Queen's Park v Clyde

Has it? Finance is one thing and availability is another. We signed Hopkirk who would've been more than good enough, indeed probably a stand-out, and we only managed to shift him from the wage bill long after the window had closed. We have Syvertsen and Love who are adequate as back-up.
He doesn't play Love so doesn't see him as back up and you have forgot Gorman stand in the stand for over half the season oh and duffie his wages to game time must be about a grand a game.
DGW 15 goals next best ally love 6 who can't get a start look at the top two goal stats might tell you something
Sorry I forgot we are not allowed to question St Danny

Just put me down as part of the Clyde awkward squad [emoji16]

1 minute ago, cfcuk said:

He doesn't play Love so doesn't see him as back up and you have forgot Gorman stand in the stand for over half the season oh and duffie his wages to game time must be about a grand a game.
DGW 15 goals next best ally love 6 who can't get a start look at the top two goal stats might tell you something
Sorry I forgot we are not allowed to question St Danny

Just put me down as part of the Clyde awkward squad emoji16.png

Questioning is, of course, allowed and you will have seen me doing so pretty extensively myself. Gorman was a useless signing, I mentioned Duffie and Lyon earlier too. Any back-up striker we signed, unless they were good enough to change our now 14-unbeaten formula, wouldn't have been starting this season. Doesn't mean they aren't back-up, which is exactly what Love is now. Just because he isn't starting doesn't mean he can't still contribute or fill in, or that Lennon doesn't rate him at all. 

The first half was pretty even. Queen's Park started well but we got better as the half wore on. As usual, when QP get the ball down and start running at us we always seem to be scrambling in defence, but thankfully they didn't do manage that too much today.

Banks was excellent in the first half but had little support, and bizarrely tried to cross to no one when he had a great chance to shoot. He disappeared in the second half but if he can get his fitness up he could be a key player for us.

I thought Goodwillie replacing McStay worked, and a rare spell playing nearly 4-4-2 saw us well on top. Fitzpatrick may not have finished anything today but he kept Gerry McLaughlin busy, who's as good a defender as you'll find at this level, which allowed others space to play.

Boyle, and subsequently Lyon, coming on was a disaster though. We'd actually completely lost our control of the game 5 minutes before we scored.

For their goal we gave the ball away cheaply, and then Rumsby mishit his clearance whilst covering for McNiff. A cheap goal to lose, though we ended up lucky not to concede again.

Rankin's chance was even better than anything Fitzpatrick had, and he didn't even hit the target.

As others have said, we probably now need to win the next two tough games to stay in with a chance.

Edited by Jaggy Snake

1 hour ago, an86 said:

977. Actually thought it was decent considering Pollok and Auchinleck were playing the Junior Cup quarters just up the road. Nearly 1800 at that. 

Amazed at that, personally. Mind you, my view point towards the pitch from the Isle of Arran could be excused from appropriate crowd estimates. 

Queens started well but thought for the most part we were the better side, certainly having more of the chances. Poor goal to lose especially having only taken the lead a few minutes previous. 

Banks was good, first half especially, put some really good crosses in and Goodwillie may well have taken one of them. 

Disappointed to only take a point, but it’s a point more than we usually take at hampden.

977. Actually thought it was decent considering Pollok and Auchinleck were playing the Junior Cup quarters just up the road. Nearly 1800 at that. 
I agree that the size of the crowd, (including a large noisy clyde support) made for a far better atmosphere than I've experienced for a long time in Hampden. The roar when Clyde scored was louder than any I can remember recently. Although for some reason they then went very quiet[emoji6]

3 minutes ago, Ben Reilly said:

I agree that the size of the crowd, (including a large noisy clyde support) made for a far better atmosphere than I've experienced for a long time in Hampden. The roar when Clyde scored was louder than any I can remember recently. Although for some reason they then went very quietemoji6.png

Definitely the mentalist I've seen the Clyde support go at Hampden. Understandably so. Not won a league game here since 2010 and the fact that it'd have been a massive three points in terms of the title race. 

We've had a fistful of games this year that were in the two-points-dropped category so today's one-point-nicked is well received. First half was pretty even but Clyde picked the tempo up a bit and without Jordan Hart today we would have been well beaten. Some of his saves would have got him a Scotland cap at a bigger team.

Again today we had huge holes in midfield. If you are going to play only ball players there you must make sure the defence plays to their feet but Roberts and McGrory spent much of the game watching the ball flying over them. Both wing backs showed their skill going forward but also got caught out by the back line staying far too deep as always. Clyde's goal was well finished but the breakaway from the penalty box was far too easy and our back line caught flat.

Gow has to be out on Tuesday. Apart from having no effect on the game other than constantly losing possession, he offers no support whatsoever to the midfield. Last 2 weeks have been the same. We're effectively a man short and it must be frustrating for some of the youngsters on the bench. His loitering meant Galt was doing all the defending, which he did well but we need Davie attacking not chasing tackles.

Goodwillie was onside, timed perfectly. McLaren' tackle too was perfect and wasn't a foul never mind a booking. Glad to see him back at his dominant best. Shame about the missed open goal. The ref was one of the best I've seen. MotM: Hart
Great post, couldn't disagree with any of that. I think the change of Moore for Gow and the switch to 4-3-3 helped settle things as at that point we were starting to look very exposed at the back and had lost any shape and composure we had. We were starting to get a grip on things again and just had our best chance when clyde scored. Very positive substitution changing Calvin for East and it paid off very quickly, where under a previous regime we may have gone for damage limitation and lobbing the ball into the box from the half way line. Unlucky not to get the winner (I was out my seat and thought it was in) but a draw is probably a fair result.

Definitely the mentalist I've seen the Clyde support go at Hampden. Understandably so. Not won a league game here since 2010 and the fact that it'd have been a massive three points in terms of the title race. 
Thought 8 for queens park played really well I did say if you were a neutral it was a decent game to watch real blow for us losing the late goal, felt like a defeat as witnessed by how quickly we left the stadium
Football is fantastic one minute your ecstatic 4 minutes later it's phone the samartins suppose that's why we love it so much.

4 minutes ago, cfcuk said:

Thought 8 for queens park played really well I did say if you were a neutral it was a decent game to watch real blow for us losing the late goal, felt like a defeat as witnessed by how quickly we left the stadium
Football is fantastic one minute your ecstatic 4 minutes later it's phone the samartins suppose that's why we love it so much.

That's Kurtis Roberts, who scored a couple of pearlers against Berwick. Useful player. Hart was good, as were Galt and McLean. Think it's clear that Clyde have the better players this season, but we dug in well. We've shown great character in the past couple of home games with two late equalisers. 

Clyde could and maybe should have been out of sight, but big Dom should burst the net after the equaliser as well. As you say, a good game for the neutral. 

58 minutes ago, an86 said:

Was wondering the last time we won there. Jesus.

As bad as our experience is at Hampden in particular is (when we used to be 2-0 after 10 minutes I remember on Tuesday nights going to the old social club playing bingo) I like playing Queen’s Park. Gives an edge to a game we don’t normally have.

40 minutes ago, bobthespider said:

Moore for Hawke . Mckernan for mclaren East for Gow and Mortimer for Summers that’s the way I would go for all the away games coming up .

Thought Dom and Ciaran did OK. I think the busy run will give us a chance to rotate. There's at least couple of guys who will be taking a shift off work to go to Elgin and not get off the bench. Would hope any outfielder that happened to would be looked upon favourably for a run out at some point. 

2 minutes ago, You Only Live Twice said:

Just before it, probably something like “if we keep the score line like this it would be a great result, but I would still take a draw!”, coupled with an element of doubt “we never get a decent result here, so surely we won’t stay ahead!” and the obvious realisation that “in either case that sad wee fanny anal86 will be foaming at the mouth and baiting like nobody’s business”

Just after it, satisfaction that I was correct in my assessment, and the reassurance that all we need to do is keep our winning run going to make the title/play offs and that we are still 24 points ahead of utter mediocrity emoji1.png

Have an epic weekend though! You’ll undoubtedly be buzzing after such a fantastic result emoji1319.png

Rattled. 

5 minutes ago, Hampden Diehard said:
10 hours ago, an86 said:
Rattled. 

Indeed; "mediocrity" that, once again, Clyde couldn't beat.

Major questions have to be asked about their stomach for the fight. Lost a late goal at Annan and again yesterday. These are games that win leagues. To think they'd be a point off the top, with a game in hand, if they'd held out in both. Was a real shame to see that both Peterhead and Edinburgh won their games as well.