Plastic not so fantastic

spit

20 hours ago, G4Mac said:

To my knowledge there is actually no confirmation, as everyone disagrees from all the studies, that playing on astro causes more injuries. In fact there is no correlation between injuries and type of surface played on. 

Steve Clark actually said it best, if it is more likely to get an injury whilst playing and training on 4g why don't Kilmarnock have more injuries? 

I'm not an pro astro person, I don't mind either way. I did like playing on a good grass surface, however I would take astro over a poor grass surface any day of the week..... And the further down the levels you go, the poorer the grass surfaces are. For me if a club is sustainable because of their astro turf pitch then that can only be a good thing.... The cost to upkeep a grass park can be particularly high, not counting for the man hours of volunteers involved at lower levels. 

I am a season ticket holder at Rugby Park and have watched Killie playing on the plastic pitch now since it was first put down, and it is now only really becoming an issue because Killie are annoying the bigger clubs by taking points off them.  Prior to the last 16 months (Since Steve Clarke arrived)  it was barely issue.  Celtic regularly played us off the park until recently because the smooth surface allowed them to use their far superior skill levels to their advantage.  I never heard the blessed Brendan moan about the pitches then.   Neil Lennon's Hibs beat us 3-0 nil in Clarkes first home game and made no comments, yet in the 2-2 game later in the season moaned about the pitch (Wrong it was his defence, poor finishing from his forwards and his poor tactics which allowed us to get back from 2-0 down after about 20 minutes) - it was a fantastic game and we should have been talking about that rather than making excuses about a pitch. 

Talking about Hibs, why is a slope allowed on a pitch - surely that is worse than a plastic pitch ?  

Likewise why is Motherwell's pitch allowed to slope from one side to the other, but nothing is done about that?   If you sit in the away stand and look at the opposite stand you can see that the right hand side of the pitch is about 4-5 feet higher than the left hand side.

You hear stupid throw away comments like "I have never seen a good game on a plastic pitch" made by managers, pundits without any substance whatsoever (why am I surprised by idiots like Dodds, Miller, Preston, Young, Bonner?).   I have seen some great games and great football on the plastic pitch, especially games involving Celtic and Hibs.   Ross County and, surprisingly, Dundee a few seasons ago usually played well at Rugby Park - we could hardly beat Ross County home or away for about 3 seasons, so what difference did the pitch make?  Teams who played the ball on the ground usually played us off the park at Kilmarnock for 3-4 seasons in a row,  then this changed when Steve Clarke became our manger and we became a well organised team, so the pitch then becomes a factor. 

Most teams train on astro turf most days - If I am correct most of the clubs who have their own training facilities have astro pitches, and I believe all weather pitches are a pre-requisite for funding for Project Brave.   Dominic Ball was interviewed the other day moaning about these pitches while standing on a plastic pitch - the irony was probably lost on him. 

How many of the Hearts players who got serious injuries this season had them inflicted on a plastic pitch? None that I am aware of.   

Jamie Murphy got injured because of the way he landed, nothing to do with the pitch - if you watch the way he runs it is no surprise he injured himself. 

How many Killie players have been injured because of the plastic pitch?  The only one I can think of is Kiltie.  Many more than that have been injured on grass. in the same time

I would prefer a good quality grass pitch, however I don't think it is as big an issue as is being made out at present. Read Gary Holt's comments the other night, which I think put a very good argument the other way.  

It would cost Killie probably £3-4mn to replace the grass pitch, as we would need to then build training facilities to compensate, which included a plastic pitch.  Steve Clarke said £10mn at the AGM, however I don't think it would be as high as that.   We simply cannot afford to do this. 

Just a thought on Gerrard, who I dislike more and more as each week passes, maybe it had been an astro pitch 'Slippy G' might not have fallen on his ares and let Chelsea win the league. 

Anyway I'm off now to watch the ball stop rolling in the mud heap that will be Dunterlie Park this afternoon - Come on the Lie!!

18 minutes ago, paul wright scores said:

I am a season ticket holder at Rugby Park and have watched Killie playing on the plastic pitch now since it was first put down, and it is now only really becoming an issue because Killie are annoying the bigger clubs by taking points off them.  Prior to the last 16 months (Since Steve Clarke arrived)  it was barely issue.  Celtic regularly played us off the park until recently because the smooth surface allowed them to use their far superior skill levels to their advantage.  I never heard the blessed Brendan moan about the pitches then.   Neil Lennon's Hibs beat us 3-0 nil in Clarkes first home game and made no comments, yet in the 2-2 game later in the season moaned about the pitch (Wrong it was his defence, poor finishing from his forwards and his poor tactics which allowed us to get back from 2-0 down after about 20 minutes) - it was a fantastic game and we should have been talking about that rather than making excuses about a pitch. 

Talking about Hibs, why is a slope allowed on a pitch - surely that is worse than a plastic pitch ?  

Likewise why is Motherwell's pitch allowed to slope from one side to the other, but nothing is done about that?   If you sit in the away stand and look at the opposite stand you can see that the right hand side of the pitch is about 4-5 feet higher than the left hand side.

You hear stupid throw away comments like "I have never seen a good game on a plastic pitch" made by managers, pundits without any substance whatsoever (why am I surprised by idiots like Dodds, Miller, Preston, Young, Bonner?).   I have seen some great games and great football on the plastic pitch, especially games involving Celtic and Hibs.   Ross County and, surprisingly, Dundee a few seasons ago usually played well at Rugby Park - we could hardly beat Ross County home or away for about 3 seasons, so what difference did the pitch make?  Teams who played the ball on the ground usually played us off the park at Kilmarnock for 3-4 seasons in a row,  then this changed when Steve Clarke became our manger and we became a well organised team, so the pitch then becomes a factor. 

Most teams train on astro turf most days - If I am correct most of the clubs who have their own training facilities have astro pitches, and I believe all weather pitches are a pre-requisite for funding for Project Brave.   Dominic Ball was interviewed the other day moaning about these pitches while standing on a plastic pitch - the irony was probably lost on him. 

How many of the Hearts players who got serious injuries this season had them inflicted on a plastic pitch? None that I am aware of.   

Jamie Murphy got injured because of the way he landed, nothing to do with the pitch - if you watch the way he runs it is no surprise he injured himself. 

How many Killie players have been injured because of the plastic pitch?  The only one I can think of is Kiltie.  Many more than that have been injured on grass. in the same time

I would prefer a good quality grass pitch, however I don't think it is as big an issue as is being made out at present. Read Gary Holt's comments the other night, which I think put a very good argument the other way.  

It would cost Killie probably £3-4mn to replace the grass pitch, as we would need to then build training facilities to compensate, which included a plastic pitch.  Steve Clarke said £10mn at the AGM, however I don't think it would be as high as that.   We simply cannot afford to do this. 

Just a thought on Gerrard, who I dislike more and more as each week passes, maybe it had been an astro pitch 'Slippy G' might not have fallen on his ares and let Chelsea win the league. 

Anyway I'm off now to watch the ball stop rolling in the mud heap that will be Dunterlie Park this afternoon - Come on the Lie!!

Sounds like you're trying way too hard to convince yourself that the current  killie pitch is good, simple fact is rugby Park was one of the best grass pitches in Scotland at its best and the plastic pitch is extremely poor. 

2 minutes ago, ThemightyHERTHA said:

Sounds like you're trying way too hard to convince yourself that the current  killie pitch is good, simple fact is rugby Park was one of the best grass pitches in Scotland at its best and the plastic pitch is extremely poor. 

Don't think so,  just trying to put a bit of balance into the argument. 

I thought  Rugby Park was probably the best pitch in Scotland at one point (Ayr's was equally as good) however it did deteriorate latterly. I would prefer grass but I don't think it is as big an issue as others make out. 

I was going to mention your slope but chose not to - how that's allowed is unbelievable. 

I think the difference is teams in the top flight of Scottish football should be able to maintain a *good* grass pitch. Junior sides can't always afford that and astrograss is the best alternative. 

Also, as a player you feel the aches and pains a lot more after playing 90 minutes on an artificial pitch. 

23 minutes ago, paul wright scores said:

Don't think so,  just trying to put a bit of balance into the argument. 

I thought  Rugby Park was probably the best pitch in Scotland at one point (Ayr's was equally as good) however it did deteriorate latterly. I would prefer grass but I don't think it is as big an issue as others make out. 

I was going to mention your slope but chose not to - how that's allowed is unbelievable. 

Would never ever contest that our slope is shocking but our surface is very good, so much so that Partick thistle under 18s loved playing on it on Sundays for two seasons and its hosted morton, ayr and airdrie. 

It's not ideal but better than plastic for me. 

Grass all day long. Our home pitch at parklea is good for having games on but it looks horrible to play on. Seen some nasty injuries also with players studs getting stuck in the atsro grass.

Grass pitch all day long bring them all back

Archived