Queen's Park v Clyde

an86

• Replies 305
  • Created
  • Last Reply
From this angle it did look like a booking for the foul on Banks but apart from that the referee has been absolutely fine. He's being consistent with pushes and nudges when the ball is in the air and the game is flowing well as a result.
Prepared to change my mind second half though.
Have to agree that the ref seemed to be trying to let the game flow which was a refreshing change in this league. From the view from the comfy seats right above the tackle by McLaren I'd agree that the ref got that one wrong..... big Dom won the ball well and it was never a free kick. Linesman was right in front of it and gave no indication of it being a foul.

2 minutes ago, an86 said:

Talk me through your feelings when Euan East's majestic strike nestled in the corner. In great detail, if possible. Thanks. 

I had to double check my phone to make sure it wasn't Longworth. Good finish regardless; I couldn't see Queen's Park scoring which makes it worse. At least the number 4 messed up the header to win it a minute later.

People can blame a wee defensive slip or error for the equaliser but the blame for not winning the game should be put towards the chances we missed well before Goodwillie scored. Three or four from Fitzpatrick, a couple from McNiff, Rankin running out of legs when clean through. I thought we played well enough to win the game but once again a match at Hampden has absolutely killed us.

Currie, Rumsby and Lang our best three, with Banks vanishing from the game in the second half. McNiff at left-back is an absolute disaster though and it's no surprise the goal came from that area. Cuddihy struggled against Galt. The midfield were better than Queen's Park without playing particularly well but in fairness, until Goodwillie came on the only target they had to hit was Banks out wide. Fitzpatrick did some stuff okay but all of the things that you would expect from a centre-half up front (challenging physically, winning headers, some sort of first touch) are missing completely. 

The table will look better if we win the next two but we're really down to last chances if we want to get into top spot.

Both Clyde full backs were poor today.
No idea why we took Banks off for Lyons.

I may be a bit unfair on Fitzpatrick but I fail to see why we brought him back from the juniors. He's very poor at centre forward. Slow, didn't hold the ball up, didn't win headers and missed a sitter.

I had to double check my phone to make sure it wasn't Longworth. Good finish regardless; I couldn't see Queen's Park scoring which makes it worse. At least the number 4 messed up the header to win it a minute later.
People can blame a wee defensive slip or error for the equaliser but the blame for not winning the game should be put towards the chances we missed well before Goodwillie scored. Three or four from Fitzpatrick, a couple from McNiff, Rankin running out of legs when clean through. I thought we played well enough to win the game but once again a match at Hampden has absolutely killed us.
Currie, Rumsby and Lang our best three, with Banks vanishing from the game in the second half. McNiff at left-back is an absolute disaster though and it's no surprise the goal came from that area. Cuddihy struggled against Galt. The midfield were better than Queen's Park without playing particularly well but in fairness, until Goodwillie came on the only target they had to hit was Banks out wide. Fitzpatrick did some stuff okay but all of the things that you would expect from a centre-half up front (challenging physically, winning headers, some sort of first touch) are missing completely. 
The table will look better if we win the next two but we're really down to last chances if we want to get into top spot.
Can't argue with much of that

The striking situation dates back to the hopkirk / ferns fiasco at the start of the season by then the budget had been used up and if rumours are true at least one got a 4 figure pay off which resulted in a centre half playing up front today plenty of chances game should have been over by time DGW came on , but if you don't take your chances then the other team take heart from it The Stewart conundrum continues on the bench again did nothing wrong to get dropped but Lennon couldn't get mcniff back into the team quick enough and he was dreadful today ( no surprise ) Two must win games coming up

Both Clyde full backs were poor today.
No idea why we took Banks off for Lyons.

I may be a bit unfair on Fitzpatrick but I fail to see why we brought him back from the juniors. He's very poor at centre forward. Slow, didn't hold the ball up, didn't win headers and missed a sitter.
Two sitters [emoji106]

Is there any way we can get Ferns back to replace Lyon? Probably the most nothing player to have played for us since Duffy's days of recruiting as many ringers as possible. 

If Goodwillie and Syvertsen/Love aren't fully fit very soon, then there's absolutely no chance of us taking this the distance. Fitzpatrick leaves nothing on the park but simply isn't a good enough football player for this level, never mind when deployed as a striker. The amount of great chances missed today was incredible. Lennon's decisions worried me as he made them - why was McStay taken off unless his gonads had burst? - and ending up with a midfield duo of a struggling Grant and tiring Rankin on that pitch is complete suicide. Goodwillie was always likely to be found in behind at least once, so I'm not sure why it was decided that Lyon, Boyle and Lamont all had to be on the park at once. As soon as the goal went in, we started overplaying in the wrong areas in an attempt to keep the ball at all costs rather than consolidating and allowing our defence, which had mopped up with ease, to give us a base to see it out. I am so furious that I can scarcely even remember the build-up to the equaliser, but the defending preceding it was lazy at best. Even more worrying is the manner in which we then proceeded to completely fold and gift a free header to an absolute donkey who thankfully powered wide, before letting the same man dance straight through the middle of us. 

Today's result is not in any way surprising for a variety of reasons, from past experience to another bizarre line-up. Did Lennon really think QP would shell long diagonals to McNiff again? If not, then why is Stewart not playing? I thought he'd have learned his lesson RE: Fitzpatrick last week, notwithstanding the fact that he was up against a significantly better 3-man defence today.

At least 4 points are required from these next two games; Peterhead are still the clear favourites from here, but really we have to be winning our games against the title rivals if we are to stand a chance. I am not looking forward to Tuesday's game, and I fear for the fitness of our players going into the Edinburgh one.

Is there any way we can get Ferns back to replace Lyon? Probably the most nothing player to have played for us since Duffy's days of recruiting as many ringers as possible. 
If Goodwillie and Syvertsen/Love aren't fully fit very soon, then there's absolutely no chance of us taking this the distance. Fitzpatrick leaves nothing on the park but simply isn't a good enough football player for this level, never mind when deployed as a striker. The amount of great chances missed today was incredible. Lennon's decisions worried me as he made them - why was McStay taken off unless his gonads had burst? - and ending up with a midfield duo of a struggling Grant and tiring Rankin on that pitch is complete suicide. Goodwillie was always likely to be found in behind at least once, so I'm not sure why it was decided that Lyon, Boyle and Lamont all had to be on the park at once. As soon as the goal went in, we started overplaying in the wrong areas in an attempt to keep the ball at all costs rather than consolidating and allowing our defence, which had mopped up with ease, to give us a base to see it out. I am so furious that I can scarcely even remember the build-up to the equaliser, but the defending preceding it was lazy at best. Even more worrying is the manner in which we then proceeded to completely fold and gift a free header to an absolute donkey who thankfully powered wide, before letting the same man dance straight through the middle of us. 
Today's result is not in any way surprising for a variety of reasons, from past experience to another bizarre line-up. Did Lennon really think QP would shell long diagonals to McNiff again? If not, then why is Stewart not playing? I thought he'd have learned his lesson RE: Fitzpatrick last week, notwithstanding the fact that he was up against a significantly better 3-man defence today.
At least 4 points are required from these next two games; Peterhead are still the clear favourites from here, but really we have to be winning our games against the title rivals if we are to stand a chance. I am not looking forward to Tuesday's game, and I fear for the fitness of our players going into the Edinburgh one.
Think we need to win next two simple as that

Not there so can't comment on the quality of play.  M McN has been a dependable player all season but he is NOT a Left back. DL should be fair to the support and the player and not expose him by playing out of position.  

We have been so frighteningly wasteful in front of goal all season and today was the same.  1 goal from something like 15 attempts. P/ H scored 1 from 7 and EC scored 2 from 9. 

The Stirling game will be very tough and, if we were to drop points in either of the next two, I would much rather it were that one. We're at a point now, though, where any dropped points will hurt us. Failing to beat teams we are miles ahead of such as QP today is suicidal; we've had terrible luck with recent injuries, but still had more than enough to win that today. Still, a third of the season to go. After the first third, we were miles off the pace, so anything can happen.

we've had terrible luck with recent injuries, but still had more than enough to win that today.

To be honest we've been lucky with injuries.

We have one striker on the books and he is rarely injured despite some pretty rough treatment. This is Goodwillie's only absence due to injury that I can recall.

Danny Lennon should take responsibility for having 5 Central defenders (6 if you count Nicoll) in the squad and no cover for Goodwillie as a striker.

Add to that that our only two fullbacks, Stewart and Duffie, can't get in the team.

We've had a fistful of games this year that were in the two-points-dropped category so today's one-point-nicked is well received. First half was pretty even but Clyde picked the tempo up a bit and without Jordan Hart today we would have been well beaten. Some of his saves would have got him a Scotland cap at a bigger team.

Again today we had huge holes in midfield. If you are going to play only ball players there you must make sure the defence plays to their feet but Roberts and McGrory spent much of the game watching the ball flying over them. Both wing backs showed their skill going forward but also got caught out by the back line staying far too deep as always. Clyde's goal was well finished but the breakaway from the penalty box was far too easy and our back line caught flat.

Gow has to be out on Tuesday. Apart from having no effect on the game other than constantly losing possession, he offers no support whatsoever to the midfield. Last 2 weeks have been the same. We're effectively a man short and it must be frustrating for some of the youngsters on the bench. His loitering meant Galt was doing all the defending, which he did well but we need Davie attacking not chasing tackles.

Goodwillie was onside, timed perfectly. McLaren' tackle too was perfect and wasn't a foul never mind a booking. Glad to see him back at his dominant best. Shame about the missed open goal. The ref was one of the best I've seen. MotM: Hart

2 minutes ago, haufdaft said:

To be honest we've been lucky with injuries.

We have one striker on the books and he is rarely injured despite some pretty rough treatment. This is Goodwillie's only absence due to injury that I can recall.

Danny Lennon should take responsibility for having 5 Central defenders (6 if you count Nicoll) in the squad and no cover for Goodwillie as a striker.

Add to that that our only two fullbacks, Stewart and Duffie, can't get in the team.

There are definite balance and depth issues within the squad, not helped by the presence of dead weight like Lyon and Duffie who have offered nothing all season. To have all three of our centre forward options injured simultaneously is bad luck, though, regardless of whether we'd been lucky before. The Stewart situation is genuinely bizarre and, as I said, the only reason I can think of for him being on the bench today other than a niggle is that Lennon thought QP would shell diagonals to our left-back area as they did at Broadwood and, to some extent, Hampden in previous fixtures.

Banks was one of the positives today; although his influence waned as the game wore on, a lot of what was good came through his pace and trickery in that first half. We could have a frightening attacking set-up with he and Syvertsen behind Goodwillie.

Archived