Ayr United 01/02 - Almost but not quite

That 3-3 game scarred me! I think it was Russell Latapy's first game in Scotland and we had them well beaten right up until the end.
Did Latapy and Franck Sauzee not both make there debuts that day, that was the day they won the league I'm still convinced loosing the 3-1 lead gave Hibs the boost to win the league

On 2/14/2019 at 00:13, D'Jaffo said:

I thought I didn’t mind Dalziel until I read a piece about how he asked Barry Ferguson for his shirt after the semi final.

The guy was a p***k, I've probably mentioned this before however me and one of my Ayr supporting mates approached him in the Club de mar one Saturday night when he was out on the randan with his best pal Mark Campbell, we told him we were Ayr fans and his immediate aggressive slurred response was "do you think I give a f**k about Ayr Utd", I'm only here for the money son" and then he stumbled away to perv over another young 18 year old girl.

We lost all respect for him after that episode but apparently that was par for the course with him when he'd had a skinful.................

I thought the recent interview with David Castilla was revealing.  Spoke warmly about his time at Ayr and mentioned Iain Munro as a positive influence on the club.  The smile slipped a little when Dalziel’s name was mentioned.  We can only imagine what a competent manager would have done with the cash that guy was given.  Hard to believe, but there were 2 separate seasons under his management where we used more than 50 players.  Absolute scattergun approach which yielded as many stinkers as gems.  

Even when he did get it right, he invariably fell out with people in quick time and gave the revolving door another spin.  Seemed to me that he was particularly guilty of punting anyone who was popular at the club or with the fans and who might threaten his own position - Iain Munro, Andy Walker, Ronnie Coyle and Andy Millen are just 4 who spring to mind.  The treatment of Ronnie Coyle was particularly dreadful and completely poisoned the feel good factor of a championship winning team - I vaguely remember Duncan George walking out on the eve of the new season for Stranraer.  The fact that Millen was still playing premier league football for st Mirren nearly a decade after Dalziel chased him out the door rather speaks for itself.

Sadly for us, the one man who couldn’t face reality was Bill Barr.  And no, the cup runs of that era do not cover up the crass waste and incompetence of those years.

I thought the recent interview with David Castilla was revealing.  Spoke warmly about his time at Ayr and mentioned Iain Munro as a positive influence on the club.  The smile slipped a little when Dalziel’s name was mentioned.  We can only imagine what a competent manager would have done with the cash that guy was given.  Hard to believe, but there were 2 separate seasons under his management where we used more than 50 players.  Absolute scattergun approach which yielded as many stinkers as gems.  
Even when he did get it right, he invariably fell out with people in quick time and gave the revolving door another spin.  Seemed to me that he was particularly guilty of punting anyone who was popular at the club or with the fans and who might threaten his own position - Iain Munro, Andy Walker, Ronnie Coyle and Andy Millen are just 4 who spring to mind.  The treatment of Ronnie Coyle was particularly dreadful and completely poisoned the feel good factor of a championship winning team - I vaguely remember Duncan George walking out on the eve of the new season for Stranraer.  The fact that Millen was still playing premier league football for st Mirren nearly a decade after Dalziel chased him out the door rather speaks for itself.
Sadly for us, the one man who couldn’t face reality was Bill Barr.  And no, the cup runs of that era do not cover up the crass waste and incompetence of those years.
I had a post in the SRE a few years back and somebody said something very similar about Dalziel they tagged Glynn Hurst in his reply and Glynn in a very diplomatic way basicly confirmed that Dalziel was a dick who relied on Munro for most of the success.

5 hours ago, WATTOO said:

The guy was a p***k, I've probably mentioned this before however me and one of my Ayr supporting mates approached him in the Club de mar one Saturday night when he was out on the randan with his best pal Mark Campbell, we told him we were Ayr fans and his immediate aggressive slurred response was "do you think I give a f**k about Ayr Utd", I'm only here for the money son" and then he stumbled away to perv over another young 18 year old girl.

We lost all respect for him after that episode but apparently that was par for the course with him when he'd had a skinful.................

Should have gave him a slap .what a dick of a man .

98-99 is the season I remember fondest. I think had we parted with the money to get another year out of Andy Walker the next season might have been better. His back to goal play and layoffs for hurst and Teale’s pace were brilliant.

The Isaac English/Steve Kerrigan/Alain Horace team runs it close but not quite.

The whole Dalziel era was a rollercoaster with some of the best and worst days as an Ayr fan. Nights like beating killie away in the league cup with the Ayr end actually moving below your feet live long in the memory. Some of the absolute jobbers that we flung cash at won’t.

That was my first ever season as a season ticket holder, start of 96/97 I believe?

On 14/02/2019 at 13:02, Jeff Venom said:
On 14/02/2019 at 05:54, Iain said:
That 3-3 game scarred me! I think it was Russell Latapy's first game in Scotland and we had them well beaten right up until the end.

Yogi scored the two late Hibs goals too, which iirc came in the last 5 minutes or so.

Correct they were late goals ,it was Latapys first game I'm sure of it,I think it might have been big Mark Campbell's first for us after buying him from Stranraer 

I remember this team specifically from Champ Man 01/02.

Always would try to sign Neil Scally for DM, Gary Teale as an attacking RW, Annand or Grady as they were expensive to sign and Pat McGinley was exceptional in the SPL for a season or two. Paul Lovering was also fantastic at LB.
Was great starting a game with that Ayr team, had the backbone of a top team right there.

8 hours ago, Stellaboz said:

I remember this team specifically from Champ Man 01/02.

Always would try to sign Neil Scally for DM, Gary Teale as an attacking RW, Annand or Grady as they were expensive to sign and Pat McGinley was exceptional in the SPL for a season or two. Paul Lovering was also fantastic at LB.
Was great starting a game with that Ayr team, had the backbone of a top team right there.

Pretty sure I was doing the ratings for Ayr on CM around that time. No objectivity was allowed to slip into my process.

Archived