Bloo Toon v Resurgent QP

The weather looks to be ok for the weekend thankfully. Well.... blowing a bloody gale as usual at Peterhead, so "ok" is relative.

Will we put out the same attacking formation? Hawke kooked a wee bit out of sorts on Saturday. A change there?

Anyway, happier to be going this week than 4 or 5 weeks ago when we looked a little lost.

Looking forward to Gerry's first tackle on McAllister.

• Replies 51
  • Created
  • Last Reply

We're not going to be involved at the business end of anything, so if I'm Mark Roberts I'm looking at using the rest of the season to develop younger players and guys who might stick around next season. 

The next two weeks are games we'd not be expected to do well in on paper, but we've bucked that trend before. I'd bring young Grant back in. Harsh on Billy, but there's a lot of learning to be done over the next couple of weeks against good sides. He should be refreshed and raring to make the jersey his own. These are the type of games you learn most from. 

Same goes for young Calvin as well. I'd be looking to give him 180 minutes against some streetwise ex-pros. Would be looking to rest Gow because it's likely to be a physical battle. Agree with HD that Hawke looked a bit off it, but he's the best option for a game like this. Go up there, compete, learn and we might nick a positive result again if things go our way.

Might agree about Gow and the physical side....who would you start though? He has looked a bit silky recently.

Grant for Mortimer? We might need more in the way of a defensive defence this week. We'll see how the coach sees it.

Looking forward to a pint or two at Stonehaven and serious and informed chat on the bus.

15 minutes ago, Hampden Diehard said:

Might agree about Gow and the physical side....who would you start though? He has looked a bit silky recently.

Grant for Mortimer? We might need more in the way of a defensive defence this week. We'll see how the coach sees it.

Looking forward to a pint or two at Stonehaven and serious and informed chat on the bus.

Could see Moore playing "in the hole" and running off Hawke. We might even switch back to a four, in which case I'd have Billy in front of Grant down the right.

A number of possibilities, but think the next couple of games could certainly help bring on the likes of Grant and McGrory. Playing them consistently between now and the end of the season would be huge for their development. Would hope we could then sign them up for next season as well. 

It's a tough one to call because Mortimer and McLean have played well in recent weeks, but we could very easily get picked apart against better quality sides if we play the system we've played in recent weeks. Will be interesting to see how he approaches it. 

54 minutes ago, an86 said:

Could see Moore playing "in the hole" and running off Hawke. We might even switch back to a four, in which case I'd have Billy in front of Grant down the right.

A number of possibilities, but think the next couple of games could certainly help bring on the likes of Grant and McGrory. Playing them consistently between now and the end of the season would be huge for their development. Would hope we could then sign them up for next season as well. 

It's a tough one to call because Mortimer and McLean have played well in recent weeks, but we could very easily get picked apart against better quality sides if we play the system we've played in recent weeks. Will be interesting to see how he approaches it. 

I think it is the centre of the defence that needs the shake up. Gerry is well off the pace at the moment. McKernon  is turning into a Wharton. We could get murdered through the middle. Hope I am well wrong.

4 minutes ago, williebraveheart said:

I think it is the centre of the defence that needs the shake up. Gerry is well off the pace at the moment. McKernon  is turning into a Wharton. We could get murdered through the middle. Hope I am well wrong.

McKernon isn't a centre half, so we're comparing apples and oranges with him and Wharton. We need a run of games with a stable and settled defence.

I'd be tempted to go back to the four, with Gerry and Gibby at the heart, and Jambo playing in front of them. I'd go with Grant at right back as well for the reasons previously mentioned. Left back is a weak area. McLean did well at wing back as an attacking threat, but defending isn't his game. Would be tempted to bring Summers back in, although I'm. Unconvinced, but he can certainly put a ball in against Peterhead! 

Regardless of who we put in, this will be an extremely tough game and we'll need to be right on it. 

28 minutes ago, an86 said:

McKernon isn't a centre half, so we're comparing apples and oranges with him and Wharton. We need a run of games with a stable and settled defence.

I'd be tempted to go back to the four, with Gerry and Gibby at the heart, and Jambo playing in front of them. I'd go with Grant at right back as well for the reasons previously mentioned. Left back is a weak area. McLean did well at wing back as an attacking threat, but defending isn't his game. Would be tempted to bring Summers back in, although I'm. Unconvinced, but he can certainly put a ball in against Peterhead! 

Regardless of who we put in, this will be an extremely tough game and we'll need to be right on it. 

Don't see any point changing the defence. Certainly look a lot more comfortable with Mortimer and McLean as wing backs and even when we went away to an inform Stirling Albion, that proved to be no issue for them. To change the whole formation when we've not lost a game under it would be ludicrous in my opinion, especially when it's for players who were massively culpable for heavy defeats at Elgin and Edinburgh. I like grant and I think he has a big future but I just see no point changing the system just now. We've had double figures in shots in each of the last three games aswell which I've not seen in a very long time 

However we go about it we need to start & up our game if we have championship aspirations. Have been at most games & would say the last time down at Berwick is the only game where we played as well as I would have hoped. The previous game down at Hampden against Queens was I would say our worst performance of the season over 90 mins, we have had a couple games when we forgot to turn up for the 2nd half, Annan away & Clyde at home. We need to put another run of wins together Saturday would be a good time to start.

1 win in 12, resurgent indeed. 

You obviously haven't a scooby what resurgent means. Think...Clyde being gash for 10 years and doing ok this season. That's resurgent. Ditto QP being pish for a couple of months and now being 1970s Brazil-esque.

We've been great the last couple of games. Gearing up for the usual lashing of Clyde.

My reason for wanting to change it is that I feel that Peterhead have players who can hurt us pretty badly. We can't afford to overstate the last three games either. It was one win and not against any of the stronger sides. I also didn't think we played well last week. 

Past few games have been better, of course, but I don't think we're good enough to go out with the "we'll play our game and let the opposition worry about us" attitude. If we go out and play with wing backs high up the park, we're playing with fire. We're not blessed with pace in the centre of defence either. I think it makes much more sense to go up there and be compact and disciplined. We could do the latter and still get pumped, obviously. The simple fact is that they're better than us. 

Think it would be suicide to change much, if anything, for this game. Mortimer and McLean have actually been defending well in addition to their attacking work and they both seem to have the pace to sustain it. However twice Billy's been subbed to manoeuvre Summers into LB again but I'd be nervous about any change in defence. Gerry's clearly not up to scratch yet which is probably why Jambo is still sweeper. But that's having a knock-on in the middle because Galt and Gow both sit very high and leaves just two patrolling what can sometimes be a 30-40 metre gap.

For me, the best place to defend against Peterhead is as far away from our goal as possible. They're not actually that good a team but have two predatory strikers that can snatch something from nothing. I'd bring Gow on as an impact sub. Moore's more of a pace man and we need a bit more aggression alongside McGrory and Roberts, maybe Peters to start.

Whatever the format, everyone needs to be on their toes from the go. Heid aren't the silky passers like EC, just really good at scoring. Get amongst them and keep the ball when we have it and we can outplay their defence. Then all we have to do is score.

Queens Park seem to have replaced Stenhousemuir as our bogey team. One point from two games is not good enough if we want to win this league so 3 points on Saturday is vital to keep our hopes on track for winning the title at the end of the season. With McAllister, Sutherland, Dow and Lyle in our team we should be beating teams like Queens Park with goals to spare. I would take a narrow 1-0 win to keep the pressure on Edinburgh City and prevent Clyde from catching up on us. The wind should not be a factor tomorrow so no excuses like last week when it spoiled the game for both teams. 

2 hours ago, Blue-Toon said:

Queens Park seem to have replaced Stenhousemuir as our bogey team. 

That's a level of reverse pyschology that Alex Ferguson would be proud of. Can't ever recall anyone calling us there bogey team before.  Might even copy that as my signature it's that good. :)

1 hour ago, macclyde+ said:

Mon the Queens !

Naw, naw, naw. You're getting it all wrong there macclyde+. If your looking for greenies you have to say something obvious, immature and churlish about QP and there'll be the usual utterly obsessed wee gang  along in as much time as it takes for them all to pm each other. But fret not, QP fans won't dish out the riddies. We're all growed up .

Good effort though. Make the same post this time next Friday and I'll buy you a QP scarf.  

21 hours ago, an86 said:

It's a tough one to call because Mortimer and McLean have played well in recent weeks, but we could very easily get picked apart against better quality sides if we play the system we've played in recent weeks. 

We were very easily getting picked apart for weeks before we changed to the current system. Don't see the point at all in making any unforced changes. As you said, we're not going down and we're not going up so let's keep the line up that has served us well the last few weeks ( I obviously reserve the right to do a complete u -turn on this view if heading back down the road half-pished on the receiving end of a pumpin)  

Archived