Falkirk v Dundee United

12 minutes ago, Duncan Freemason said:

The top surface will flatten and fatigue over time, but it’s the compression of the sand underneath that really kills these surfaces. You could put money on the surface having dropped a centimetre or two since installation as the sand underneath compresses with use and weather. It will just get harder and harder until it eventually feels like carpet on top of concrete.

I played on Ochilview this morning and I would say it's definitely harder than it was 2 years ago when I started.

• Replies 637
  • Created
  • Last Reply
8 hours ago, Dundee Hibernian said:

Going to hospitality at Falkirk Stadium on Saturday: anyone who has been recently, what is the food like, and does drink freely flow?

The match: I've witnessed United falling on their collective faces too often to be confident in thinking they will leave with three points. But some of the bad defeats suffered in the past have had a managerial backstory to them, Brewster on his way out anyway, Laszlo in limbo as takeover talk stalled. 

No excuses for the Baptie hat trick match in the late eighties, as Jim McLean continued on for several years afterwards.

The drink may indeed flow, as long as you're happy to pay for it!

5 minutes ago, ShaggerG said:

I played on Ochilview this morning and I would say it's definitely harder than it was 2 years ago when I started.

Yep, there will be less and less give in the surface. When fresh, in all the important matters, they behave like the very best of grass surfaces, but that doesn’t last for too long, and ours is probably pretty much at the end or very near the end of its useful life.

3 minutes ago, Duncan Freemason said:

Yep, there will be less and less give in the surface. When fresh, in all the important matters, they behave like the very best of grass surfaces, but that doesn’t last for too long, and ours is probably pretty much at the end or very near the end of its useful life.

Bit like ourselves Dunc eh? ;)

41 minutes ago, Bairney The Dinosaur said:

I can’t admit to having a trained eye for artificial pitches so I’ll take your word on it. We were told when it was laid it would start to need replaced after 5 years, is that 5 1/2 we are at now?

I'm sure when it was laid we were told it could/ would last 8-10 years. Looks like it isn't going to make that. I'm also sure we were told it would have paid for itself in rent after 5...not sure it has yet? Still, it must have saved us a fortune by ensuring games are on in winter weather and it won't cost as much to relay this time round. Plus the navy surround still looks smart as f**k 8)

1 hour ago, MrDust said:

Why dont you post that in the correct forum then.....

The one where I corrected your assumption that I was an arab or the one where I pointed out that using a home humping to point out United's poor away goal scoring was why they have such a poor goal difference to one of their promotion rivals?

That would be a boost to us if you were right and he was wrong. I'll ask the question tomorrow before our reserve match.

Sorry if I missed it elsewhere. Did we get definitive clarity re whether Rudden is eligible to play on Saturday?
Thanks.

Some squad United have got now. Can see them storming to the title. I’d be quite happy with a draw on Saturday, just keep picking up points and keep our momentum going.

I’d go
Big Sexy Burgoyne

McGhee
McKenna
Dixon
Robson

Paton
Osman
McShane

Waddington
Rudden
DKD

Seeing Paton and Dixon name has given me the fear

1 hour ago, Loonytoons said:

The one where I corrected your assumption that I was an arab or the one where I pointed out that using a home humping to point out United's poor away goal scoring was why they have such a poor goal difference to one of their promotion rivals?

Anyone spouting utd drivel in a FFC v Dufc match thread is going to be taken as a Utd fan, especially whilst using a mobile phone. 

Secondly I used United's lack of scoring more than two goals away in this league since Brechin were in the league and not the mentioned 5-0 defeat at home to Ayr, that was used in reference to that common United feeling that a corner has been turned, then bang.

Now, I think you are lost in quite a few areas, first of all, of you pop to the below forum

I can’t admit to having a trained eye for artificial pitches so I’ll take your word on it. We were told when it was laid it would start to need replaced after 5 years, is that 5 1/2 we are at now?

I think they said 7 from memory

I'm sure when it was laid we were told it could/ would last 8-10 years. Looks like it isn't going to make that. I'm also sure we were told it would have paid for itself in rent after 5...not sure it has yet? Still, it must have saved us a fortune by ensuring games are on in winter weather and it won't cost as much to relay this time round. Plus the navy surround still looks smart as f**k 8)

The income is less than 2% of our turnover and about 50% of the rental is the foundation at a reduced rate. The pitch was paid for by the bumper season of player sales and cup final.

Replacement would be around 200k (think that's about 45% of the original cost). I understand that is roughly the same cost as moving back to grass without USH.

7 hours ago, roman_bairn said:

Sorry if I missed it elsewhere. Did we get definitive clarity re whether Rudden is eligible to play on Saturday?
Thanks.

You didn't miss it; I forgot to answer. Rudden is clear to play. Not quite sure where the original mixup came from. Apart from me obviously. :oops

You didn't miss it; I forgot to answer. Rudden is clear to play. Not quite sure where the original mixup came from. Apart from me obviously. :oops
Zak needn't concern himself with administrative pish. It will only confuse him. Stick tae the fucking goals Zako

I was never a great fan of artifical pitches till we got ours and I think its been fantastic.  No worries about games being on and lets face it when you're watching a game do you ever really think to yourself feck I wish this was on grass?  Been some brilliant games on it too. When you see the state of the pitches in the top flight I'd be very reluctant to go back.  Motherwells on Sunday was like a tattie field and even Celtics supposed brand new all singing and dancing hybrid looks like a tractors ran over some of it.  Not playing on certain surfaces is just another example of how soft the modern day player has become.

1 hour ago, Shodwall cat said:

I was never a great fan of artifical pitches till we got ours and I think its been fantastic.  No worries about games being on and lets face it when you're watching a game do you ever really think to yourself feck I wish this was on grass?  Been some brilliant games on it too. When you see the state of the pitches in the top flight I'd be very reluctant to go back.  Motherwells on Sunday was like a tattie field and even Celtics supposed brand new all singing and dancing hybrid looks like a tractors ran over some of it.  Not playing on certain surfaces is just another example of how soft the modern day player has become.

Imagine the furore if these pussies had to play on blaes nowadays!

Image result for blaes pitch

5 hours ago, Bairnardo said:
11 hours ago, UnitedLoon63 said:

Seeing Paton and Dixon name has given me the fear

Dixon has been outstanding for us. Hasnt put a foot wrong at CB or LB.

Possibly a poty for some supporters clubs end of season doos too I imagine, showing how horrific our season has been

1 hour ago, Shodwall cat said:

I was never a great fan of artifical pitches till we got ours and I think its been fantastic.  No worries about games being on and lets face it when you're watching a game do you ever really think to yourself feck I wish this was on grass?  Been some brilliant games on it too. 

Ditto to above, tho in the back of my mind concerned if/when we replace the surface we end up with similar to Killie, QoS or Hamilton.

The queen's fans denial in how bad there pitch was in the first season, then having it relaid after it, then still in denial that it was still poor, we could be in a similar situation with replacing it.

If we had similar issues to QoS, I'd have wanted it ripped up and replaced with grass. I am still content with our surface now, it hasn't went to the Alloa condition before they replaced theirs

Archived