School kids on strike

ICTJohnboy

Surprised there isn't a thread on this demonstration on climate change, unless I've missed something.

Naively I assumed this was only happening in England, but tuning in to BBC Scotland lunchtime news, I learned it was happening in parts of the Scottish Highlands too.

I was however, surprised and disappointed to note that the kids interviewed in Ullapool, spoke with English accents. 

Just now, ICTJohnboy said:

Surprised there isn't a thread on this demonstration on climate change, unless I've missed something.

Naively I assumed this was only happening in England, but tuning in to BBC Scotland lunchtime news, I learned it was happening in parts of the Scottish Highlands too.

Some schoolchildren didn't go to classes to go on anti-war protests around the time of the Iraq War.

When are the cops going to start with the baton rounds, kettling and mounted charges?

I was however, surprised and disappointed to note that the kids interviewed in Ullapool, spoke with English accents. 

Why would this surprise and disappoint you?

13 minutes ago, ICTChris said:

Some schoolchildren didn't go to classes to go on anti-war protests around the time of the Iraq War.

When are the cops going to start with the baton rounds, kettling and mounted charges?

Why would this surprise and disappoint you?

My first thought was surprise that the reporters on the story couldn't find any Scottish kids they felt would be easily understood on nationwide TV - I could be wrong of course, maybe it's just that English kids are quicker in coming forward when a TV film crew appears on the scene.

37 minutes ago, ICTJohnboy said:

My first thought was surprise that the reporters on the story couldn't find any Scottish kids they felt would be easily understood on nationwide TV - I could be wrong of course, maybe it's just that English kids are quicker in coming forward when a TV film crew appears on the scene.

Bloody English coming up here and *checks notes* hogging the vox pop sections on TV news programmes.

9 minutes ago, The_Kincardine said:

It's Scotland and it's schools.  They have no significance under this SNP administration.

If it was up to you lot you'd have teachers banging on about William of Orange all day long.

6 minutes ago, red23 said:

If it was up to you lot you'd have teachers banging on about William of Orange all day long.

I'd certainly fucking hope so!  The Williamite Revolution?  The Act of Union?  The Protestant Reformation?

There's yer world history curriculum in 3 easy steps.

9 minutes ago, The_Kincardine said:

I'd certainly fucking hope so!  The Williamite Revolution?  The Act of Union?  The Protestant Reformation?

There's yer world history curriculum in 3 easy steps.

The fact i know utterly nothing about any of that delights me to the core.

Just now, red23 said:

The fact i know utterly nothing about any of that delights me to the core.

The fact that you know utterly nothing about any of that is unsurprising.  You're growing up in a generation of barely-literate fuckwits who have no sense of history. 

BTW this a a 'yer da' post and proud.

25 minutes ago, The_Kincardine said:

The fact that you know utterly nothing about any of that is unsurprising.  You're growing up in a generation of barely-literate fuckwits who have no sense of history. 

BTW this a a 'yer da' post and proud.

To be fair its all irrelevant nonsense that none of us can change, hopefully in a few generations it'll be completely forgotten and Glasgow may be habitable for normal people again.

Heard one of the kids organising it on Channel 4 news this evening and from what I heard the wee girl was more articulate and knowledgeable about climate change than most politicians. Its fucking brilliant to see these kids engaging in meaningful protests and spotting that this really is the biggest threat to our survival. Maybe the human race isnt as fucked as it seems in the midst of brexit, austerity and trump?

If they are old enough to vote then let them strike its their right, also they seem very well informed. People in Britain are far too reluctant to get out on to the streets.

Spoiler

before being ignored by the ruling class

Archived