Airmiles Credit Card

Romeo

Me and Mrs Romeo now do a fair bit of travelling around now that we are in our dotage and the kids have thankfully fucked off and left us to die.

We both have a credit card (separate companies) that we use for day to day stuff and pay in full every month. Never really though about an Airmiles card.

Anyone on P&B recommend a card? Are the cards where you pay an annual fee worth it in term of the extra miles?

Best answer gets a free book about the history of concrete from @Melanius Mullarkey

1 hour ago, Romeo said:

Me and Mrs Romeo now do a fair bit of travelling around now that we are in our dotage and the kids have thankfully fucked off and left us to die.

We both have a credit card (separate companies) that we use for day to day stuff and pay in full every month. Never really though about an Airmiles card.

Anyone on P&B recommend a card? Are the cards where you pay an annual fee worth it in term of the extra miles?

Best answer gets a free book about the history of concrete from @Melanius Mullarkey

It depends how much you spend.  The BA American Express offerings can be good value if you are willing to churn them every six months.

PS. I am sure that this will be the best answer so please donate my book to your local neds bonfire.  Thanks.

I've got the basic BA AMEX card but don't really spend enough on it to every come close to the AVIOS requirement for companion tickets, etc. Think it's 20,000 points to get the companion ticket which equates to £20k of spending.

However, one of my clients' uses his to pay his company fuel bill each month and as a result, gets free business class tickets to the US every year. 

Lookout for signup offers - we have BA cards that we got because they gave you x amount of miles for joining, although use the American Airlines ones on a day to day basis because their points are better on a day to day basis, and you can convert them all into Avios miles for use with whichever carrier in the group. Or something like that, I just do what I'm told.

3 hours ago, Romeo said:

Me and Mrs Romeo now do a fair bit of travelling around now that we are in our dotage and the kids have thankfully fucked off...

Hang on...whit?

This is like finding out The Village was set in the present day.  I genuinely envisaged you as a pimply teenager. 

34 minutes ago, Armand 2 said:

I've got the basic BA AMEX card but don't really spend enough on it to every come close to the AVIOS requirement for companion tickets, etc. Think it's 20,000 points to get the companion ticket which equates to £20k of spending.

However, one of my clients' uses his to pay his company fuel bill each month and as a result, gets free business class tickets to the US every year. 

"Free" is a relative term.  These will still cost over £500 each with avios and a companion voucher.

5 minutes ago, Estragon said:

Hang on...whit?

This is like finding out The Village was set in the present day.  I genuinely envisaged you as a pimply teenager. 

Was actually planing on watching that at some point you utter c**t.

I am 47 years young.

I used to have the American Express Platinum chargecard when I travelled every week as the sign up bonus and perks made it worth the annual fee.

You can also choose which airmiles program you transfer into which makes it a bit better than an Avios based one for example.

You get 2xPriority Pass unlimited access with the Plat Chargecard as well which means you can get in the lounge if not flying business or with a low cost carrier.

4 hours ago, Romeo said:

They’ll get f**k all from me and be grateful.

4 hours ago, Romeo said:

Still never understand why you don't call her Juliet.

I'm a bit pissed off that I switched my Tesco points to Avios to get cheap flights with Flybe only to find out British Airways are taking them over, who I don't anticipate ever using, and there's no way changing the points back to Tesco.

Archived