Plastic not so fantastic

spit

So the top flight clubs have signed a petition about plastic playing surfaces, 75% of players signing wanting killie, Hamilton, ect to be forced to remove them and reinstall grass, if this goes through were does that leave junior clubs in the same predicament, personally I can see the advantages, ie not as many postpoments in adverse weather, but also prefer a grass surface for an actual match, would the juniors need to follow suit I could affect alot of clubs if it does

The rules would only apply to the 42 clubs of the SPFL. In England artificial turf is allowed at conference level & below. The football league & Premier League do not allow them (hybrids are allowed however).

In Scotland a ban in non-league would be a mess as most clubs with artificial pitches are playing on grounds owned by the council. Factoring in the cost to lay them down in first place you'd have a hard time getting councils to tear them up & lose revenue streams. The same costs apply to clubs with artificial that own them.

Then leads to the question, what if the juniors then have the same petition as the 42 spfl clubs, and a massive amount vote in favour of removal, if it's good enough for the spfl sides then it's got to be seen the same at junior, I know alot of junior players hate playing on them, infact some hate even training on them, a can see this rule causing some serious questions at all levels,

I thought the proposal was to ban from SPFL premiership only? Theres a hell of a lot of teams in bottom two tiers of SPFL that have artificial surfaces so cant see it gaining any support from lower level SPFL teams. Shouldn't really affect any non league teams .

Ah I misread it as applying to the SPFL as a whole. With 3 top flight clubs & two guaranteed to be in the division having such pitches I don't see it passing.

As I said over in the premiership forum the leveller is everyone installs ash blaes pitches imo.

1 hour ago, spit said:

Then leads to the question, what if the juniors then have the same petition as the 42 spfl clubs, and a massive amount vote in favour of removal, if it's good enough for the spfl sides then it's got to be seen the same at junior, I know alot of junior players hate playing on them, infact some hate even training on them, a can see this rule causing some serious questions at all levels,

I would very much doubt this rule will affect lower league football.

serious question where did all these players who hate training on astro train before ? 

My guess would be indoors on a hard surface or on pods which are Astro turf very few teams have grass training facilities that allow a proper session you can have on Astro ?

Players now have better facilities for training go back 15 years teams would be training on ash / grass area with lights with no ball just running 

To my knowledge there is actually no confirmation, as everyone disagrees from all the studies, that playing on astro causes more injuries. In fact there is no correlation between injuries and type of surface played on. 

Steve Clark actually said it best, if it is more likely to get an injury whilst playing and training on 4g why don't Kilmarnock have more injuries? 

I'm not an pro astro person, I don't mind either way. I did like playing on a good grass surface, however I would take astro over a poor grass surface any day of the week..... And the further down the levels you go, the poorer the grass surfaces are. For me if a club is sustainable because of their astro turf pitch then that can only be a good thing.... The cost to upkeep a grass park can be particularly high, not counting for the man hours of volunteers involved at lower levels. 

2 hours ago, F_T_Y said:

I love how it is good enough for champions league games, world cup qualifiers and the like but not for a team like motherwell.

If you can't play on  4g surface you shouldn't be in the game.

Is the pitch at Killie of the same quality as the ones in the CL?

9 minutes ago, santheman said:

4g is fine at the lower level but not in the top league.

Ask anyone who has been to Livingston.

An absolute abomination of a pitch

The pitch at Livingston is absolutely fine, it takes time for a new pitch to bed in.

The problem is, too many people make judgements on 3G because it looks shite on TV. I was there a few weeks back for a game and you don't even notice its artificial. 

I trust these Premiership players complaining will refuse to train on the surface with immediate effect, aye right.

8 hours ago, Burnie_man said:

The pitch at Livingston is absolutely fine, it takes time for a new pitch to bed in.

The problem is, too many people make judgements on 3G because it looks shite on TV. I was there a few weeks back for a game and you don't even notice its artificial. 

I trust these Premiership players complaining will refuse to train on the surface with immediate effect, aye right.

Spot on. 3 or 4 posters here making an absolute embarrassment of themselves posting comments out of sheer ignorance. 

Firstly ‘Astroturf’ is a brand that dates back to the late 80’s. In computing terms it would be Spectrum or Amstrad of computing world. Simply doesn’t exist anymore. Worryingly even Derek McInnes can be added to the list of ignoramus who uses this term.

Add in the imbeciles who use the fictitious term of 4g and there’s simply no boundaries! 

29 minutes ago, Bundesliga Boy said:

Firstly ‘Astroturf’ is a brand that dates back to the late 80’s. In computing terms it would be Spectrum or Amstrad of computing world. Simply doesn’t exist anymore. Worryingly even Derek McInnes can be added to the list of ignoramus who uses this term.

Jeezo,...lighten up chief,...everyone knows what is meant by calling it "Astroturf" !

Should we all stop calling our hoovers a "hoover" just because it isn't made by Hoover ? Everybody knows what the term means. Even if they don't know how to work the hoover.

Jeezo,...lighten up chief,...everyone knows what is meant by calling it "Astroturf" !
Should we all stop calling our hoovers a "hoover" just because it isn't made by Hoover ? Everybody knows what the term means. Even if they don't know how to work the hoover.
He is correct though in referring to people who talk about 4G and even 5G pitches. There is no such thing.

8 hours ago, Black Pennel said:

The point is AstroTurf has always had very negative connotations, and rightly so as those pitches were dreadful back in the day.

It’s like night and day however compared to modern day 3G. 

I accept that at the top level players don’t necessarily want to play on it as clubs should have the money to invest in a decent grass pitch with adequate draining etc,  but this almost daily barrage in the media by certain clubs who blame them for injuries just doesn’t stack up. Firstly the research tells us otherwise and secondly, are they trying to pretend that injuries didn’t happen on a football pitch prior to 3G pitches being installed. It’s laughable.

After hosting two training sessions for the Russian U19 Women’s side in April last year ahead of the U19 Euro Championships, the success of those visits has saw the Club being asked to host a similar visit by the German U17 Women’s national side as they gear up for the elite round of qualifiers for the U17 Euro Championships.

Yesterday, a visit by Scottish and German FA delegates confirmed the suitability of New Murrayfield Park and we will look forward to hosting the German ladies in the near future. The German elite group includes our own Scottish Ladies U17's as well as the U17’s of Norway and the Republic of Ireland. 3G at Blackburn United seems perfectly fine with International association's and to be honest I can't remember any team's we have hosted having any complaints. Also the 3G allows all our community club teams to train & play when if was grass this wouldn't be the case. The football is as good and I certainly haven't seen injuries caused by it either. 

FB_IMG_1550317300161.jpg

Archived