not done any of us any harm (i would say that).

https://www.bbc.com/sport/football/47232257

Any word on what he was attempting to do when the clash of heads occurred?

32 minutes ago, falkirkzombie said:

Did Chisholm get the sack after a drubbing at Falkirk also? i may be wrong on that, can centerntly mind the Brewster game you talk of

Gordon Chisholm was sacked the match before Falkirk played at Tannadice in Billy Dodds' one game United managerial career. He's got a 100% success rating, as United won 2-1. Derek McInnes scored a rocket winner in the last minute.

1 hour ago, Ralphies_Chip said:

I think the fact that one of our worst players is your first choice CH tells you all you need to know in terms of the quality of both squads now.

You're in for a pumping and the saltiness of your tears will be delicious.

You better have paid virginton his royalties before regurgitating one of his 2014 specialities as your closing sentence. If not, he will be raging, and your plagiarism will be the subject of much regret. Other than that, it’s honkingly pish.

1 hour ago, Ralphies_Chip said:

I think the fact that one of our worst players is your first choice CH tells you all you need to know in terms of the quality of both squads now.

You're in for a pumping and the saltiness of your tears will be delicious.

Thanks for your consistent words of wisdom, I've took it on board.....for about 2 seconds

10 minutes ago, stumigoo said:

I have a bit of sympathy for Reynolds, he has had a bad run of injuries and will be cautious of playing on a surface that may hinder him (even if it just psychologically). He is 31 and will be focused on preserving what he has left of his career. It was suggested that he was edging towards being up for playing on Saturday so we may still see him next week but I doubt it. It is a bit frustrating that we have signed a player who is so hesitant to play on an artificial pitch but after Saturday we have no more league matches on these surfaces.

Maybe Aberdeen don't want him playing on plastic: he is their player after all.

1 hour ago, Dundee Hibernian said:

Possibly but he is out of contract at the end of the season so it may be a bit of both (with him knowing that if he was to get another bad injury it could seriously impact his career a this stage).

You have to go back to when Brechin were in the league for when Utd scored more than 2 away goals in a league game, kinda tells you why UTD are a 15 goal swing behind the top 2.
Hopefully we see the UTD turned a corner feeling into a oh its no on Saturday, we see it every year throughout a season where they think they have turned the corner and then boom.
The best one was the Ayr 5-0 pumping on their own pitch.

You've used a 10 goal swing in a Dundee United home defeat to show that their lack of away goal scoring is why they're goal difference is so poor against one of the top two.

2 hours ago, Dundee Hibernian said:

55 minutes ago, stumigoo said:

Possibly but he is out of contract at the end of the season so it may be a bit of both (with him knowing that if he was to get another bad injury it could seriously impact his career a this stage).

If you could provide examples of players injured as a result of playing on the FFC surface, I'd be most interested to hear them. Because you appear to be coming from the angle that our surface is somehow dangerous.

Two or three injuries as a direct result will be fine for starters.

5 minutes ago, Ranaldo Bairn said:

If you could provide examples of players injured as a result of playing on the FFC surface, I'd be most interested to hear them. Because you appear to be coming from the angle that our surface is somehow dangerous.

I'll  only do that if you provide an example of where I said Reynolds would get injured on the pitch? Where did I say that the pitch was 'dangerous'?

I'm coming from the angle of someone who has had a bad injury, late in his career and is out of contract at the end of the season. I mentioned earlier that it might be purely psychological from his own point of view as he has previously mentioned his worry about artificial pitches. I'm actually a very vocal advocate of artificial surfaces and would be more than happy for United to get one.

You obviously never said that yourself, but you appeared to echo it, and I'm glad you are a supporter of astro parks. Ours has been brilliant for 5 years now.

Maybe he or Aberdeen do have those concerns, maybe they don't. I just think it's lazy thinking on players' and commentators' behalf in general that they think they are dangerous, when they clearly are not more dangerous than grass.

Apologies for misrepresenting you; I just like to see that sort of guff challenged.

You obviously never said that yourself, but you appeared to echo it, and I'm glad you are a supporter of astro parks. Ours has been brilliant for 5 years now.
Maybe he or Aberdeen do have those concerns, maybe they don't. I just think it's lazy thinking on players' and commentators' behalf in general that they think they are dangerous, when they clearly are not more dangerous than grass.
Apologies for misrepresenting you; I just like to see that sort of guff challenged.

It is very lazy by commentators and players (normally older players). The fact is that every day young kids are growing up on these pitches and that won’t stop as schools and councils, once they’ve made the initial outlay, see them as long-term sustainable pitches. I’m guessing that every school in Scotland that has had a bit of decent funding in the last few years has one.

It would be interesting to see the recent survey carried out again but amongst 12-18 year olds in the footballing system. I can bet the results would have been different.

If it is of good quality and maintained properly it can be a fantastic asset.

15 minutes ago, Ranaldo Bairn said:

To be fair, I don't pay Mark Reynolds' wages, nor do I have to provide for his household. Therefore, it isn't me who is arguing he shouldn't play on plastic pitches. Nor stumigoo as far as I can see. Reynolds got a bad injury a few months ago at Cove, I think, therefore mentally he may not be ready to go back onto an artificial surface.

From United's point of view, Lewis Toshney, Blair Spittal, Scott Fraser and Willo Flood got injured in one game on your plastic park two years ago. But Toshney is always getting injured. Spittal was out for two months, while Fraser carried an injury from that match and came back too early for the play-offs, then had to go off when he was back at Falkirk Stadium 9 minutes after coming on as a subbie in May.  

Archived