Jags Vs Stags Part Three - Saturday 23 February

6 hours ago, Granny Danger said:

I haven’t read any of the posts or the match report, but some comeback from County today.  It shows real determination and mental strength.

Wow! Well said. A comment nearly as surprising as the comeback

• Replies 142
  • Created
  • Last Reply
2 hours ago, Nightmare said:

I get your point, and we definitely are lucky that the Weirs won the lottery, but there is a pretty substantial difference in the two “models”. Colin Weir cleared our bank debt and funds the youth academy, but doesn’t have anything to do with the first team or its budget. Which to me seems like pretty much the opposite of what Roy McGregor does at County.

I wish Colin Weir would just sugardaddy the f**k out of it, though. Would be much more fun.

To be honest, I think that train of thought is looking at things too simplistically. 

Yes, the Weirs have *just* cleared our bank debt and funded the youth academy. But that has meant that the money that would normally have been spent in those areas has been spent on the first team. So saying the Weirs dont have anything to do with the first team or its budget is wrong, its just maybe not been done directly as Uncle Roy does at County. 

As much as we try and deny it, the Weirs investment has allowed us to spend more money on the first team. Its just a shame we've managed to royally f*ck it up.

I get your point, and we definitely are lucky that the Weirs won the lottery, but there is a pretty substantial difference in the two “models”. Colin Weir cleared our bank debt and funds the youth academy, but doesn’t have anything to do with the first team or its budget. Which to me seems like pretty much the opposite of what Roy McGregor does at County.
I wish Colin Weir would just sugardaddy the f**k out of it, though. Would be much more fun.

Roy invests heavily and is a big advocate of youth development and the highland football academy as well as the facility’s around the ground

13 hours ago, lpad said:

Legs went in the middle of the park. Harkins and bannigan were spent 5 mins into the 2nd half. County players started to find time and space easily and just picked us apart compared to first half where we were pressing relentlessly all over.

Might have been a different story if we'd hung on longer after the break but the best team took the points.

There was me expecting County legs to go in 2nd half following exertions of 120 mins + pens on Tuesday. County players must be well fit.

30 minutes ago, Les Westander of County said:

There was me expecting County legs to go in 2nd half following exertions of 120 mins + pens on Tuesday. County players must be well fit.

In so many ways.

Anyway, here's the highlights.  Looks like Stewart gave the centre half - and the right back - a torrid time, as Biscuits or Bonner might say.

Edit: my favourite bit is goal 1, where the Partick defender on the line ducks out of the way.

I can see why it is a good thing to have Anderson zonally mark the six yard box, but if it leaves Harkins to mark Stewart who is one of County's main threats* at set-pieces then the plan doesn't seem correct to me.

*Threat in terms of the number of times he beats his man to the ball, rather than the amount of times he hits the target with a header.

54 minutes ago, VladimirMooc said:

It’s always amusing to see fans with rich owners who bankroll them get annoyed when fans of other clubs point out they have rich owners who bankroll them. It isn’t a criticism, you’re very lucky and everyone else is jealous. So just embrace it. 

Budgets and Bankrolling aside.....as exciting as that is ;)

Great 2nd half performance from County, could have scored a couple more and put some good moves together by the looks of it! Ross Stewart in danger of becoming a proper goalscorer too which is a big plus.

On to the next one! 3 home games now, to win them all would be huge so hopefully we carry on playing like we showed we can in that 2nd half and keep taking chances :)

Fantastic weekend for County!

£££££££££££££££££££££££

Massive win for County. With United and Ayr's results, you feel a midweek win would make County massive favourites for the title.

Crazier than the comeback is a Thistle fan saying they need to forget about top four; eh?! I think us finishing in the play-offs is still a bit fanciful but it's miles more likely than Thistle atm.

I can see why it is a good thing to have Anderson zonally mark the six yard box, but if it leaves Harkins to mark Stewart who is one of County's main threats* at set-pieces then the plan doesn't seem correct to me.

In fairness, Doolan had been marking Stewart before he was subbed off. Harkins marking the area after that would’ve been better though.

7 hours ago, Jacky1990 said:

To be honest, I think that train of thought is looking at things too simplistically. 

Yes, the Weirs have *just* cleared our bank debt and funded the youth academy. But that has meant that the money that would normally have been spent in those areas has been spent on the first team. So saying the Weirs dont have anything to do with the first team or its budget is wrong, its just maybe not been done directly as Uncle Roy does at County. 

As much as we try and deny it, the Weirs investment has allowed us to spend more money on the first team. Its just a shame we've managed to royally f*ck it up.

We wouldn’t even have this youth academy if the Weirs hadn’t won Euromillions, but I suppose it’s fair to say we wouldn’t have had as big a playing budget over the last few years.

Absolutely no denying we’ve made a complete mess of being in the strongest position (on and off the pitch) the club had been at in decades. Fucking disgraceful, really.

7 hours ago, RossCountyFan14 said:

Roy invests heavily and is a big advocate of youth development and the highland football academy as well as the facility’s around the ground

Fair enough. But he also does invest in the first team playing budget, and pay for players’ accommodation and transport (or did at one point), which is a luxury very few clubs at this level can afford.

I think the general gist of what I’m trying to say is I’m grateful we have Colin Weir, but as a selfish football fan I’d rather have Roy McGregor. Although in saying that, we’d probably have still fucked everything up even if we did.

1 hour ago, Savage Henry said:

In so many ways.

Anyway, here's the highlights.  Looks like Stewart gave the centre half - and the right back - a torrid time, as Biscuits or Bonner might say.

Edit: my favourite bit is goal 1, where the Partick defender on the line ducks out of the way.

My favourite bit is 6.45 big Ross with the classic Fifa 19 near post header from a corner and then wheeling away in delerium.

County were absolutely awful in the first half. One of the worst performances of the season, very reminiscent of the game in Dumfries. Shite defending for both Thistle goals. The second half County came out a lot more determined and the game changed on the first County goal. A stroke of luck with the defending and that from point on County capitalised as the game stretched and Thistle's wee wobble turned into a total collapse. 

I think that's the best I've felt leaving a game since the League Cup final. Just absolutely terrific! The players and managers deserve a lot of credit for getting something from that game because I expected a repeat of what happened in Dumfries.

Grivosti looked fine when he came on for Boyle. I'm not a fan of Spence but he dominated the middle of the park in the second half, and if it wasn't for #RossStewartMania he'd have been my MOTM. As soon as the game stretched, Lindsay was in his element.  

I think Thistle will stay up. I thought Spittal and Fitzpatrick were very good in the first half. 

Good highlights package from County, although given the billions Roy McBramovich is reputed to have I was expecting a full program of highlights with pundits and a panel discussion at the end. A bit biscuit-tin-ish imo.

It looked like a cracking game which, if we weren't fighting for our lives, would have been easier to take.

If we take even one more of our countless first half chances then we win, but hey ho.

I was more raging that Alloa aren't sticking to the script tbh.

At half time 

happy fresh prince GIF by Nick At Nite

About 20 minutes later... 

sad face GIF

Harkins was pish yesterday and I still think he's done at this level, no one gets pass marks in the second half, absolutely fucking ragdolled, embarrassing tbh. I can't recall a worse half of football from a Thistle team, after the last couple of years we've had I was thinking, right worse case scenario we should get a draw out of this. But, f**k me wasn't expecting that. 

It's a shite cliche, but that was about as clear an example of a game of two halves as you'll get.

First half, I don't think we were excellent, but County looked like they'd never even met each other before, and genuinely looked like they were afraid of what we might do to them.  I think we eased off slightly before the end of the first half, or at least let our momentum just tick over.  Because surely we won't lose from here, right?

Second half, County came out like a fucking runaway train, and we were the ones that looked terrified.  Had they not got that early goal, maybe we could have weathered it a little, but from the minute that goal went in it looked a foregone conclusion.  Even after we started to get a foot on the ball at 2-1, we looked like we'd completely abandoned what was working in the first half, and were going back to Archibald era feart stuff.  Dreadful.

Put simply, our lows in the second half weren't quite as low as County's in the first, and our highs in the first were nowhere near the highs County got in the 2nd.

And editing to add, despite a pretty dreadful result in the circumstances from where we could have been, the head's gone that some people are experiencing over this is really quite something.  We were likely always going to be in this relegation dogfight rather than looking upwards, and a fairly purple patch has put us a lot closer to teams above us.  Unfortunately Falkirk and Alloa are picking up points too, but given how fucking hopeless it was looking earlier in the season, I'd take the position we're in now over us and one other being cut off at the bottom in a race to the playoff spot.

yeah, would agree with the above. We went from looking composed on the ball and shifting it about in the 1st half to JUSTFUCKINGCLEARITAHHHHHHHH every time it came near one of our players in the 2nd.

It's disappointing to lose it but I think there was a pretty big difference between that game and Archibald's last match in charge where we were completely outclassed from 0-90.

Main worry from it is that Harkin's doesnt look like he can go a full 90 minutes, slowed down noticeably in the 2nd half and got bullied about.

If we can keep the bottle in crunch games around us, and results recently have been encouraging on that score, we'll be fine no matter what other teams get up to.

I've also just about recovered a bit of optimism for the Hearts game, too.

Archived