Your local paper versus your club

Done. Would have been good / insightful to have a question about what role local newspapers DO still have; if any. The question 'are they still as important....' is a bit leading and obviously the answer is no, but that doesn't really tell us/you very much. Would have been interesting to ask L1 fans if there is anything that their local rag does well (or even, has started doing in response to the threat from club sites / social media). The Brechiner can't really compete with the excellent club media team (particularly not this season) but it is a bit limited by the fact that the same editorial team covers all the Angus teams/papers, I suspect, and just move whoever is the local team onto the back page and the others inside depending on which paper it's for - brechin advertiser, Montrose review, whatever. Do any local teams still give exclusive content to their local paper? 

9 hours ago, Infirmary Street said:

Done. Would have been good / insightful to have a question about what role local newspapers DO still have; if any. The question 'are they still as important....' is a bit leading and obviously the answer is no, but that doesn't really tell us/you very much. Would have been interesting to ask L1 fans if there is anything that their local rag does well (or even, has started doing in response to the threat from club sites / social media). The Brechiner can't really compete with the excellent club media team (particularly not this season) but it is a bit limited by the fact that the same editorial team covers all the Angus teams/papers, I suspect, and just move whoever is the local team onto the back page and the others inside depending on which paper it's for - brechin advertiser, Montrose review, whatever. Do any local teams still give exclusive content to their local paper? 

Thanks a lot for this. Also speaking to journalists at local papers and media folk at clubs to find out the last part. 

9 hours ago, SimonLichtie said:

I have completed this, and would hope you're able to quote me in your dissertation where I refer to The Courier as a 'pile of w**k'.

I couldn't agree more, especially for sport as it seems there are two teams in "Courier country" that get any clarity or respect. Constantly referring to the Loons as Forfar FC even when there's a photo of the stand in the article clearly showing we are FORFAR ATHLETIC FC. That's been boiling my piss for years.

if I didn't buy it I wouldn't know who has popped their clogs (it's a generation thing.

Archived